Does anyone understand this un-boxing thing?

-

crj1968

Reaction score
I'm into guitars and I'm cruizing youtube and come across some guy "un-boxing" a stratocaster. He never plugs it in nothing, just opens it. I think "that was weird." Then over to the right there are all thse other un-boxing videos you can watch. Huh?

A few days later I read on a news site that the highest paid You-Tuber is a lady who un-boxes disney toys. Over a billion views on these videos and she made like 5 million dollars on the advertising placements in her videos. Never even shows her face...just opening boxes.

I really don't get it. ???

Looks like I need to post some unboxing videos.

Looks like I need to post some unboxing videos.

LOL. I know ...now everyone is trying to cash in on it. Coming soon, my un boxing video of my MSD ignition. Be sure to tune in!

I'm into guitars and I'm cruizing youtube and come across some guy "un-boxing" a stratocaster. He never plugs it in nothing, just opens it. I think "that was weird." Then over to the right there are all thse other un-boxing videos you can watch. Huh?

A few days later I read on a news site that the highest paid You-Tuber is a lady who un-boxes disney toys. Over a billion views on these videos and she made like 5 million dollars on the advertising placements in her videos. Never even shows her face...just opening boxes.

I really don't get it. ???

Maybe it is what she is wearing or not wearing that had so many views. lol

I have always wondered about it as well. It is huge among electronics like video game consoles, phones, tablets...crap like that. I never understood it though.

I just found a little article that attempts to explain why people watch them. It claims that people largely want to see what the real product will look like instead of a fancy product image from the company. Still seems strange.

Some things are so damn hard to get out of their packages... maybe these are like "how to" videos?

Who knows, people are weird.

I could make a video of me not driving the barracuda. Naa... screw that

get a Life you tube watchers

like cold start vids or girls starting old cars #-o

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he7FSmyEU8A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he7FSmyEU8A[/ame]

my 4 year old watches those videos, people unpacking TMNT toys
I don't get it, but I prefer him watching that nonsense over other nonsense

Freud would say that the underlying reason people watch these videos is that they really want to watch people take their clothes off.......

When you got your converter, didn't you have to un-box it?

Open it.

Hahaha oh, ok now I get it!! NOT! Lol

How about I go make a video of me taking my new PTC torque converter out of the box? You know, "UnBoxing" ..it may go viral, I judt don't know!

The only time I watch an unboxing video is when I want to order something and the company is vague on what actually comes in the box with the item. Then I'll look for someone unboxing the same item.

Hahaha oh, ok now I get it!! NOT! Lol

How about I go make a video of me taking my new PTC torque converter out of the box? You know, "UnBoxing" ..it may go viral, I judt don't know!

:cheers: There you go, maybe there isn't one, lol.

I've found it informative at times with certain things.

If you are ordering something fragile, it could help keep you from potentially damaging it.

I saw one of a guy opening the same TIG welder that I ordered and it actually got me to call the place up and change my order, because I misunderstood what came with the unit. Saved me some time, there.

There is definitely a place for it, but not to the levels that most people are going with it.

Honestly, I think most of it started with reviewing vids and now people do it because they're excited about what they spent their paycheck on, at that moment.

-
Back