Diesel truck dies, chevy, not mine

-

dartcuda

Mopar Or No Car
Reaction score
A friend at work has a 94 6.5 turbo diesel truck. Says it will just die as he is driving down the road. He will pull over and it starts right back up and runs like nothing happened. But it keeps on doing it... He did take it to a shop and they said they couldn't find any codes coming. Any ideas or is there a good site to go to to ask about this problem

This might be overly simple, but something could be in the fuel tank...when the pump runs, there's suction, pulls said object over the intake in the pump. Truck dies, no more suction. With the size of a diesel fuel filler, something could get in there pretty easily

We have a small fleet of service cube vans at work most are gm 6.5 diesels, a few of them had been doing the same thing with no codes when checked, I think some of them were traced back to the computer being faulty. Same thing happening the engine would just shut off and restart with no problem. Its a tough thing to figure out as usually if you starve from lack of fuel the engine will require some cranking to get going again, restarting right away without hesitation usually leeds back to something electrical which is like a needle in a hay stack. Tell your bud good luck, these gm diesels are junk compared to the Cummins or the Mercedes in the Sprinter vans. Check on the web I'm sure there's a forum somewhere with the real experts.

There is a fuel shut off solenoid, that could be acting up, if they lose power for just a second or hang up a little they shut the fuel off, but like was mentioned before could be in the ecm. I work on diesels and the gm's are notorious for fueling problems, most of the time it's the pump itself, but this doesn't sound like his problem.

If it's an older diesel yes just a little starving of fuel will kill it, with the newer ones they are like gas engines and there are a lot of sensors that can act up or go bad and that can shut them down too.

Hey guys, thanks for the feed back. I will let him know what you think it might be, and they do sound like good answer for what might be going on with it. I appreciate it as I am sure he will too.

Yep, sounds like a very brief power interuption to the fuel solenoid. Could be as simple as a bad ground.

We see a lot of pump problems at our shop. The module on the side of the pumps go bad a lot, and the optic sensors inside the pump do too. I've seen them cause stalling problems, and they seem to be temperature related more often than not. From what I've seen, it's a crapshoot getting a good reman pump.

Thanks for all the replies. I let him know what you all think it might be, and he did say that the shop who looked at his truck called him and said about that same thing. He appreciates the advice you gave me for him, and extends his thanks to you all. Will let you know what it was when he gets it running again. I also want to extend my thanks to you all for the replies.

I had a 94 gmc with the same problem and lots of friends and coworkers with it too. either the injection pump needs to be replaced or it's just the fuel driver which is a little box on the intake that is over heating and causing it to quit. it needs to be replaced and moved somewhere away from the direct heat of the engine. gm had major problems with the 6.5 turbo diesels and there was a recall on the injection pumps. maybe there is a chance it hasn't been replaced yet. good luck.

another common problem on those 6.5 motors is the cam sensor. I have replaced a couple on the 6.5 and a bunch on the powerstrokes.

Again thanks, he doesn't have a computer so i will check it out for him... He did price the solenoid and it is around $800 so if it might be something a little cheaper I am sure he will be happy.

Would the cam sensor cause the problem he is having with it just dieing and then starting back up?

-
Back