Disrespect at a car show.

-

AnotherA

Reaction score
I was taking pictures of a ACR Viper at Mopars in the Park this past Saturday when a buddy and I witnessed one of the purest forms of disregard for others property and general stupidity.

Going back through the pictures I found what seems to be a fairly decent representation of the incident.
Notice dopey and dippy standing next to it and the hood is up.

_MG_3095.jpg

I turned and was talking to my buddy when I heard the thud of a hood being firmly shut. I didn’t see who did it but dopey and dippy looked to be the only ones near it. Next, they take turns hopping into the the ACR and taking pictures of each other.
Could not believe my eyes! My buddy was like “ one of them has to be the son of the owner”. I don’t know, it just didn’t look right and they weren’t acting the part. It looked like the kids were just obliviously doing what they wanted.
_MG_3099.jpg

The a guy comes up with a green viper shirt on and talks to them. I assume it was the owner, didn’t hear what was said because I was using a telephoto lens and was about 30 yards away.

_MG_3104.jpg

_MG_3106.jpg

Dopey and dippy walking away.
_MG_3107.jpg

I found myself walking towards them about to give them a lesson on respecting other peoples belongings when logic broke through my seething anger. It was a lose/lose game that I was about to enter. If they had the audacity to do what they did and I confronted them over it they would either deny it even with proof or just blatantly tell me to screw off, then what do i do? Blow up and have a beat down when it wasn't even my car... So i turned away and chalked it up as a learning lesson.

1. If you are going to be away from your vehicle LOCK IT.
2. If you find someone in your vehicle that shouldn’t be there inform security.
3. If the previous 2 fail, stuff the body(s) in your trunk and leave the show. :toothy6:

Disclaimer. I could be totally wrong on my interpretation and maybe the kids asked to sit in it and take pictures and they went about it all the correct way. But from what I witnessed between taking pictures, turning and talking to my buddy and turning back. That story doesn't really add up.

What morons. I wonder how they would act if the owner caught them and dragged them to their parents? Then again the parents most likely wouldn't do anything.

i usually roll my windows to about an inch from the top and then lock it when i'm away, i don't need anyone trying my car for size or ripping my tuff wheel or steeling.

I bet they asked or know the guy, he looks to be standing there the entire time.

I seen the car to. Took pics of it, but didn't get to close. Those kids just
don't understand respect of other peoples things. That there parents fault.
I also seen kids riding bikes around the cars. Seen two of them ride the
bikes into one of the buildings with no care of the people walking in there
or the cars.
Kids now of days, Wouldn't one like to string them up?

I would guess maybe they asked first. That man in the Green is in every photo. I cant imagine someone in his car and he wasnt around the other side to jerk them out while they were taking pictures.

I would guess maybe they asked first. That man in the Green is in every photo. I cant imagine someone in his car and he wasnt around the other side to jerk them out while they were taking pictures.

Thats what I was thinking, he woulda been right there when they shut the hood, idk how he could have not seen/heard it.

I personally don't think it would have hurt to talk to them.. Sure they have no idea how much time and/or money goes into these cars.. Even if it was a $200 dollar POJ they should be told to respect others property.. Tell them to always ask the owner first. Heck he probably would of let them sit inside and take the pics.. I know I would have but ask first..I figure they are just young naive kids.Kids that are the future of this hobby.

I personally don't think it would have hurt to talk to them.. Sure they have no idea how much time and/or money goes into these cars.. Even if it was a $200 dollar POJ they should be told to respect others property.. Tell them to always ask the owner first. Heck he probably would of let them sit inside and take the pics.. I know I would have but ask first..I figure they are just young naive kids.Kids that are the future of this hobby.

This hobby is in trouble! That is just no respect at all. I'm 43 and was raised that if it did not belong to you dont touch it!! I hate kids at car shows.

MMMM snake skin green. Been thinking of painting my Duster that color. As for the kids. I don't know. If that was the owner in the green shirt he sure does not look to upset about it. They must of asked. I hope they did.

I questioned the same thing but he was talking to a group of people that were behind the Vipers.
Hope I'm completely wrong and the kids were respectful.
I'm just going off what I witnessed.

You just don't pull that stunt with another man's pride and joy.

I would seriously hope they asked or knew the guy. I don't like when people lean on my car to get a better look inside the engine bay and my car is not even 1/4 the cost of that guys. I was always told that you should go to a car show like you go to a strip club...sit on your hands and don't touch or expect an *** whooping.

This hobby is in trouble! That is just no respect at all. I'm 43 and was raised that if it did not belong to you dont touch it!! I hate kids at car shows.

I was taught the exact same thing.And these kids should be taught the same.At least they where showing an interest in something besides video games or drugs. And hopefully these pics don't tell the whole story and they asked permission first. I take my kids to car shows all the time and I can guarantee you they will not touch any ones car. Heck I have seen adults with just as much of a lack of repsect.

At shows I usually pull next to a car with people who have set up shop behind their car.

I then compliment their car and strike up a conversation for a little while, then I ask them if they are going to be there for a while and ask if they don't mind keeping an eye on my car, I give them my card with my cell # on it, and this seems to work well as people especially die hard protective car people that sit behind their car are more than willing to go full fledged redneck on someone for messing with anyone's car.
I just hate siting around behind my car since I like to look around and meet new people.

I know a couple members here that have had to tell idiots to keep off their car.
One guy had some chick laying across his fender getting her pic taken by a b/f.
He was like "Get off the car please" and she gave him the stink eye.

Dude, some people just need the beat down Daddy never gave them.

It seems that some people feel compelled to put their hands all over pretty cars and they just can't help themselves.

I am used to people touching all over my car and I know it's gonna happen everywhere I take it and yes I am used to it- there is always that assclown that you have to have words with because their Parents must have been jag-offs.

Problem is the parents don't have any respect for other people property either. Been a few years since I've entered in car shows but when I did it was not unusual to have someone standing and talking while leaning his rear end against my car, usually opened a door or some such, didn't phase them, finally if I would ask them to move they would give a dirty look and walk off. Also have seen mothers with their snot nose, sticky fingered little rug rats (around 5-8 years old), mothers let them rub their hands all over the car, hang off door handles,etc. but when they get near the bike section, the mothers will almost rip their kids arm off keeping them away from the Harleys.

My buddy caught somebody sitting on his fender('74 Duster) after he got out of the movies. He went off like a cheap watch to say the least...

I witnessed almost the same thing at a car show a few weeks ago! A mother was walking around with her two children (roughly around 5 yrs old) having them climb in cars so she could take there pictures. A guy I had been standing next to when we noticed ran over and let her have it, in which all she did was look at him weird cause she didn't appear to speak or understand English, but after observing one of the cars, which was a gorgeous ford roadster, all you could see was feet prints on the tan interior and finger prints all over the windows! I couldn't believe it, what is with people these days! no respect!

Respect, common sense, courtesy are all a lost art these days. It truly is a shame. It's not just a car shows, it's everywhere.

I am actually surprised when a young person says excuse me, or asks if they can do something BEFORE they do it.

Example: I was standing looking at something in the store and a young couple, teenagers, walked between me and what I was looking at and the guy said "excuse us" I stood there dumfounded.

At many of the shows I go to they actually have to make an announcement for people to please not touch the cars. It's very worrisome when you cannot even leave your vehicle to look at the other cars and come back to find that someone has either stolen something from your car or worse yet scratched your vehicle. I try to be vigilant at cruise ins and at shows but man this world is so full of people who have NO respect for other peoples property.

Little bastards like that deserve to have their wrists broken. :angryfir:

At shows I usually pull next to a car with people who have set up shop behind their car.

I then compliment their car and strike up a conversation for a little while, then I ask them if they are going to be there for a while and ask if they don't mind keeping an eye on my car, I give them my card with my cell # on it, and this seems to work well as people especially die hard protective car people that sit behind their car are more than willing to go full fledged redneck on someone for messing with anyone's car.
I just hate siting around behind my car since I like to look around and meet new people.

I know a couple members here that have had to tell idiots to keep off their car.
One guy had some chick laying across his fender getting her pic taken by a b/f.
He was like "Get off the car please" and she gave him the stink eye.

Dude, some people just need the beat down Daddy never gave them.

It seems that some people feel compelled to put their hands all over pretty cars and they just can't help themselves.

I am used to people touching all over my car and I know it's gonna happen everywhere I take it and yes I am used to it- there is always that assclown that you have to have words with because their Parents must have been jag-offs.

I say you just walk up without saying a word and start groping the girlfriend!!! then give HIM the stink eye :lol: ... Or offer to let him sit in the car and then slam his leg in the door "by accident" ;)

That's the only kind of thing that they will understand.

eh, but what do I care, mine is a daily driver, hell I've had people ask me what my car was doing at the show :sign5:

I was at a car show a couple years ago where I witnessed a 6 year old boy climb up on a 1932 Packard running board and lean against the spare tire and start kicking his shoe up and down on the running board, denting and scratching it all up, he was wearing dress shoes with hard rubber heals. The owner came running up to the kid, grab him off his car and gently placed him off of the fender. The father came up and started yelling at the guy wanting to know what he was doing with his kid. The guy very nicely explained to this douche bag what his kid did and that he wanted to know why he thought it would be alright for his kid to do what he did. The father grabbed his kid, told the car owner to phuq off and started to walk away. The owner of the vehicle grab the fathers arm and told him he wasn't going anywhere without paying for the damage his kid did. The father told him again to phuq off and yanked his arm away and started to walk off. Since I was a judge at the show the owner of the car saw my judges badge and asked me if I could get one of the host clubs to come over. I said I would do one better and have a cop come too, I knew that there were several police officers walking around the show checking out the cars. I brought back a club member and a police officer, the owner of the vehicle told the cop what had happened, showed him the damage and also was able to tell the cop where the father and kid were. The cop went and got the father and kid, brought them back over to the vehicle and then asked the car owner if he wanted to press charges. The cars owner said that if the father would pay for the damage he wouldn't press charges. The father again told the car owner, in front of the cop, to phuck off. At that point the cop said I guess you'll be pressing charges! He placed the father in handcuffs and got on his radio and called for back up and for CPS. They took the father to jail and the kid was taken by CPS. I found out later that the cars owner had to sue the father in court to get reimbursed for the damages. By the way, the car had just came out of the restoration shop and had had a $35,000 lacquer paint job, it cost $6500 to repair the damage because they had to repaint the front fender, running board and rear fender. Some people just have to learn the hard and expensive way, keep your fricken kids off cars that don't belong to you. My father taught me at a young age to never touch a car at a car show, always lean over to look in engine compartments and to make sure my hands were in my pockets and my belt buckle was covered.

Dan in Silicon Valley

^^ WOW. Glad it was taken care of. I doubt the douche bag learned his lesson.

-
Back