Do you start your 727 burnout in 1st or second?

-
I have a non low band apply RMV body, I pull to the front edge of the box & barely turn the tires to shed most of the water, put it in second heat the tires, shifting to high as I roll forward. I've only killed one sprag I many years & that was because I shelled the ring & pinion.
Wow! That's control. I just got my car running. Close to 400 hp 340. 2200 stall 4:10 gears 25 " tire I matted it the other day and she jumped up to about 6500, rolling em the whole way. I value y'alls input and dont wanna blow my trans. It's a stock unit with a b@m shift kit. Just trying to figure out if torching off the back tires is gonna kill my unit. I always had 4spd s in the day

I have a non low band apply RMV body, I pull to the front edge of the box & barely turn the tires to shed most of the water, put it in second heat the tires, shifting to high as I roll forward. I've only killed one sprag I many years & that was because I shelled the ring & pinion.
Damn.

Funny I see this today. My buddy called me last night and he lost everything but reverse in his low to mid 10 second small block mostly strip once in awhile street car. He had it built by my buddy. The builder is guessing he took out the sprag possibly from the tires spinning on the street and then hooking up. Hopefully we shall find out soon

Funny I see this today. My buddy called me last night and he lost everything but reverse in his low to mid 10 second small block mostly strip once in awhile street car. He had it built by my buddy. The builder is guessing he took out the sprag possibly from the tires spinning on the street and then hooking up. Hopefully we shall find out soon
I am going to guess the forward clutch pack (rear position) is smoked.
If it was a full manual valve body with no low band apply, and the sprag failed for some reason, second and third should still apply. If it was a stock style auto shifting valve body and the sprag failed for some reason, I would expect the low band to still apply first gear in manually selected low 1, as it should.
Please update when you find out. I just like puzzles.

If it was a full manual valve body with no low band apply, and the sprag failed for some reason, second and third should still apply. If it was a stock style auto shifting valve body and the sprag failed for some reason, I would expect the low band to still apply first gear in manually selected low 1, as it should.

My son is probably going to pull it for him in my shop. My buddy doesn’t want to do it on his gravel driveway. Then my other buddy could rebuild it here in my shop. My son told him 300.00 to pull and install and he seemed happy with that

34D5A19E-B2E4-4422-B20C-7CDBC3C87471.jpeg
CEA26FB1-81F6-470F-9B7B-A04435518327.jpeg
2052676A-B168-4DAD-BA4F-6836159E9808.jpeg

I posted this in the other 727 post but will here to. My buddy and I tore the transmission apart yesterday afternoon and the lip on the drum that holds the retainer in broke. Lots of pieces in the transmission so it’s getting a new drum, clutches, and band. He admitted to bearing on it pretty good on the street and it runs 10.20’s so sometimes that will bite you in the butt

Not enough clutch pack clearance? Why would it break like that. If I’m thinking correctly the only force on that land would be line pressure and beville spring pressure. Did the beville spring over center?

-
Back