do I remove these tabs?

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just in the process of replacing my old torker 340 intake with the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap. I have the old intake removed and i'm now cleaning up the head flanges.

I noticed these small tabs (see picture). It looks like they are from the head gasket. They are present on all four corners (2 tabs each) Do I need to remove these so that there is a flush mounting service between the engine block and the intake or do I leave them? The old intake never had any oil leaking problems with these tabs so maybe it supposed to be there...?

Attachments

• intake-tabs.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 254
I think they are only for holding the head gasket in place during head install

Yeah I'll be using RTV for the end seals, I'll just keep the tabs in place, seems to give some extra grip for the RTV like suggested above. Thanks guys.

we always use the cork and they never leak when installed properly and if there not susposed to be used why does felpro still make em

we always use the cork and they never leak when installed properly and if there not susposed to be used why does felpro still make em

This is one I'm gonna havta disagree on. There have been MANY good mechanics that had troubles with Mopar SB, Chivvies, and Ferd SBs with end seals.

I like RTV, and have used it on Mopar intakes since it appeared somewhere in the early '70s

I have never used any rubber or cork end seals, Edelbrock even mentions in the instructions to use RTV instead of the rubber/cork seals, must have had some issues with them I guess LOL.

No don't remove them. They are used to hold the intake end gaskets in place.

the last two intakes i put on (one edelbrock and one weiand) , i use the cork end seals and rtv. both are doing great and no leaks and sealed up nicely.

the last two intakes i put on (one edelbrock and one weiand) , i use the cork end seals and rtv. both are doing great and no leaks and sealed up nicely.

X2 the trick is to let the rtv set up some,skin if ya know what me meansssssssss

If your gonna use the RTV I'd remove them. You want & need a smooth flat surface for it to seal correctly & those tabs would be like an old peice of gasket in there. You wouldn't leave an old peice of gasket in there would you? The RTV doesn't need anything to hold it in place if the surface is clean enogh & you really want it to mush out around the intake & block anyway. Also if you use only RTV you need to remove the dowel pins in the block if there are no holes in the intake for them.

If your gonna use the RTV I'd remove them. You want & need a smooth flat surface for it to seal correctly & those tabs would be like an old peice of gasket in there. You wouldn't leave an old peice of gasket in there would you? The RTV doesn't need anything to hold it in place if the surface is clean enogh & you really want it to mush out around the intake & block anyway. Also if you use only RTV you need to remove the dowel pins in the block if there are no holes in the intake for them.

That is a point to consider. Where the head gasket has a material other than metal, that material is surely oil soaked so RTV wouldn't stick to it. Before I would use a hobby knife to clean those tabs down to bare metal I would use a utility razor to completely remove them.
I clean the dowel pin holes good too so RTV sets up in there to create an anchor.

Good tips. I'll remove the tabs with a razor and I'll make sure to clean the old dowel holes properly before I install the intake. Thanks guys.

-
Back