Does anyone make a good coil anymore??

-

DusterKrazy

Reaction score
I was wanting to know if anyone one made a decent coil anymore. These Chinese made Accel's and MSD's don't hold up.

Points? OEM electronic ignition? Aftermarket ignition?

Slant six? 350 Chebby? Kohler 12hp?

Running a ballast resistor?

Mallory Promaster coils work well with points, they were designed when that was all we had.

If you are running a CDI, you need the right coil.

Tell us more about your setup.

B.

Just go to Napa and get there best coil, I'm running one with the electronic conversion kit with a chrome box, can't tell the diff in performance from the MSD blaster II i removed. BTW make sure your giving the coil 7 to 9v while running.

'65 Chrysler Newport. Mild 400. Eddy intake and modded 600 Holley, Hughes cam+matching valve springs on 452 casting heads. High volume oil pump, double roller timing chain. Mopar electronic ignition with ballast. Nothing fancy...

I run the Blaster 2, seems to be fine. You do have to swap out the ballast resistor to a lower ohm rating than the stock one. You should have 9V to the coil in the run position with stock, I think with the Blaster with the proper ballast it might be a little more.

The OEM electronic ignition works well with a standard type coil and a ballast resistor in the circuit.

You could use a Mallory Promaster 29440, but it is overkill - and a big clunky box.

Since you have had bad luck with Accel, and MSD I would recommend either a Bosch part or perhaps Standard Motor.

The Bosch coil to use is #0221122010 It was used on a bunch of V8's with electronic ignition and the same ballast resistor you mopar uses.

The Standard Motor part is a UF9 It also uses the standard mopar ballast resistor.

B.

I have an MSD in my '41 Dodge pickup that's been going strong for 20 years (old USA piece). The new Chinese made MSD's carry a whopping 90 day warranty. Bad luck with the current ones. Accel coils are the same way. I had one on my Duster for ten years. Last one did not hold up very long at all..

I will probably get a good one from NAPA and put it on my Chrysler. Thanks!

DusterKrazy,
I am also driving a 65 Newport BB (until I finish my Dart). I use the standard factory oil-filled coil with a Crane Cams XR700 ignition and ballast resistor. I always suspected after-market coils are mostly hype. They claim higher voltage, but the voltage is set by what it takes to arc across the spark gap, so I miss the "science". I do have some E-core types I may try someday, one a Chinese PS-91 knock-off and the other a factory one from a Magnum engine (mounts at front of engine). I hear a lot of failures w/ MSD parts, such as their very expensive LS-2 coil packs. Accel's bright yellow would look nicer in my Dart, but I hear they aren't much better on reliability.

DusterKrazy,
I am also driving a 65 Newport BB (until I finish my Dart). I use the standard factory oil-filled coil with a Crane Cams XR700 ignition and ballast resistor. I always suspected after-market coils are mostly hype. They claim higher voltage, but the voltage is set by what it takes to arc across the spark gap, so I miss the "science". I do have some E-core types I may try someday, one a Chinese PS-91 knock-off and the other a factory one from a Magnum engine (mounts at front of engine). I hear a lot of failures w/ MSD parts, such as their very expensive LS-2 coil packs. Accel's bright yellow would look nicer in my Dart, but I hear they aren't much better on reliability.

I hear ya man..

If you can luck up and find an older Accel that is made in the USA, those lasted a really long time. This China stuff ain't worth slinging down into the woods. Which Newport do you have, 2dr or 4dr? or wagon?
Mine's a coupe that I drive every day.

Update: O'Reilly's offers a coil for under $30 that is lifetime warranty. Or you can get the NAPA one for $43 and I don't know if it has a warranty?? I hear good things about Echlin though.

Just go to Napa and get there best coil, I'm running one with the electronic conversion kit with a chrome box, can't tell the diff in performance from the MSD blaster II i removed. BTW make sure your giving the coil 7 to 9v while running.

X2!! I have more than one original mopar coil that still works just great after 40 yrs of service. Back when I was racing,I saw many GM cars with mopar coils. Even those yahoos know the mopar coil is extremely reliable.

If you do the GM HEI upgrade, their electronics is very reliable. Much as I hate to say it.

Very true Rob,very true. The HEI is a good ign system. I'm using it on my bb for the compatibility to megasquirt,and for it's ease of use.

Coils will die if not wired properly. I myself had a blaster II die from to much voltage. 12 volts when cranking, 8-9 volts in run position. constant 12 volts will overheat the coil and cause it to short.

-
Back