Distributor lock down collar?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I got a lock down collar for my small block and went to install it last night but the picture in the instructions shows it on the oil pump gear. I was under the impression that this collar goes on the distributor shaft. Am I wrong?

Can you show us where the directions are, or at least an online ad for what you have?

I must be dumb because I can't figure out what these collars do. From the picture I've seen, the collar goes on the bottom of the distributor shaft. You put a .010 feeler gauge between the oil pump drive and the collar and lock it down.

I'd like someone to explain in depth how this works.

Is that the collar you put on the dist shaft to keep it from bouncing up and down from jerky cam motion? If so I think you load the dist shaft toward the block and lock it down.

I was gonna put one on my 540 MSD dizz.

Is that the collar you put on the dist shaft to keep it from bouncing up and down from jerky cam motion? If so I think you load the dist shaft toward the block and lock it down.

I was gonna put one on my 540 MSD dizz.

Exactly. I'm not at the shop and can't find the pictures online from the directions. Sorry, I thought this was a pretty common part.

I must be dumb because I can't figure out what these collars do. .

!!!!??? REALLY ???!!! Because neither can we, because for one you have not done what at least a couple of people have ASKED YOU do do, and that is to POST what it is that you are doing, working with, the part? Link? Directions? Photo? Who made this? Where did you get it? LINK??????????????

!!!!??? REALLY ???!!! Because neither can we, because for one you have not done what at least a couple of people have ASKED YOU do do, and that is to POST what it is that you are doing, working with, the part? Link? Directions? Photo? Who made this? Where did you get it? LINK??????????????

Trying to hep someone with no information is impossible but in this case burdar was just another commenter trying to figure out what is going on here. doogievlg is the op.

I know what he is talking about. It's a collar that attaches to the bottom of the distributor shaft. It is "somehow" supposed to stop the distributor shaft from bouncing and changing the timing.

The distributor already has a collar under the housing with a roll pin in it. That collar limits how far the shaft can be pushed "up". Like I said, I don't know how the aftermarket collars that go on the bottom of the shaft work. I'll see if I can find a picture.

'S what I suspected. KNOW THIS about that.............Mopar distributors are NOT designed to withstand thrust. There is no bearing of any kind anywhere in those distributors to withstand such loads. If you are going to use one of these for anything except quarter mile use, you probably need to find a good machinist and fashion some sort of thrust bearing onto the the bottom of the dist. body.

Rough morning? My apologies I couldn't find the info that the other guy did.

Hamburger used to sell them. It only limits upward motion of the oil pump drive, to cut down on fluctuations at the Distributor. Not much force at all. I run them on all my motors and have for decades. 100,000 miles and more, no problems.

It only limits upward motion of the oil pump drive, to cut down on fluctuations at the Distributor.

So basically, you lift up on the distributor shaft, put a .010 feeler gauge in between the collar and the oil pump drive and lock it down? There must be a big gap between the top of the drive gear slot and the bottom of the distributor shaft.

I've heard of people having to grind the bottom of the distributor a little because it bottoms out in the drive gear slot. I guess those people don't need that collar.

So I just slide it to the bottom of the distributor shaft and make sure there is a .01 gap between that and the drive shaft?

I think so. Give Hughes Engines a call and ask them. Is that where you got the collar?

From what "66fs" said, this stops the oil pump drive gear from jumping. It would do that with a brand new distributor too.

You can buy 1/2" shims to go under the stock distributor collar to limit movement as well. Speedway Motors sells them. I bought some from mcmaster-carr. I was amazed how much slop was in my brand new MP distributor. I had one with .030" play and one with .042". I set them both to .008".

If you are building your motor, yes. If your motor is together, I used to put the collar low on the distributor shaft and snug the set screw so it would move, but stay where it stopped. Use grease to hold a 1/2 inch ID washer .010 to .020 thick, made of paper or plastic to the bottom of the thrust spacer so it will leave a .010 to .020 gap between the pump drive gear face and the thrust spacer. Install the distributor and torque the hold down. Remove the hold down and distributor and tighten the set screw. Remove the washer and reinstall the distributor with the thrust spacer. Torque the hold down.

if you are building your motor, yes. If your motor is together, i used to put the collar low on the distributor shaft and snug the set screw so it would move, but stay where it stopped. Use grease to hold a 1/2 inch id washer .010 to .020 thick, made of paper or plastic to the bottom of the thrust spacer so it will leave a .010 to .020 gap between the pump drive gear face and the thrust spacer. Install the distributor and torque the hold down. Remove the hold down and distributor and tighten the set screw. Remove the washer and reinstall the distributor with the thrust spacer. Torque the hold down.
it holds the drive gear down to keep the gear from bouncing !!!!

-
Back