Disturbed Duster

-
Figured, I would post this up as it might help somebody out, there is a commercially available tool to strip seam sealer, big bucks and the wheels are high. this worked almost as well. $30 air angle grinder where you can turn the speed down by a regulator and the wheel you see. Still a mess, but it chewed through all the old crap on the floor to get to the original welds for drilling. Did I mention budget? lol

Have , you tried a needle scaler?

Have found undercoating comes off easy, less,messy
doesn't damage the metal

006.jpg

haven't tried one ,but looks like it'll get in the nooks and crannies better. might have to get one. Not sure it would have got through the gooey roofing tar. it wasn't like any sprayable undercoat I ever came across.

I think the shopping list went like this:

Lowes:
1. wire nuts
2. 3" self tappers
3. ashphalt roof coating and /or creosote
4. latex caulk/ dap
5. solder, nope we're still in testing
6. great stuff expanding foam(need to winterize)
7. case of clear silicone caulk

haven't tried one ,but looks like it'll get in the nooks and crannies better. might have to get one. Not sure it would have got through the gooey roofing tar. it wasn't like any sprayable undercoat I ever came across.

I think the shopping list went like this:

Lowes:
1. wire nuts
2. 3" self tappers
3. ashphalt roof coating and /or creosote
4. latex caulk/ dap
5. solder, nope we're still in testing
6. great stuff expanding foam(need to winterize)
7. case of clear silicone caulk

I was lucky, this is what was under my carpet when I brought my Duster home. Nothin but rust, big holes and a tube of liquid nails....:violent1:

Attachments

• double holy floor.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 585
I was lucky, this is what was under my carpet when I brought my Duster home. Nothin but rust, big holes and a tube of liquid nails....:violent1:
I'm not crazy, I'm not the only one lol I feel so much better now!!

I'm not crazy, I'm not the only one lol I feel so much better now!!

yep, we bought a truck the guy said
"very little rust"

forgot to tell us
most of the floor was fiberglass .. lol

004-2-1.jpg

I might do an od trans at some point and it gives me parallels to mount a simplified crossmember and take the load off the oe crossmember and floor should I need to.

have you considered modifying the trans tunnel and cross member while the floor is out... rather than go back later to re do

thats what we are doing now, since our car ended up needing front floor replacement anyway.

yep, we bought a truck the guy said
"very little rust"

forgot to tell us
most of the floor was fiberglass .. lol

004-2-1.jpg

have you considered modifying the trans tunnel and cross member while the floor is out... rather than go back later to re do

thats what we are doing now, since our car ended up needing front floor replacement anyway.

I did think about it, and I really wanted to do it now, but alot of money going different directions on the car right now. I fabbed the connectors parallel so I can use an off the shelf crossmember if need be when the time comes and I didn't want to start cutting untill I have a case in my hands. Those connectors run all the way up inside the rail until just below the firewall. I removed a section of the top of the rail tied the connector in with plates and put the cover back on. I also added reinforcing plates and tied the torsion bar mount into connectors inside the rail and might make up a plate for the exterior. The strength should be there when I cut the crossmember. I looked at the 42rh trans thread on this sight and if I decide to do it will probably be that way. Seemed like few mods to the floor and cutting on the crossmember. A tube style crossmember should wipe out any concerns with strength width wise.

lmao, pretty scary when you get right down to it. #8 on the shopping list

8. electrical tape? what's that?

Wasnt that holding the floor pans in?? LOL
You got the title right on this thread too! Im looking fwd to watching your progress George.

Been putting the shortblock back together, I don't know why now lol It's going to sit for a bit, but I needed something different to tamper with.

Wasnt that holding the floor pans in?? LOL
You got the title right on this thread too! Im looking fwd to watching your progress George.

lol yeah, my O/l walked up the other day and saw disturbed duster at the top of the screen and asked "who's is that" and I scrolled down. She fell out and said "you got that right!"

some progress. it's the first piece I've actually put on lol

Attachments

• 12272014 090.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 509
  • 12272014 088.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 525
Deeper and deeper!!

Attachments

• 20140910_144005.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 513
  • 20140910_143957.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 486
  • 20140910_144323.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 482
Well, finished my truck so I' m back on this thing and I'll post some pics as I progress. Previous owners attempts at alternator clearancing.

Po's handywork and attempt at alternator clearancing

Attachments

• IMG_20150407_133044.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 423
Needs a bit more welding, but run out of welding gas. Cut the form out of the floor pan patch panels I pulled out of the car.

Attachments

• IMG_20150407_152438.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_20150407_141321.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 418
Took a pic of this while I had it uncoved.

Attachments

• 20150407_155451-1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 400
Not my neatest seam seal job but one side done There was some rust between the apron and the the lower cowl pan( that little triangular corner on the engine side) so I decided to do it in pieces to slide that in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20150409_183452.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 367
Thanks Mitch, little bit at a time and I'll eventually get there.lol

It took my son and I 3 years to tear our Duster down, repair all the sheet meta and get it to paint. Power train this year then interior...

-
Back