Does anybody know what this is and why it started smoking???

-
2 prong ballast resistor. They can start smoking for as stupid a reason as I did. Replace it and if the new one starts smoking you have a bad coil...

Didn't even have the coil hooked up just put the motor back in checked the ignition to make sure it had power and all of a sudden smoke! So I'm assuming because the coil wasn't in place it over heated?

You let the magic smoke out of the ballast resistor...Its that same magic smoke that make the car start and keep running

12+ in, 5 out. Any more fried the condenser in the day. If it smokes, it is being too much of a resistor.

It limits current in the coil. In the points days, leaving the key in "on" with the engine not running would cause problems for your battery. What year, engine and distributor type?

Didn't even have the coil hooked up just put the motor back in checked the ignition to make sure it had power and all of a sudden smoke! So I'm assuming because the coil wasn't in place it over heated?

Sounds like the wire to the coil was touching metal and shorted.

That'll do it. When you get a replacement buy 2 and always keep one in the glovebox for just in case...

Cars coming along anyways for my first complete rebuild

Still have to figure out throttle linkage and kickdown

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 325
We called them condensers. Looks like you are running a Pertronix or some other electronic conversion and if that is true you can safely sh*t can it. They extended the life of points by bypassing RF energy to ground and reducing the amount of arcing that occurred when the points opened and closed. They also provided job security for tune up shops by shorting out and killing your ignition at the most inopportune times...

Is that a joke?

no joke...radio noise suppressor....condenser is under the distributor cap and only if you still have points ignition system....If you are running a pertronix or electronic ignition system there is no condenser under the cap....

-
Back