Disk Brake Conversion question

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I had just done a disk brake swap on my 72 Dart. I had installed the Calipers on the rear of disks instead of the front. Is there gonna be any issues if I leave the calipers on the rears of the rotors rather than the front. The only immediate issue I had noticed, and may not be from the install, is that the wheels are toed out about 2 1/2". Should I switch the rotors/spindles so the calipers are on the front of the rotors?

The calipers don't affect the alignment. Check the ball joints, the upper control arm, etc.

Thanks for the quick reply Green1, I am not really worried about the alignment issue. I am just really wondering if there is any issues with having the spindles switched from side to side.

I'm an old, haven't done it since 1972 ,front end mech. If it is the calipers, rims won't seat on the hub. If the calipers don't rub, it is something loose/moved, in the front end.Like the adjustments bolts/nuts were not tight enough. The brakes can't cause that. Check wheel bearings, bushings, idler, ball joints, and especially- upper control arm bushings, and location.

Reading back, when you swapped, did you swap lower ball joints? that is the problem. Toe-in. Adjust and take to alighnment shop. (adjust ride height first)

Yes, I did change the lower ball joints to the newer 73-76 style joints. Also put on tubular UCA, and disk brake spindles. The UCA rubbed against the mounts on the frame, didn't like having to trim that area.
I just like the calipers on the rear of the rotors, keeps the dirt out (dirt causes faster wear). Just trying to make sure there will be no issues by switching them from side to side.

-
Back