Dodge Dart Seneca for sale NOT MINE

-
This is the first year of the Dart model,and one of Chryslers wildest and most.futuristic dashes ever
Interesting that this one has the cone shaped turn signal wand. Usually only the Phoenix model got that.
Beautiful cars but I like the Matador and Polaras even better because they have larger fins!
Sgt. Carter drove a.1960 Dart Phoenix 2 dr hardtop for a while in "Gomer Pyle,USMC". The show was sponsored by Chrysler and even though these cars were already "old" the series is full of forward Look Chrysler products as well as contemporary B bodies and a bodies. In one episode "Gomer minds his sergeants car" the Dart is destroyed by a wrecking ball and Carter gets a new Coronet from the construction company.. the car would back again in later episodes despite this fact.
Gomer buys a 1958 Dodge convertible from Sgt Carter in another episode too.
Too bad Andy Griffith was sponsored by Ford instead of Chrysler like Gomer Pyle and Leave it to Beaver were..although in the first season of Andy you'd see a DeSoto

gomer13.9951.jpg

gomer5.5814.jpg

MV5BODYyNTQ1ODQtMjY0NC00ZjRmLThhOTgtOTBkZTRlNjIyMDM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjIyMzMxMTk@._V1_.jpg

i239453.jpg

snapshot20090702055909.9605.jpg

Last edited:
I owned the 'Phoenix' version. This was the Chry flagship in Australia at the time.

They would have been a slug with a slant six because they were very heavy cars; they were sold here with a 318 Poly & cast iron TF.

They were close to 3900 lb. Look at the massive bumpers on them!

I drag raced mine. The Poly & cast iron TF were gone, replaced with a 440 & 727.

The weighing machine at the strip only went to 1000 lb, so each wheel was weighed. Chrys biased the engine/trans off centre to the right side by about 1.5", making the right side slightly heavier. Weighing the right front, it went off the scale!! The officials took a guess, 1100 lb.....

I owned the 'Phoenix' version. This was the Chry flagship in Australia at the time.
It seems impossible to find anyone to cast these glitter grip wheels anymore. These dodge wheels and the plymouth "aero wheels" nearly always have the translucent sections missing or crumbling away.

They would have been a slug with a slant six because they were very heavy cars; they were sold here with a 318 Poly & cast iron TF.
I had 2 1960 Plymouth Savoys (2dr sedans) with the slant 6's and automatics. They were not bad at all. I got around in them just fine. Kept up with modern traffic just fine,even on the freeway. I think the weight on those cars was only 3,400 or so. I would have kept them but they were rusty and I eventually found a Fury 2dr hardtop with the 318. I have no problem with a Forward Look with a slant in it though. I even had a 57 Plymouth with the flat six once.

They were close to 3900 lb. Look at the massive bumpers on them!

I drag raced mine. The Poly & cast iron TF were gone, replaced with a 440 & 727.

The weighing machine at the strip only went to 1000 lb, so each wheel was weighed. Chrys biased the engine/trans off centre to the right side by about 1.5", making the right side slightly heavier. Weighing the right front, it went off the scale!! The officials took a guess, 1100 lb.....
The slant six powered 1960 Dart 4drs curb weight was 3,630,the 60 Savoy was 3,540 They honesty were not bad at all as daily drivers. All of mine had the push button automatics. The flat six in.the 57's with a 2 speed powerflite was a slug. That being said I prefer the 318 cars. 1957 Plymouths with the 301 v8 are great daily drivers too. Plenty of power for getting around town,and 3 speed torqueflite is great.

The 1960 Phoenix is one of my favorite Chrysler designs, along with the turbine car, the 1967 Plymouth B body, and the '71-'72 Plymouth B body.
I like the Phoenix too,but wish the fins were larger like the Polara and Matators. The fins are the biggest disappointment on the Dart series and I have no idea why they were so conservative with the fins on the Dart when all the other Chrysler products were getting wilder and larger fins.
When you look at the dart from certain angles you can barely tell it has fins. (See the black and white photo below from Leave it to Beaver that illustrates my point). The 1963-64 turbine cars are ok,but look like a Ford design,which makes sense since Elwood Engle was responsible. I hate the thick ford style c pillars on the car. Ford for the most part wasnt good at futurism. Those thick C pillars were part of the stodgy "formal look" ford was so fond of.
Chrysler had experimental turbines in Forward Look era cars,Virgil Exner had one with giant blade type fins nearly as high the roof. To me the turbine engine melded perfectly with the Forward Look aesthetic. The engine of the future for the car of the future. Chrysler should have put the turbine in the 1956 Dart concept car. The 57-61 cars look so much more attractive and sleeker than what came after. When the fins came off it was never the same again. That was the closest we ever got to Jetsons cars.
The last photos are of the very first Dart. The 1956 Dart concept car! This is what the turbine car should have looked like in my opinion

i476169.jpg

d7a045eb3e8f199d2adb01d01d0ad190.jpg

f48dd7eb40364b785d52e4554833298d.jpg

1957_Ghia_Chrysler_Dart_Concept_1.jpg

15-56CD02.jpg

Last edited:
Here's rhe polara for contrast. These are just much nicer looking than the Dart series (and lI ove the 60 Darts too) but the fins are just far too small on the Darts. Everytime i look at the rear I am disappointed. Forward Look cars always had stunning fins. 57's and 58's are all fantastic. 1960 DeSotos and Chryslers have beautiful sweeping fins that start at the front of the doors and rake back rising skyward. Cars were never the same when fins and wrap around windshields disappeared. These were the cars of tomorrow,.

1769790_31.jpg

8e3d249a32a9d331a183c5fb1953375e1 (1).jpg

1960-Dodge-Matador-rear-left-three-quarter.jpg

Dodge3+-+1+%281%29.jpg

1960-dodge-matador-full-sized-one-year-only-mopar-true-v0-zkz613tl32691.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back