Does anybody know what this is and why it started smoking???

-
no joke...radio noise suppressor....condenser is under the distributor cap and only if you still have points ignition system....If you are running a pertronix or electronic ignition system there is no condenser under the cap....

What does it ground too?

the other end doesn't connect anywhere....just usually has a bolt hole or similar that mounts to the motor block near the coil location or on the coil bracket

We called them condensers. Looks like you are running a Pertronix or some other electronic conversion and if that is true you can safely sh*t can it. They extended the life of points by bypassing RF energy to ground and reducing the amount of arcing that occurred when the points opened and closed. They also provided job security for tune up shops by shorting out and killing your ignition at the most inopportune times...
That's a different condenser. The one in his picture is for EMI/RFI suppression, like bbrroowwnn said. With points ignition, the wire goes to the - side of the coil, and the case is grounded (usually bolted onto the coil bracket). With elecronic ignition, you probably won't need it, but if you do have buzzing in the stereo/radio, hook the wire to the + side of the coil instead.

the supressor grounds to the coil bracket which should ground to the intake or other ground. This device will take out the electrical noise that comes through your radio. Looking at you motor I wouldn't think radio enjoyment is going to a priority on your ride.
Andy

Paint on a ballast resistor will definitely smoke as they get pretty hot. That's why they are ceramic.

The tab on the suppressor connects to ground..... if it is a suppressor. This actually looks like an ingnition condensor from inside a distributor. Was this in the car when you got it or what? It might have been jury rigged to be used as a suppressor. Is that a splice on the end of the wires from the coil and suppressor/condensor or a 2 pronged connector? And are there makring on the coil terminals for + and -? If so, to which is this suppressor/condensor connected?

And an answer to the question on what type of ignition system you are using is needed if you want sure answers; the advice you are getting so far is all over the map because no one knows. Stock points? Stock electronic? Pertronix? Plus year and model of car, please.

About "condensers," which is what they were called up until? the late 40's? then became "capacitors" or "caps."

Your cars have several.

1......One on or inside the alternator, for RF noise supression

2.....One on the back of the instrument cluster again for RF mostly because of the original instrument limiter which cycled on / off like a flasher

3.......There is almost always one or more on the POWER lead immediately entering the radio case, for RF. These are usually inside the radio, so you cannot normally notice them.

4.......There is one on the coil, from the POSITIVE coil terminal to ground. This is also for RF

5........On the breaker points systems, there is one either inside or mounted on the outside of the distributor. This serves a different purpose. This one is connected to the points, the NEGATIVE side of the coil

Many guys say it "protects the points from burning." That is only PART of the reason. The REAL reason it's there is to help the coil produce the spark. If you have ever looked at an ignition scope firing pattern, the coil and condenser is what produces the "squiggly line" known as "ringing." This is a form of oscillation.

This drawing depicts a spark event. The oscillations between the two dotted lines are the coil and condenser trading energy. When the points FIRST open, at that split instant, the condenser "acts" as a dead short, because it is discharged. Current is flowing through the coil via the points. When the points open, the DC current stops, and the coil no longer has flow through the points to ground

The magnetic field around the coil's core collapses, which in essence 'generates' the spark in the secondary. As this collapses, it charges up the condenser, causing 1/2 of one of the waves you see there. Just like your bike coasting down, and then up, a hill, it's a trade-off

As the coil magnetic field peters out, the condenser reaches a "peak" of it's charge. This is the top of one of those waves. Then, the CONDENSER discharges via CURRENT back through the coil. Once again, a magnetic field increases in the coil, and this time the coil is "charged" ---with magnetism. Once again, things reach a peak, with the coil magnetized, and the condenser discharged. This would be the OTHER peak of one of these waves, IE if the first event was a positive peak, this would be a negative peak.

This process would repeat forever except for one thing.......everything has losses. Friction, heat, resistance in the wires, otherwise we would have perpetual motion.

The "tail end" of the ringing is the final gasps of the coil / cap exchanging energy.

All this time, the points are OPEN.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OxA64QjYFiQ/ThZqh85Fk2I/AAAAAAAAAOo/kF0JQFA2_kY/s1600/fuel.bmp

You can find those noise caps placed about anywhere. I took a voltage regulator and wiring off a mid 70s Satellite in a parts yard that had one mounted with the regulator at firewall. Was no real need to cut it out of that harness plug so it's still there today.

In laymans terms, they are ALL condensors and all perform the same function.
(by soaking up extra electricity) :) weather it be for radio(RF) noise, or points ignitions.
I noticed the coil wire laying on the intake also, and that would definatly burn up the ballast resistor.

Somehow, when Del explains things, I always get this "a ha" reaction!! That's also when I usually feel the least intelligent!!! :)

Somehow, when Del explains things, I always get this "a ha" reaction!! That's also when I usually feel the least intelligent!!! :)

LMAO, yeah, when he starts talkin' electrical and I try and follow along, my brain turns to mush. :D

Some people are just wired differently, HA!

It's your ballast resistor. Your local parts house should have them in stock. They are cheap to get. If you have an Oreileys near by they have one for like 5 or 6 bucks with lifetime warranty.

In laymans terms, they are ALL condensors and all perform the same function.
(by soaking up extra electricity) :) weather it be for radio(RF) noise, or points ignitions.
I noticed the coil wire laying on the intake also, and that would definatly burn up the ballast resistor.

X2 that can certainly kill a ballast resister.

-
Back