Don't know what motor to swap in.

-

dmopar74

Reaction score
73 duster slant six. I can't decide which way to go for a motor swap. I have a 318 block I could 390 stroke, find a 360 which seems to run 600-1000 for a stock engine with questionable past, or I can buy 440 motorhome engines usually with trans and low miles for $500 all day long. Anything I buy I will be modding just for fun as time allows, and any way I go I will be needing an engine, trans, radiator, and rear end. I will require power steering and a/c and this is just my weekend driver and hopefully a drag and drive car for fun later in life. Everything in me screams big block, but wondering if it's not a practical decision?

long time ago in a land faraway...well, I had bought a Dart that had a stock 68 440 installed, 727 with 340 convertor, 3.23 SG 8-3/4. engine had 1-5/8" Hedman (?) headers. ran good, lots of torque. took out 440/727 installed 68 340/4-speed with day 2 pieces (LD-340,3310,1-3/4 headers,electronic ignition,484/284 MP cam). small block combo was a lot more fun and easier to haul around corners. too much weight on the nose with BB. choice obviously is yours alone, but that is my experience. Good luck with your project, either way you go.

I would definitely swap in a small block. You can choose the flavor, your wallet is the only restriction. 65

Stroke it to a 416 I got five or six around here I can send you one on a pallet thru Fastenal ..short or long block....forged or cast

That Duster can go mid twelves with a modest 360/5.9 and a manual-trans, that can still get high 20s mpg with overdrive; ask me how.

If your gonna mod the engine then the only advantage to the Magnum, to some, is the roller lifter support. As for me, I have been waiting 20 years for my 230*/ .549 lift flat tappet to expire but so far it's been a big disappointment in that.

After 24 years, I come to realize that the 360 is actually more engine than I ever needed........ but it sure was fun.

Three four tee
Six

motor2.jpg

If your looking for new aftermarket parts, 440. Still a good selection somewhat reasonably priced. 318 cheap, but aftermarket parts are getting less and less. 360 about the same as 318. Magnum not much I know about. 340?, forget about it unless you got deep pockets.

Gen III hemi, all the rage today.

The gen 3 hemis are all over the place with everything you need to install them available. If I didn't have 340's on hand that would be my choice. Had a 72 challenger come to the shop with a stock 5.7 for suspension rebuild. We did not do the conversion but put a converter and gears in it. Blew the tires away on a rolling throttle kick. . It impressed me . I could not imaging a hell cat transplant.

102_0222.JPG

17610146-1972-dodge-challenger-r-t-thumb.jpg

16439783-1972-dodge-challenger-r-t-thumb.jpg

It's a Mopar. None of it modestly priced compared to chebbies. Would be nice to buy a Blueprint 426 hemi, wouldn't it? Magnum 360 would be my choice.

What you need to do is go take a Dodge ram for a ride with a 360 magnum. Then go take the same year dodge ram with a 5.7 Hemi for a ride. Then tell me which is the best bang for the buck.

What you need to do is go take a Dodge ram for a ride with a 360 magnum. Then go take the same year dodge ram with a 5.7 Hemi for a ride. Then tell me which is the best bang for the buck.
The hemi is a more expensive swap. Or it was when I was researching. Maybe not now. Ya bang for the buck, I get it.

-
Back