Doug's headers and mini-starters

-

Uncle Bob

Shiny paint causes stress.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a different starter configuration to avoid this?

20240324_134318.jpg

I'd heard of people having problems with the top terminals on big blocks (this one has the + terminal cut short because of that), but I was not expecting this.

That starter can go back on a big block, I'd rather buy a new starter than knock a dent in my new headers. Within reason, of course - I'm not sure they're this precious => RobbMcPerformance - Mopar Starter, and there are no photos to convince me one of those would help with this anyway.

The problem is with the bottom connector between the two parts of the starter (solenoid and motor). The suggestions above all look to be the same as what I have.

I'm not sure a dent will give me enough clearance to not cause problems. Sure the header will go on, but how much clearance is enough to get away from the heat.

It looks like the problem would go away if I use a full-size starter, but I don't know that for sure.

Last edited:
Doug's site recommends a Mopar P5249644AC, but TBH that doesn't look any different from what I've got now, other than that bottom terminal is not insulated so if it does touch, you're welding.

1711367754729.png

Your starter looks different. I have a stock dakota mini starter with my TTI`s and it fit fine. Not sure if there is a difference on Dougs.

I have not tried it yet because I'm not that far along, but someone on here who's opinion I value says a starter from a 2005 Dodge pickup, 5.7 Hemi, straight drive fits nicely with headers. I'm putting Doug's D450 headers on my 65 Barracuda. There ain't room to cuss a cat in early A engine bays, so I plan to try that starter. If you buy one and it don't work, they should take it back if you don't skin it up.

If you buy one and it don't work, they should take it back if you don't skin it up
I hadn't thought of that, thanks for mentioning it. I had just about talked myself into denting the tube but will give a different starter a try first.

but someone on here who's opinion I value says a starter from a 2005 Dodge pickup, 5.7 Hemi, straight drive fits nicely with headers

That starter is completely different from mine. It has the solenoid on top instead of on the side.. That might do the trick.

1711376661734.png

But, are you sure it's going to work???? Look at the difference in the snout.

1711377512152.png

Last edited:
It's supposed to work in a small block bellhousing/727/904, so it should fit a big block the same way. The only mod you supposedly have to make is drilling out one mount hole on the starter. One of the mount bolts on it has a bolt that comes in from the rear on it's stock Gen 3 Hemi configuration. You just ream the threads out of that hole so you can use your stock bolts for your bell. I'll double check with my source, but I'm pretty sure that's all you need to do to make it zing.

I got this ACdelco from rock and it cleared my block by miles... i had to modify my dougs headers though.. i bought a old NOS set that i think were old NOS due to being made wrong.. they wouldnt' clear any starter by miles.. i'll see if i can find a pic

It's supposed to work in a small block bellhousing/727/904, so it should fit a big block the same way. The only mod you supposedly have to make is drilling out one mount hole on the starter. One of the mount bolts on it has a bolt that comes in from the rear on it's stock Gen 3 Hemi configuration. You just ream the threads out of that hole so you can use your stock bolts for your bell. I'll double check with my source, but I'm pretty sure that's all you need to do to make it zing.

I found this old thread that shows the difference in the Hemi starters. Auto won't work.

Starter

That's strange, since a starter off a 727 and a 833 bellhousing will interchange.
Yeah I thought the ATs were basically the same thing with different guts to add gears.

The thread I posted also found that it won't fit with a 904, but will with a 727. I've got a 4-speed so no idea if it will work or not.

If I can find one local I might pick it up and give it a go. Right now all I'm finding in stock are for autos.

I checked a while back at Auto Zone and NAPA locally, and they both said they can get me a reman'd one. Guess I'd better get it while the gettin's good...lol.

I checked a while back at Auto Zone and NAPA locally, and they both said they can get me a reman'd one. Guess I'd better get it while the gettin's good...lol.
From what I'm seeing, I'd be skeptical that they know whether it's for a 4-speed or not.

AFAICS neither NAPA, Advance, or O'Reilly's says one way or the other, but their photos all have the short stubby nose. AutoZone does show the difference, but not in stock and I hesitate to order one when I can just walk in and pick up a standard mini-starter that's a little bit different and just happens to fit. Or, I can just grab a piece of iron pipe and a BFH, fire up the torch, and show that header who the boss is.

ETA: I'm trying to avoid going to RockAuto for this because returning a part there if needed is a hassle I don't need. But they do list several for both auto and manual trans.

The trend toward everything being an auto will eventually choke off the supply of specific manual trans parts.

This is a DB Electrical SND0088. Says it fits 91-95 Ram 3.9, 5.2, 5.9 .

engine stand 11-9-16 004.JPG

engine stand 11-9-16 002.JPG

I just ordered a Hemi starter for a manual trans, will be here tomorrow. I will hang it on the stud to check the header fit. I have high hopes.

A friend mentioned that I'd be killing my warranty if I drill out the starter threads so if this works, I'm going to look hard at the bellhousing to see if it can be modified instead. The warranty on that expired in, oh, about 1972.

Hope it works out. As long as you've got room on the backside of the bellhousing for a bolt head, you could drill it out to the same size as the unthreaded hole in the starter and put the bolt in bassakwards from what it's always been. I may do that to my bellhousing on my Barracuda as well. I plan on driving the snot out of that car and if the starter was to crap out 1000 miles from home I could buy a replacement and bolt it on instead of worrying about drill the hole on the new starter out. Post some pics when you get it mocked up.

:thumbsup:

Bob....maybe the gentleman I tagged below can shed some light on using the newer starter.

@mopardude318 When one uses the 2005 5.7 Hemi straight drive starter on an LA or big block, which hole in the new starter needs to be drilled out because it's threaded? Top or bottom? Thanks in advance.

Bob....maybe the gentleman I tagged below can shed some light on using the newer starter.

@mopardude318 When one uses the 2005 5.7 Hemi straight drive starter on an LA or big block, which hole in the new starter needs to be drilled out because it's threaded? Top or bottom? Thanks in advance.
Well. I may have made a mistake in posting that a few years ago, stating it fits a v-8. That info I found I think was in the slant 6 forums. It successfully bolts onto a slant 6. I got all that info from SSDan, not realizing we are talking about a v-8…

IMG_6214.jpeg

IMG_6213.jpeg

IMG_6212.jpeg

-
Back