Do I need to install a fuse on a altenator wire?

-

Steven190

Reaction score
I am working on a 72 Dart and the wiring has been hacked up some. It has an Powermaster alternator installed. My fear is the wiring is not really up to par, I am thinking about installing a wire from the alternator to the stud on the starter relay to help the system until the car can be rewired later.
My question is should I install a fuse/circuit breaker in this line? If so what style and type?
Thanks

IMO Steve, you can just replace 1 wire at a time starting with that wire. What I did was purchase a spool of 10 gauge red wire and a good quality terminal pack, finished off with heat shrink. It would be easier than a fuse, fuse-able link or circuit breaker.

The way the stock wiring is set up, you have the fusible link in the system already. There isn’t a need to install another one or a circuit breaker or fuse.

That’s why I said replace.....

FYI, I am doing some rewiring in my Magnum. I have found just what the OP has found. I also eliminated a few pounds of wire. No more “Leanburn Ignition” and emission controls, relay and etc.... I’m also going to extend the wiring to hide it some to clean up the engine bay.

What I have found is the wrapped wire was pretty good. The exposed sections at the connections were brittle & often oil soaked.

There is no need to add extra wiring unless your adding something to the car that needs a heavier gauge wire than what is there already. If it runs, leave it be. Just replace what’s bad. Use the same gauge wire or thicker wire. All will be good.

I do not know how much he paid for the car, but it was put together very poorly to my view.
This is the reason I am looking at a extra wire to help prevent anything going wrong until it can be re-wired. Plus I found this when I jacked it up. What is this used for? Found this to replace the neutral safety switch which did not work.

IMG_20191006_084711410.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, sorry. I thought he meant he was adding a wire when he stated "installing a wire from the alternator to the stud on the starter relay"

Hellrats, I am still in need of info on the wiring from the Alt to starter stud, I posted this to show what the car is

A fusible link is simple safe and effective. If you accidentally had two you would have twice the protection. If you accidentally had none, well...
wmsmiley-****-hits-the-fan.gif

LOL @ Jpar!!!!

Steve, has don’t understand the picture but I’m looking at it and saying... WTF?!?! HUH?!?

I am working on a 72 Dart and the wiring has been hacked up some. It has an Powermaster alternator installed. My fear is the wiring is not really up to par, I am thinking about installing a wire from the alternator to the stud on the starter relay to help the system until the car can be rewired later.
My question is should I install a fuse/circuit breaker in this line? If so what style and type?
Thanks

YES!! There are several styles /types you could use including the "big" stuff used for stereos, etc. Size the wire according to the size of the alternator. Is this a "one wire?" If so it needs a MUCH larger wire, because that is also the "sensing."

You need to start with the output rating of the alternator. If you don't have large wire, you could make up a harness of say, 2 or even 3 no10 in parallel.

YES!! There are several styles /types you could use including the "big" stuff used for stereos, etc. Size the wire according to the size of the alternator. Is this a "one wire?" If so it needs a MUCH larger wire, because that is also the "sensing."

You need to start with the output rating of the alternator. If you don't have large wire, you could make up a harness of say, 2 or even 3 no10 in parallel.
How many speaker wires would that be? LOL...:poke:..

What I have now would be 2- 10 gauge wires in parallel The stock wire have a replaced fuse link out of the block, the new wire. The alt is the stock style with the 2 field terminals.
Would have a 4" of a fusible link, 12 gauge or maybe a 50 amp circuit breaker?
This is just my thoughts now, I am exploring the forums thoughts.
The picture is, I do not know what the strap is for

Keeps the exhaust from rattling on something.... like the driveshaft?

It's your car .... but um, electrical shorts have been known to burn down cars; too much protection is good protection.
IMO, spend a day or three and go thru the harness, especially the bulkhead connector and the headlamp switch, which is where the majority of issues are gonna be.

Last edited:
That can be dangerous AJ, get the header wrapped around the drive shaft
I have to go to our Mopar clubs picnic Thanks for the info will help to make a decision on which way to go.

on a lighter note and totally off topic...

is it just me or is that tire levitating over the tire dolly?

upload_2019-10-6_10-20-54.png

I am thinking about installing a wire from the alternator to the stud on the starter relay to help the system until the car can be rewired later.

isn't this essentially the MAD bypass assuming all other wiring is left intact?

That can be dangerous AJ, get the header wrapped around the drive shaft
Never seen that happen, and cant imagine it, but.............. never say never I guess. Headers rattling on stuff used to be common in our A-bodies; there is only so much room under there, and it all wants to occupy the same real-estate when it goes past the bellhousing. I've even jammed a chunk of 2x4 in there in a temporary pinch.
Another thing a strap like that can be used for is to support the exhaust after you unbolt it from the collector.

Last edited:
Never seen that happen, and cant imagine it, but.............. never say never I guess. Headers rattling on stuff used to be common in out A-bodies; there is only so much room under there, and it all wants to occupy the same real-estate when goes past the bellhousing. I've even jammed a chunk of 2x4 in there in a temporary pinch.
Another thing a strap like that can be used for is to support the exhaust after you unbolt it from the collector.

My only thought on the strap is that it makes the engine-exhaust too ridged, so any flexing as the engine rocks will cause the headers to crack faster, since they would take the brunt of the flexing.

I wouldn’t worry about it, however, I would rather do it right. That strap looks trashy. Not that anybody would actually see it. But I would know it’s there on my car, and I wouldn’t want it there either.

-
Back