Differential Plug

-

Nonie

1969 Dodge Dart Base Seda
Reaction score
Quick question, hoping to save a trip under the car. I want to make sure we have the right tool for taking out the bolt to check the gear oil level in the rear end. We have a 1969 Dart with the 7 1/4 pot. We changed out covers a while back, and are not sure that there is enough gear oil in there. We were told that the bold is a T30, but I would like to be sure before we run off to purchase it.

Thanks much in advance.

Nonie

Almost positive that you just use a 3/8 square drive of a ratchet or short extension.

Torx was invented in 1967 and it took a while for them to be adopted into Detroit's products. The plug on a 7-1/4" diff is 3/8" square drive and it may be stripped or rounded out to make it look like a Torx drive plug. If so, you won't be able to get it out with any normal drives. In that case, I use a propane torch to heat it and then a hammer and sharp chisel on the edge, tapping it in the counterclockwise direction to back it out.

Good luck!

Torx was invented in 1967 and it took a while for them to be adopted into Detroit's products. The plug on a 7-1/4" diff is 3/8" square drive and it may be stripped or rounded out to make it look like a Torx drive plug. If so, you won't be able to get it out with any normal drives. In that case, I use a propane torch to heat it and then a hammer and sharp chisel on the edge, tapping it in the counterclockwise direction to back it out.

Good luck!

Remember the ones that look like a torx, but were just 2 3/8 squares that looked like a star pattern?

Many thanks for the information!! I read on another thread, that showed up after I posted my question that the correct bit is the double square, so an eight sided bit. Is there somewhere that you can buy the eight sided bit? We changed out the cover because the previous plug had been, we have to assume, stripped to the point of useless and replaced with a glob of silicon. I am thinking that if we can get the correct bit, it will help prevent future stripping of the bolt.

Anyway, thanks again for your speedy replies. If we can get the right bit, as least we have a good idea of how to make it work.

Nonie

Many thanks for the information!! I read on another thread, that showed up after I posted my question that the correct bit is the double square, so an eight sided bit. Is there somewhere that you can buy the eight sided bit? We changed out the cover because the previous plug had been, we have to assume, stripped to the point of useless and replaced with a glob of silicon. I am thinking that if we can get the correct bit, it will help prevent future stripping of the bolt.

Anyway, thanks again for your speedy replies. If we can get the right bit, as least we have a good idea of how to make it work.

Nonie

Not that I am aware of. I've never had an issue with the double squares, its the torx that always gave me trouble. even with the right bits.

I have never seen a bit like that either.
Just use the 3/8 square and don't tighten the crap out of it.

FYI, I use a little RTV on the threads of that and my oil drain on the motor both.
(they never leak a drop, and you don't have to tighten the crap out of them.)

Nonie

Check the service manual and I believe you will find that they show the square 3/8" drive tool as the correct tool. I agree with the others since I have never seen anyone have or use a special eight sided bit to remove that plug.

-
Back