Direct Connection Valve Covers

-

TF360

Reaction score
Do the chrome Direct Connection Valve Covers fit properly with the Edelbrock Performer Rpm Manifold, or do they have to be notched for clearance at the runners like the Mopar Performance Valve Covers?

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but I have installed those valve covers on 5 or 6 motors with an LD340 with no trimming needed. @vntned is a big fan of those valve covers and may have used them with a Performer RPM. Since I tagged him, maybe he will chime in.

I've not run into an issue with stamped steel valve covers and intake runners. The cast AL don't have the clearance built into them as the stamped ones do and they are usually to blame for leaking gaskets if one doesn't double up on the cork or grind clearance into the slight overhang of the AL ones.

Thats also why you find so many broken ears on the cast ones. People will wrench em down to stop the leak but will end up cracking them as they are hanging up on the intake runner.

I have had no issues fitting the Chrome DC valve covers on ANY Edlebrock intakes. I have personally had them on small blocks with a LD4B, LD340, Performer 318/360, RPM AirGap, and an Eddie VictorW2. Granted, I always use the thick valve cover gaskets.

On second thought, NO they won’t work! If you give me a PayPal address, I’ll get them out of your way!

I have had no issues fitting the Chrome DC valve covers on ANY Edlebrock intakes. I have personally had them on small blocks with a LD4B, LD340, Performer 318/360, RPM AirGap, and an Eddie VictorW2. Granted, I always use the thick valve cover gaskets.

On second thought, NO they won’t work! If you give me a PayPal address, I’ll get them out of your way!
:rofl:

The the Chrome direct connection valve covers that don't say direct connection on them but have a part number are just identical stock replicas of the factories with Chrome.. The anodized ones maybe a little bit different story that say direct connection on them...

I have another question about direct connection factory valve covers for a small block. Actually 2 questions

I have a set here that on one of them, has a gold sticker with black letters saying "DIRECT CONNECTION STAGE IV". Is there any significance in that? I know the 1st 3 "stages" referred to 413 and 426 Wedge engines.

Other question: going by shape and contouring, they are definitely factory Mopar parts, not aftermarket.
But I need to know how I can clean up the built up sludge on the back sides. I'm afraid to dunk them in anything for fear of damaging the chrome on them. And just a constant scrubbing in a solvent tank isn't gonna get them completely clean, not is it gonna get the built up crap under/behind the baffles

I have another question about direct connection factory valve covers for a small block. Actually 2 questions

I have a set here that on one of them, has a gold sticker with black letters saying "DIRECT CONNECTION STAGE IV". Is there any significance in that? I know the 1st 3 "stages" referred to 413 and 426 Wedge engines.

Other question: going by shape and contouring, they are definitely factory Mopar parts, not aftermarket.
But I need to know how I can clean up the built up sludge on the back sides. I'm afraid to dunk them in anything for fear of damaging the chrome on them. And just a constant scrubbing in a solvent tank isn't gonna get them completely clean, not is it gonna get the built up crap under/behind the baffles

Pics ?

Diesel should remove the sludge . Just contain it to the inside to protect the stickers .

Stage IV heads were B/RB heads from the '70s. I don't remember the details, but they had ports that were reconfigured. So if the sticker is on a SB valve cover, it's because someone thought it would look good there.

Oh. I never even knew there was a "stage 4" til I seen this.

I don’t remember much about the Stage IV specs. They were a good head. If memory serves, they were the best stock head treated to bigger and better valves and valve job. I do not remember what they flowed. I don’t think DC did that back then or at least for the public.

Then they went on to Stage V, VI & VII heads.
Stage V also being cast iron heads.
Stage VI being the first aluminum heads offered.
Stage VII being basically Edelbrock Victor castings.
I don’t know if MP dictated any changes to the Edelbrock head for improvement.

no carving on my dc covers on my 383 with eddy rpm intake , but on a different note . i just called o'reilly auto parts and asked them if they had a rocker cover gasket , oh ya they did not know what that was . so i corrected myself and asked for a valve cover gasket for a slant six 225 ci . the reply was '' is had an aftermarket engine '' . i went to my napa parts store and got one right of the shelf . lol
DSC07564.JPG
DSC07565.JPG
DSC01125.JPG

The worst part of modern auto parts stores are not just the uncaring kids but the lack of an actual BOOK to look into! Though I’m not sure kids today know how to work with a book.

True story;

A friend of mine had a Pontiac LeMans with an 8 cylinder. Being 18, we don’t know jack! But figured the auto parts store would know. (How wrong we were!)

He kept getting the wrong part. He finally went to a known AP store with a killer rep of getting what ever you needed & getting it right.

He walked in, placed the water pump on the desk and said to the guy “I need this replaced W/P for my LeMans and no one can get it right. I bet you don’t have the part.” The guy picked it up, rotated in his hands and said;
“That’s because you have an Oldsmobile engine in your Pontiac! Let me get you a good pump.

Another time I walked into a junk yard looking for rear drums to a ‘67 Oldsmobile 98. The fella comes walking back with a drum and asks if that’s the one. I’m 18, don’t know Jack! I shrug my shoulders and say it looks good. He asks if I have the original drum with me. I did! I brought him the drum, he takes a 1 second look at it , grabs the drum he brought out and says, “Nope! Wrong drum, I’ll be right back!” He had it! I couldn’t tell you what he saw. But he knew in a near instant.

just couldn't believe that big of a parts store would have no personal that can think without the books in front of them . my napa store is two old guys that runs the store and only uses the books as reference . i guess gray hair to no hair rules , lol .

Yea, and all these dipshit nitwit spring chicken’s constantly have something to say about a “boomer”.

I’m a young dude myself, but that boomer term really drives me bonkers. I guess it’s the best they got.

Hey some of them where not any better in the late seventies and eighties! In the late seventies I had a Australian 1977 Ford falcon Hardtop with Aussie 351 cleveland in it. I went to a large parts store to get an inlet and ex manifold gaskets. I said can I have a 2v gaskets. Well the smart *** behind the counter asks does it have a 4 barrel or two barrel carb on it? I say it is a 4 barrel but that does not make any difference as all clevelands now have 2v heads. See in about 74 australia made there own cleveland V8s in 302 and 351 sizes and cast there own variaton of cyl heads that were half way between 2v and 4v castings (yes they were crap) but all were 4 barrel with a thermo quad carb. The salesman did want to give me the 2v gaskets because he said they would not fit and I would be back to get the other ones. I just paid for the 2v ones and walked out. Our 351 clevelands were not real quick and were horrible on gas. My 318 charger ( 2barrel) was a lot faster and used about half the gas of the ford and had heaps more torque noticable when towing!

-
Back