Does the rear end need to be broken in?

-

Reaction score
These gears I have are used, but they have new axles from Dr. Diff.
Would this need to be broke in? What type oil should I buy?

Also there is a bolt on the axle itself, and one on the pumpkin. Which do you use to fill from? Dumb I know....

Thanks!

Fill from the pumpkin till it starts dripping out

Do u have a sure grip if so which one clutch or cone
if u have a clutch type sure grip u would need friction additives if not then you fine to just use regular 80-90 or something similar and I also used synthetic type gear oil

What rear are you running? If the gears are used then you should be good to go, new gears require a heat cycle for breakin. If you are running the clutch type suregrip add friction modifier.

correct. but, i have been told from a long time mopar man, that it is ok to use some anyway, as it helps and chatter noise from gears

Like was said... Used gears should be ok, new ones do need to be broken in. I've never heard of not running the additive in the cone-type suregrip. Is that in a manual somewhere?

I just run the royal purple. It has the additive already, and no stinky. I've run it with clutch and cone type to good effect. More money though.

With a clutch type its not a terrible idea to run some figure eights in a parking lot (at low speed, duh) to get the stuff circulated better.

Steve

The additive will help with chatter, it helps the gear oil lubricating properties.

Why not just call Dr.Diff and ask them your questions?
I heard they had good customer support.

Sometimes the most ovbious answers and the hardest ones to find!
Good point, Dartnut... Didn't even think of that! :dontknow:

OK. Just for future reference for anyone curious, or anyone else down the road... I did talk with Dr. Differential.
He just just to use "Conventional Gear Oil". I guess whatever works? He did say to stay away from Lucas though. I guess it bubbles to much. He also said to use the Sure Grip additive in BOTH cone, and clutch type! He said... if it states, "Posi, or Sure grip" the additive will work.
Something else that was mentioned that was even if the the Gear Oil states that it has the additive already in the gear oil, add some more, because what they add isn't enough.

I know nothing obviously, I'm just passing on what I was told.

Thanks Everyone!

-
Back