do we go to far on this cars some time????

-
if you enjoy it , do it. if you dont enjoy the blood, sweat, tears and pure satisfaction of doing it yourself, farm it out, or dont do it at all. in this day and age, the only way i get anything done is to do it myself. the results are not always what we imagined, some better, some not so great. with money tight for most of us, we end up putting away our projects for another day, saving up for that 8 3/4 or what not, cutting corners, or just plain selling out. someone who has their car or cars "on the block" but still continues to work on them, clearly enjoys what they are doing and loves to see results, but is apprehensive about seeing a "finished" project. as we all know, they are really never "finished" because the wheels of our imagination and visions of what we want to see in our own cars are constantly spinning. i am one of those people who wants instant gratification (i think they call it ADD lol) and it only took me a year to tear down my charger, paint it and rebuild it, but it will never be "finished". i have a stockpile of rims and tread that i am constantly changing out (ADD lol) because i like to change what i am seeing.if you love it ,keep at it, enjoy it , dont make excuses, just DO IT !

Two years Finished three ground ups plus many Quick fixes and turn arounds. I am now starting on the next Duster of three to do then my Demon. I like the a and b -bodies, I know every bolt. The ones that my son pics are projects we gotta get the books out for.

Attachments

• DSCF2838.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 19.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 112
  • scan0001.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCF0043.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF0016.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF0012.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF0087.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF0084.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF0052.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 117
Too true.. trying to get a summer driver done for THIS YEAR. All it needed was a paint refresh, and a D/S axle. Well, instead...

Underside cleaned, chassis blacked. All new brakes/bearings/shocks/lines. Completely rebuilt fron end. Engine rebuild. Tranny refresh/new clutch etc. Every bolt cleaned/bracket detailed. And now going in for a probably too good paint job for a DD. Typical me lol..

"I scored nos manual window regulators a few years back. The passenger side teeth were strip and the window so would not crank all the way up and if you yank it up by hand, then it won't crank down without first pushing the window down till it got on the good teeth.

One season came and went, it made it up from the basement to a garage but never got put on. The next season it sat it the garage and come Nov, I said its not going back in the basement and finally got on--took like a whole 2 hours if that."

Drove my winter van like that for two years with D/S regulator shot. Opened door every morning to get my Timmy's fix. $20 and 2hrs, and I have power windows. Actually still occasionally open the door - habit haha..

Just remember, its the fun of doing it

Grant

Going to far is why I dont have a car right now. I cant do anything on a budget or good enough for a driver. If its not done just right Im not happy and I just cant afford perfect right now LOL

X2. Theres alot of us in the same boat.

Meet Jeepers Creepers. It was built by a good friend of mine. I don't think there's anyone who would say it was not done "right".

JEEPERS.jpg

Done right for him. Not done right for me. I just dont like the rat rod thing.

I bet that thing eats U-joints like crazy. The pinion angle cant be good with that stance.

This thread makes me think of all the time and money I've sunk into my Scamp and I think I'm getting an ulcer! :banghead:

If I had all the money Ive spent on cars, I spend it all on cars !

When me and my son bought the Duster ,it was his daily driver and he was still in High school so we had to hurry and do things to it cuz it just was not cool enough the way it was . He is now 23 and drives a new pick-up and the the Duster is just a toy for both of us to play with. If we ever got to the point that we said it was finished, I think we would have to sell it and start over again.

Bob / Bryce

The thought of my fish being down (for how long)?) to get the ratty body done has me looking for another completed street / strip car to have while da fish is outta da water so to speak.

What really scares me is I am the kind of guy who plans, buys parts, starts, then doesn't follow through.

I bet that thing eats U-joints like crazy. The pinion angle cant be good with that stance.

You talkin about Jeepers? No way. That thing is sittin on a full custom square tube chassis. Charles knows how to set um up. He has a Model A sedan rod too. They are both on custom chassis.

looks to me like the transmission is pointed to the ground and the rear sits pretty high up in the chassis. The would cause a crazy angle for the driveshaft but it could just be that the body is dropped over the frame causing it to look odd.

Either way, I won a detail shop and I did resto work before that. I make things shiny and to me a rusty cab isnt my done right. Im sure hes got plenty in his chassis and driveline. Thats his done right

Rat rods aren't my thing either, Adam, so you're not the only "odd man out"

My '48 Dodge truck is staying as close to stock/vintage as possible (possibly add an under-dash a/c system and a cd player under the seat though). Its meant to be a sunday cruiser for me.

However, If I ever come across another 40's Dodge truck (has to be missing the engine/trans or with frame damage. I won't kill one that has original parts) I'd set it on a 4x4 Dakota frame, put a Wrecker bed behind the cab and make it look like a 1940's 4x4 Power-Wagon Towtruck (wouldn't actually tow anything, but i'd use it as advertisement for my garage and as a parts runner/getter)

My friend built this in the 80's It was a 360 HP. 4X4 with lockouts . This was all put into the Unibody car. This is not a car body on a truck frame. The drive line was from a Dodge w150 and a jeep wagoneer. Retained full interior with the factory console.

Attachments

• 4x4 sat.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 79
I build my cars to drive, to date all of my builds have come in 10k or less,my 66 cuda is not a rag but does show it's age i have not dissasembled it cause i don't have the finances to rebuild it so i drive/show it as is,my sons 73 charger will hopefully come in below 10k i think as it stands now we have plenty of room. My last truck a 69 chevy sb/fleet was built by myself and a friend in 8 weeks total cost [including purchase price] less than 8k and i went up against 30k+ trucks and took thirds and top 30/40/50s type trophys. I love cars and shiney cars are great but i'm only able to spend a small amount to build mine so we do the best job we can with what we have to work with [money/parts/time]. I have come to realize that i will never have that high dollar car that everybody runs to when it pulls into a show/cruise in,my boys say i would not look right in one anyway they think i look better in my driver cuda or a rat rod or a harley [one of those is in the near future].I really like rat rods if they are not too overdone.

My friend built this in the 80's It was a 360 HP. 4X4 with lockouts . This was all put into the Unibody car. This is not a car body on a truck frame. The drive line was from a Dodge w150 and a jeep wagoneer. Retained full interior with the factory console.

Ya'll can shoot me if you like but i like that [it's a shame using that car] but it is very nice and looks well built.

I have had my Dart for a long time now. Sure I redid the interior and some other small things here and there but other than that I have just been driving it. Keep trying to save so I can get started on it but that has not been going so well. I know if I take it apart it will be down for a long long long time.

So I got a 75 Duster I was going to drive and fix up a little at a time then eventually turn it in to a BB drag car. Next thing I know the thing is in a million pieces and I don't have any of that green stuff to finish it either.

I just keep telling my self, one day, one day I will be dead and will not have to worry about it any more. LOL!

man that is very tastefully done. i had to take a second look to even tell it was a 4x4. if plymouth had put together a factory 66/67 belvedere/satellite 4 wheel drive,i bet it would have looked just like that. i would own and drive that in a minute. Belvedeer 4x4

I have gone so far that there is no stopping now...

-RPM

I think Mopar means "snowball" in some other language!

...of course I also think Volvo means "moron" in Swedish.

That pretty much sums up my project. It started as taking care of some minor cancer so I could put it back together prime it all one color and work on it one section at a time while keeping it driveable.

Now the SOB has enough sheet metal cut off of it that I have jack stands under the subframe so the car doesn't colapse on itself, and weighs so little that I was able to push it on to a car trailer myself when I recently had to move it locations.

I'm in over my head(which normally just means it takes me an extended period of time to figure it out) and I can't even work on it right now because the new shop floor is covered in car parts and I cant even aford the couple hundred bucks right now to put up shelves to clear up the floor up.

Working on these cars is like pulling a string on a sweater, one minuite your warm and happy and the next your freezing wondering why theres a pile of yarn on your floor, and your sweater is gone.

-
Back