did I mistake?

-

americanmuscle

americanmuscle
Reaction score
so ok. I've been on this forum for like two weeks. and I find it that everyone is real nice and very helpful. but at the same time I see a huge ammount of money being put into other peoples projects with like 440s amd hemis. I've spent almost a $1000 on my project replacing the six with an 8. a guy gave me a motor to build, so I took it to the machine shop and had cam bearings, cleaned, bored .030, and valve guides, and seats lapped and ground. that was $700, and bearings, gaskets, pistons, rings, paint, and all that small stuff covers the rest. this is my first rebuild, but I want to know if I just made a really big mistake. is that a ton of money that I just wasted, should I have done it all to a 360? it's all going in to a 4 door dart, and lots have people have already given me **** about doing that.

You have to do what you feel, If you want to do it then do it, why let other people tell you what you want to do. If it was there money then this is a different story, but it's not. No thats not alot of money to spend on a engine, thats about right.

BJR Racing

There is nothing wrong with building a 318. A-bodies don't weigh much and a 318 will push one down the road real nice.

If it's power you want, there are a few good web articles on building a 400 hp 318 on a budget. I do have a concern that if your car was /6, do you have an 8.25 or 7.25 axle? 7.25 will self destruct behind even a stock 318. Luckilly 8.25s are cheap, plentiful, and with a little TLC will stand up to a 318 no problem.

I personally don't care for big blocks in A-bodies, only because of the extra weight. I like my cars to handle....

Building a 4 door is cool...they are the ultimate sleeper:thumblef:

I have a modest built up 318, and for the street it is more than enough. Anything more for me would be for racing or just bragging rights. Peace

yeah, haha I'm getting to the rear axle. it'll happen.

LOL....yeah, I keep saying the same thing. I still have a stock 8.25 with 2.45 gears!! There is plenty of power on tap, but I lose it in the gearing..oh well, one thing at a time. At least I haven't blown it up yet!!

The other nice thing with a small block is that they will get (relatively) better mileage than a big block. Yeah, I know, you shouldn't worry about fuel economy in a hot rod. But, I want to be able to drive mine to work (52 miles round trip) and not tear the wallet up TOO bad..

dont worry, enjoy the car. I just paid a lot of $ and hours of my own labor to build a mild 360. The car pulls really well' but what if i HAD gone for a bigger cam, more compression...? Its always tempting to admire somebody elses combo isnt it, especially on site that has some serious muscle on it!

I don't think you made a mistake at all. As stated above, you can really get a lot out of a 318. I have one in my 1964 Valiant and it runs pretty strong. In the near future I'm going to pull it and build it up even more. I agree with that 7 1/4 rear though. You can probably kiss it goodby pretty soon. The 8 1/4 is a good economical option. They're probably all you will ever need for a street car with up to 400hp. I know of guys that race with them also. Good luck, Mike

OldVart said:
No matter what you build, someone else always has a better build plan for YOUR car. Enjoy what you have. :)

truer words have not been spoken.

Spending a grand on a motor or a car is nothing in this sport/hobby.As BJR and I can tell you from years of doing this,you will in the further spend 10,s of thousands of dollars,building what you want and the way you want it.Do not under any situation allow any one to tell you that car is a piece of crap,not worth it,its ugly or any thing along those lines at all.If you like that car,thats all that matters,if your happy,we are happy.A example of a one of a kind mopar is in a recent article,build a mint condition chrysler new yorker and install a hemi and A/C with a 518 O/D tranny.talk about land yacht,with power.I would be proud to own a 4 door dart with a good power 318.Just think,you get the car all done,running good,and some clown wants to race you,you say you have a /6 in the car and you will try,nail the gas and toast him in a 4 door dart as his freinds laugh at him being beat by a granny car and four doors and a /6,we are talking killer sleeper car here.I would clean up the interior,do a good paint and body work,spend the money on the motor/tranny/diffy and make it very steady drive to have fun and go with.At any time you can change to a nother car you like and remove the motor and tranny and install in a nother A-body car,no big deal there.The reason people say its not a good car is,they have no vision or they are jealos of you having a car they want.I say be different,and don,t follow the crowd,and do your own thing your way,mrmopartech

Heres food for thought;
I have a 360 on the stand. It'll take about a grand to do the short block with what I want. 42 more cubes and more stroke for torque over a teen engine. Sounds win win right.
Then why am I dropping a 318 in the Duster.

There is a finacial edge to it, the 318 was a running engine. But Lord knows that never stopped me before. The 318 is fine. I built one a while back. Simple rebuild parts. Add higher comp. pistons which were not really anymore expensive than stock replacements. Add stock 360 heads cam, caeb and headers. Lil'sucker ran high 13's all damn day long.

Nothing wrong with what your doin. It's what you want. Your car is exactly that Yours. I was told the same thing. All my friends gave me hell for putting a 8 in my wagon. Then more when they heard I paid $300 for used headers. Yadda Yadda. " It's a wagon nobody likes them or any other four door " But that's what makes them special, that and I don't give a rat's ***. Look in tow yards for the non liked cars, I picked up a running 78 volare wagon with a rebuilt 904 for $50. Figure it like this 318 motor running from a yard costs at least $100 on a good day, trans $75, 8 1/4 rear drum to drum $75-100, rotors-calipers and all the other little things. I've had great use of the 8 1/4 but doing those 1/4 mile one legger burnouts plays hell on them gears and bearings. All my fault but what the hell.

I kept geting flack for building a /6. Now that it is mosly done and I am running 15's people dont have much bad to say. I love the 4-door sleeper!

Don't let other's tell you what to do. Just do what you want and enjoy it. There will always be someone faster anyway. And you can make just about anything fast with enough money. Have fun and enjoy. Ron

haha wow, thanks for the encouragement. yeah, after owning a 67 VW bug, I love the space, and the 4 door aspect is great for all the stupid **** me and my freinds do. we can all hop out at a moments notice to find the beer in the woods, or reword "sale pending signs to say "***** dangle". but seriously, a strait, nice looking, running car for $700 was ok for me. oh and I'll try that sleeper trick. and when I had the six in, I raced a kid in a six mustang. I won, but stopping was a different issue

My wife calls it the "Fart in the Garage".....dont let it faze ya, I've built alot of cars of all differany kinds...never for anybody but me(and maybe some of the ford guys to get jealous of)... :color:

hey dont care to much about pepole that dont like 318:s they are great engines, im curently putting my old 318 back togheter and i have realy missed it since it left my enginecompartment in my duster for a pretty hot 340, those 318s are realy reliable and make good power:)

:notworth: I feel there are two ways to do a car, "bone stock" if your a purist or as frank sinata said " I did it my way". People at the car shows with factory correct cars make fun of my duster,( /6 under the hood) and completly decked out with 340 wheels and badging, duel snorkel, black hood and stripes. They say open the hood and laugh. :book: I have a 340 I am building and will shock them chev and ford guys when i call them out in front of there purist car members to "line em up" when the 340 is installed. Yes it will be a hot rod not a correct car but thats the way I want it. Be proud of your Mopar. I also have a 74 dart 4 door that I would rather have than a stang or nova. :drinkers:

hey i have a 73 scamp 318 and have no intentions of it going anywere so do what u like i think a 4 door dart would be cool especailly with a 318. good luck have fun with ur car and enjoy it. and as stated its your car so have fun.

wayne
73 scap 318

-
Back