Do you paint your engines fully assembled?

-
Assembled

swinger 340 4.jpg

All depends. It's up to the owner. Some like painted all up some don't. I run them on the stand anyway. If it's an OEM look and once I know I'm not going to have to go back into it, I'll paint it. Each one is unique.

I left the block and heads original spotty blue and rusty. Painted intake, valve covers and water pump gun metal. Timing cover and accessories gloss black.

If there's one thing for me that says 'quick & dirty' and 'taking the easy way out', then it's an engine that looks like it's been dunked in a bucket of paint.
When I see an engine painted all together with bolts and all, I start to wonder how many other easy shortcuts have been taken during the build.

For me, seperatly painted engineparts and clean bolts give a much better the appearance the builder has had some pride in his work and had an eye for detail during the build.
You've got to be kidding ... how about uniformity and cleanliness ? A completely painted engine shows no pride ? That's just silly ......

You've got to be kidding ... how about uniformity and cleanliness ? A completely painted engine shows no pride ? That's just silly ......

Is it?
An old, worn and clapped out engine would look exactly the same when painted all over. After the paint-dunk, one can't easily prove the engine has been apart anymore, or even at all.
That's the image I get when I see engines painted like someone poured a bucket of paint over it.

Nice example below, where I'm seeing telltale signs here that this engine has had a '$10 Spraycan-restoration' by the seller.
Clueless buyers who usually only look at paint, whether it are cars or engines, might fall for this and get taken badly;

2ylk8cn.jpg

For me cleanliness comes with tidyness and eye for detail; Prepping parts for paint right after they've been machined or worked on, then go on to another part as the engine build progresses.
I like to be able to see/confirm new head and valvecover gaskets if one claims an engine has been rebuilt. Not thick paint and drips on everything and other attempts of hiding a possible slappy build job.

I simply don't trust showpoodle engines.

And on to another question. Anyone used this paint? Is it good? Do you prime? View attachment 1715031266

in my experience the color isn't right. most probably won't notice so i guess its close enough.. and over the years i've had a bunch of cans that were bad right off the shelf.. its also real thin paint.. need lots of coats for a good result...

i like to paint them all assembled.. just looks right to me... nothing looks like a short cut to me:)

now this looks like short cuts were taken.. ugly with that bare alumn and all...

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02202.jpg

cleaned up and ready to paint the right way..:) that orange on the valve covers and intake are mopar performance street hemi orange.. way off. its way too pale to be correct. most don't notice though so its not a big deal i guess..

5-11-05002.jpg

5-11-05001.jpg

epoxy primer on...

5-11-05011.jpg

high solids urathane on..

5-11-05018.jpg

ready to go in...

5-17-05002.jpg

on its way back together...

DSC09924.jpg

here is how we did the motor that just went in to jamies dart...

cleaned it up...
DSC_0004.jpg

in epoxy prime..

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

in high solids urathane paint..
DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

in and almost ready to go...:)

DSC_0013_1.jpg

On the first engine you posted, you missed a few bolts on the intake, valvecovers and waterpump. You also forgot to douse the intake gasket and breather grommet with paint. ;)
Too bad about the thermostat housing though...

Sorry, too much detailing going on here, I'm trusting this engine... :D

intake bolts were stainless and stayed that way.. wp bolts were painted afterwards as needed, valve cover bolts were chrome or stainless and stayed that way.. don't like the grommets or battery cable painted so i chose not to. can only do so much when taking up space in a friends garage.. some things had to wait till i got home.. :)

Is it?
An old, worn and clapped out engine would look exactly the same when painted all over. After the paint-dunk, one can't easily prove the engine has been apart anymore, or even at all.
That's the image I get when I see engines painted like someone poured a bucket of paint over it.

Nice example below, where I'm seeing telltale signs here that this engine has had a '$10 Spraycan-restoration' by the seller.
Clueless buyers who usually only look at paint, whether it are cars or engines, might fall for this and get taken badly;

View attachment 1715031645
Now, I will agree this engine looks like ****. I would probably walk away from this one if it were up for sale. You can Def tell it was a quick cover up. BUT, there is an obvious difference vs this and someone who took the time to do it right. I don't have big paint drips on mine ! I also have pictures from start to finish on all my builds.

-
Back