"detroit locker"

-

forced 340

Reaction score
Just picked up a brand new Detroit locker from Mancini racing for the swinger. Pull it out of the box and what does it say??? MADE IN TAIWAN!!!! So pissed!! You cant even buy a part with "Detroit" in the title that's made in the USA anymore.... Anyone else get a shocker like this with a part for you're cars?

It's a knock off. The real Detroit Locker is made by Eaton and is still made in the US. Most anything else comes from overseas.

I think it might be worth it to contact them and ask, be weird if it is a knock off as suggested by rrr. But I guess making the box with the correct eaton info would be the easy part.
Let un know what you find.

It's a knock off. The real Detroit Locker is made by Eaton and is still made in the US. Most anything else comes from overseas.

Incorrect, they are made in Taiwan. Do seem to be high quality though, just installed one of their Trutracs. If you must use USA made then an old power lock could be rebuilt. I'd suck it up & use it.

i called Mancini and the assured me that its not a knock off. is a USA part built in Taiwan.. he said "they will either say made in USA or made in Taiwan bu its still an american made part"...

Just picked up a brand new Detroit locker from Mancini racing for the swinger. Pull it out of the box and what does it say??? MADE IN TAIWAN!!!! So pissed!! You cant even buy a part with "Detroit" in the title that's made in the USA anymore.... Anyone else get a shocker like this with a part for you're cars?

a fellow posted on here a few weeks ago showing his new gear set up and in the pics you can see plain as day his true-trac with --Built in Taiwan -- clear as day
you probably bought the same one part # 913A572 which is actually a helical gear true trac unit . they tend to throw the Detroit Locker name around freely.
I installed a true Detroit Locker ( part# 187SL14A ) into a friends 8-3/4 a year ago and it was made in Poland.

you should be fine with the part ,,,,welcome to the new world economy ---

Mine is old enough to actually be made in USA.

I think the whole value of my 8.75 (which will be up for sale shortly) just went up!

8.75" True-Tracs have always been made in Taiwan. Earlier units were simply not marked as such.

I have a bunch in stock that say "Made in USA" on the box and "Made in Taiwan" on the unit.

Well I stand corrected. Thanks yall. I guess nothing's made here anymore except trouble.

made in usa on the box, eaton sucks. hey lawyers let's file a lawsuit. just installed Strange/US gears 4.30 gears-made in USA on the ring gear-quiet as a church mouse!

i put a "detroit locker" in my 2000 jeep cherokee about 5 years ago and it was a U.S. made part then.

as to the labeling "Made in the U.S." - i believe it is Federal Law that all parts carry a label indicating the "country of origin." SOME auto parts now say on the box "assembled in the U.S." or "assembled in the U.S. from parts world-wide." as to the "legality" of the labeling "Made in the U.S." - you would have the legal right to return the item to the vendor asking for a full refund under the "truth in labeling" federal commerce laws. if you do decide to "lawyer up" and get your money back, you are entitled to ALL your money back - a miss-labeled part is considered to be a "deceptive" part. thus, you cannot be charged a "restocking fee." further, if you filed a suit at your local magistrate (or District Justice) alleging "deceptive trade practices" (which is the legal term for this kind of suit), you could also ask for all your damages including the cost of shipping the part back to the vendor.

i would urge you to send this part back to the vendor. MAKE SURE that you take pictures of the box showing the "Made in the U.S." label and also a picture of the "Made in Taiwan" stamp on the part itself.

good luck...

I bought American Racing wheels a few years ago from Summit Racing.Made in China.

Oh I can top that. One of the many jobs of The Secretary of State in each state is known as "The Keeper of the Flag". You can send them a very reasonable fee and they will send you a State flag. USED to be that was the nicest flag you can get. Last one I got from the Georgia Secretary of State's office was a POS nylon flag made in China. How bout THAT?

Well, we've no one to blame but ourselves. Everyone of us here wants it for as cheap as we can get it, no matter what it is.

I totally agree with RRR with respect to us always wanting cheaper stuff. I made the same statement to friends at lunch last week. And this has been going on for decades.

Not trying to turn this political, but I believe if Trump wins, one immediate thing that will happen is that prices will go UP. I think he will implement huge tariffs on imported goods making it cheaper for American manufacturers to start making things here again. Of course this will be good in the long run. If it happens.

paid the money and invested in a pair of strange 31 spline billet axles. bearings **** themselves after about 2000 miles. preesed them off and guess where they were made, CHINA. was not impressed at all.

As long as quality is ok, who cares? Run it and see how it performs. Do those things come with any sort of warranty? Is there any thing in a detroit locker that can break? I always thought they were pretty bullet proof.

-
Back