Diffrence between 426 hemi and 426 hemi RB

-
426 Max Wedge 2X4 intake Early 60's Factory Race/ Street engine and also 426 Street Wedge single 4 barrel engine
These had your regular cylinder heads on them

426 Hemi has Hemispherical cylinder heads with basically a RB block

Correct,

The 426 Hemi is an RB Block, yet nobody calls them that.

The 426 Wedge is what was called an RB Block, in both the 1963 and 1964
Max-Wedge - and 1964 and 1965 Street Wedge versions.

When the 440 came into play in 1966 - the RB Block 'name' was mentioned more so.

They're both heroically awesome engines.

/thread.

:D

RB is a reference to raised block. These are 1 inch taller then the B block which are 350,361,383,400. The raised blocks are early 383's, 413, 426,440. The early 383's were the start of the raised blocks and were available with the long ram intakes with the carbs positioned outside of the valve covers.

there is a 426 hemi

and there is a 426 RB

the 426 comes from the 413/426/440 RB family
the 383/400 are similar but they are B engines
the 426 hemi stands alone, although there are some older hemis 392 i think they were.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/383.html
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/Hemicntr.html

street-hemi.jpg

a basic 426 hemi is going to cost you $15k
a race ready version is going to cost you $20k-$40k and if you want twin turbos and stuff expect to pay even more, probably $75k

There was a 426 wedge (1965 vintage?) for sale here last Saturday. $150 with a eddy single plane manifold. Was that block any good for big power?

I don't think that there is much difference to say a 440 block. You can put a max wedge top end on a 440 block and almost everyone will not be able to tell the difference from a factory 426 wedge motor. A buddy of mine did that but used 413 parts to make it look like a factory 413 car and fools everyone at car shows

426 Wedge was the base for the 426 Hemi and 440. Mopar also produced
a 383 RB but is hard to find.
392's were 1st generation and had nothing to do with 2nd gereration other then being a Hemi

I have here at my garage a 440 block with both hemi and 440 motor mount bosses. It also has Hemi main bearing caps with the three center bolts that go through the side of the block. It is a 440 block. but has all the Hemi upgrades when poured. It is not filled but is very heavy compared to a standard 440.

Do you have any plans for that block OMM? How do the main webs look compared to a 440? What did the block come on or was it a Mopar Performance piece?

I ask because I am wandering into 528 drag race land...

In the mid 50's, Chrysler had many different size Hemi's 241, 331, 354, 392. All had rear distributors. The Hemi style heads were more expensive to manufacture, so they phased out the Hemis after 58 and replaced them with the big blocks "B" & "RB" wedge style heads.

However, they did not make as much power per cubic inch than the Hemis (Don Garlits had a good story about that once). Chrysler tried to get more power out of the big blocks in 62 and started the 413 "Max Wedge" with better flowing heads and cross ram intakes. In 63 & 64 the Max Wedge was bored out to 426 CID but still had "big block" style heads.

In 64 Chrysler decided to go for more power and made a new Hemi head and adapted it to the RB big block with different head bolt pattern. You cannot put big block heads on a 426 Hemi or 426 Hemi heads on a big block as they are not interchangeable. Chrysler then stopped developing the Max Wedge or big block program to develop the Hemis. As previously posted Stage V did a Hemi head that would bolt onto a RB block. The 426 Hemi is easy to tell because of the Hemi heads and front distributor. The old 50's Hemis all had rear distributors. Dead giveaway...
And the older 50's style Hemi heads are not interchangeable with the 426 Hemi heads.

The 426 wedge parts will also fit the regular big blocks. The 426 wedge is an RB block and all parts interchange with other RB blocks. The B blocks can interchange heads with the RB blocks as they are all the same bolt pattern. But you still have the issue of B vs RB for parts interchangeability for the big blocks. The B blocks have a 3.375 or 3 3/8 inch stroke, where the RB blocks have a 3.750 or 3 3/4 inch stroke. The 426 Hemi also shares the 3.750 or 3 3/4 inch stroke with the RB engines. You may also interchange a Hemi (Kellog) crank with a big block (say 440) crank, however the 426 hemi crank is stronger and has 8 bolt flex plate. If you buy a used 426 Hemi always verify what crank you are getting, as many guys like to keep the original 426 Hemi crank for themselves and their big blocks and give you the standard 440 (RB) crank with the Hemi. Buyer beware... Obviously the Hemi Kellog crank is much stronger than the regular RB crank. They have the same main and crank journal diameters to make them work in both applications.

its funny too bcoz i have found a lot 426 industrial engines here ....they look the same as regular car engines except the numbers are on the back of the block ....like behind the intake.

and im pretty sure they turn in the opposite direction....

at first glance they look just like any RB engine but they are different

In the mid 50's, Chrysler had many different size Hemi's 241, 331, 354, 392. .

Not quite true. Chrysler PER SE only made the 331, 354 and 392

Dodge and Desoto had "their own" hemi engines, which were in some ways quite different. The Dodge design was based on the early A Poly block

its funny too bcoz i have found a lot 426 industrial engines here ....they look the same as regular car engines except the numbers are on the back of the block ....like behind the intake.

and im pretty sure they turn in the opposite direction....

at first glance they look just like any RB engine but they are different

This is true. Many Hemi's early and 2nd generation were dubed as industrial and the numbers are in the back. My 354 came from a farm truck.
Hemi's ran everything from fire pumps ,wind mill , orchard fans and marine engines which ran counter clock wise. One I know of ran an air raid siron.

"2 nd generation." I don't believe any 426 hemi was in industrial service, IE heavy truck, industrial, marine. Maybe you didn't mean it to sound this way, but marine engines come in both cw and ccw rotation. The air raid sirens were all early hemis, not 2nd generation engines

When you locate a production model, low deck 426 hemi, please let me know.

413-426-440 were RB engines in production form. Hemis are RB's with some extra stuff for head bolts, main caps, etc.

-
Back