Doug's headers not fitting - frustration

-
I ran into header clearance issues with a different set of headers but found that loosening all the column bolts inside the car and then manipulating things under the hood (easier with two people). I gained around 3/8 of an inch.

To solve the problem he should have taken out the rag link and put in a universal joint. Not all problems have a quick fix.
Yeah because that would be so much easier than heating a tube and banging a dent in it.

Everybody keeps telling me to yank the slant and drop a nasty small block in it. Not with those header issues. Probably easier to use fender well headers?
Don't forget I had the k-frame and all out including the column. I won't say dents wouldn't be needed but a lot of this was a problem of my own making.

Bob, with as many alignment problems as you have encountered, is it possible the car is twisted out of shape because of no frame connectors, or maybe it was wrecked "hard" and then put back together? I'm just curious because of all I've read about you misadventures.

Bob, with as many alignment problems as you have encountered, is it possible the car is twisted out of shape because of no frame connectors, or maybe it was wrecked "hard" and then put back together? I'm just curious because of all I've read about you misadventures.
No. The car is not and never has been bent. The only thing I can figure is I have a tendency to tighten things up too soon (and then have to take them back apart) and tolerance stacking bit me.

Hell before it was over I found that with the column bolted in place the lower dash cover wouldn't fit. I had to loosen it all up one more time from the firewall back to get it straightened up.

I never should have taken the k-frame out. I don't have a lift and am getting old-ish so things were just flat out working against me.

I know about the "old" thing, at 72 I can't do near what I could do in my 30's and 40's. As I said, I was curious as to what was causing all of the alignment problems. Maybe once you get the car back together, you can find a shop with a frame machine to see if the car might be tweaked. Just an idea because I had to have my car aligned on a frame machine because it was run with higher HP than factory and it was 5/8" out of square left front to right rear.

Just an idea because I had to have my car aligned on a frame machine because it was run with higher HP than factory and it was 5/8" out of square left front to right rear.
Yes even though my car has no evidence of ever being bent in an accident, those years with a big block could have pulled it out of square. :thumbsup:

Love Jack Elam.. watched a movie recently on youtube called "Kansas city confidential" he was about 18 in it and was great.. also has a 18 year old Lee vanclef..
He was 32 when he made that. That's a goodun.

I just wanted you to know, I feel your pain hahaha ‘67 Barracuda, factory V8, motor has never been out. Going on vacation with my family this weekend, and I’ll get back to it next week. I’m going to read through this thread again, and if you have any tips not already mentioned, I’d appreciate them.

View attachment 1716256649

View attachment 1716256650

I got my steering column in this weekend with no problems. I thought for sure I was going to run into this situation.

My rig is a 68 Barracuda, magnum 360 block, Dougs headers, thicker motor mounts, Borgeson power steering and coupler.

My column tube seems to be about 2-3" shorter so it wasn't even close to touching the header. The Borgeson stuff is sleeker so it all fit in there pretty well but I was really worried about that column tube. Got lucky for once.

-
Back