Dougs headers or TTI step headers?

-
What size tube are they? 1 7/8 or the step headers. (don't forget that Doug's headers can be had at summit for cheap and throw in their current 15% deal you save even more.

I was considering buying a set of tti headers I might reconsider now, did you get this resolved?

there is something seriously wrong with that set up. weather the motor is in the wrong spot or the headers are not for his application. my tti headers went in without having to even slightly ding them.

You aren't dealing with torsion bars though. Granted most people it seems don't have much of an issue with the install outside the standard head aches.

I have to agree with the others that are wondering if the OP has the correct motor mounts.
To short of a mount would close the header/steering clearance and probably put the pipes in the wrong spot to clear the torsion bars.

For your sake i hope its a QC issue on their end and not something else.

This is the very reason I will be getting a set made for my car. Might cost some more $$ but they will fit. Not saying Doug's or TTI's don't fit but when you have as bad as luck as I do with these things.....

More FYI, I sent this to TTi and I hope it helps:

I talked with Michel Schumacker Yesterday to make sure my engine mounts are correct and it sounds like they are the correct ones and installed corectly. In the afternoon I went to look a 69 Dart with TTi's installed, same set up as mine but, Chris has manual steering. Chris is the top Mopar guy at http://www.mopacautosupply.com/index.html and helped me build up my engine.

Chris has the 1 3/4" headers and they fit realy nice. He had power steering at one time as well with no clearance issues. I can see why he scolded me and could not figure out why I was having such problems. Pictures attach. We "unprofessionally" think it might be an issue of tube size as my headers were 1 7/8". Chris also asked me why the 1 7/8" because I do not need the big tube. He said 1 3/4" is plenty for my application. So that might be the fix. Something for you to consider. If the 1 7/8" headers are fabricated on the same jig as the 1 3/4" headers that might be a factor why I had problems with clearance. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC00002.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,405
  • DSC00001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,381
  • DSC00011.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,340
  • DSC00015.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,372
  • DSC00016.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,343
I have these and I didn't have to put a mark in them to install. I would have returned them before murdering them though.
:cheers:
Monday I received a set of 1 3/4 test headers from TTi and I couldn't get home fast enough to test fit them. They installed very nice and having ample clearance where needed. The next morning I double checked all the installation measurements. I found that if I changed the clearance of the gap between the crankshaft centre line from 5 ½” to 5 3/8”, I gain some clearance between the header tubes and torsion bars. I got on the phone with Sam Davis at TTi to update him. We ended up scratching heads big time. The original 1 7/8” headers I murdered went onto TTi’s factory jig and with little issue (I’m not sure what TTi meant by that). Sam said they have sent out 80 pair of the 1 7/8” headers without issue.

No measurements on my car changed from the time I installed the now dead 1 7/8’ headers to the time I installed the 1 ¾”. Go figure. TTi is now fabricating my headers in 1 ¾” as per the original order. It’s going to take about 3-4 weeks to get them. In the mean time I’m using these test headers to get things installed and then will return them to TTi.

I found Sam Davis at TTi very helpful in working with me to get the job done right. Not many companies do that these days. We decided to call my car the car from hell….lol :thumrigh:

Attachments

• DSC00027.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,274
  • DSC00030.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,298
  • DSC00031.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,321
  • LH frame rail clearance pic 1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,306
  • DSC00024.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSC00021.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,257
  • DSC00020.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,293
  • DSC00019.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,280
  • DSC00018.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,317
  • DSC00017.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,319
You really should put an oil filter on b 4 you start it to hear them there new pipes!:p lol

You aren't dealing with torsion bars though. Granted most people it seems don't have much of an issue with the install outside the standard head aches.

I have to agree with the others that are wondering if the OP has the correct motor mounts.
To short of a mount would close the header/steering clearance and probably put the pipes in the wrong spot to clear the torsion bars.

For your sake i hope its a QC issue on their end and not something else.

my car had torsion bar suspension when i first put the tti headers on. gotta know what your talking about before stating as fact what i didn't have to work around.. :)

stock suspension with the tti headers.. didn't have to ding a thing..

DSC02553-1.jpg

134923727.jpg

134923714.jpg

wow brad426 you really f#@%ed those headers up. mine went right in my 360 duster. i think you either got the wrong headers or your motor is not mounted in the stock position.

Well my headers have been in a box in my shop for over 18months
So today before I read this post I went out in my shop to burn a Sunday .
I was able to install my transmission and thought well that went smooth and things were going well sooo I opened the bos read the directions and installed my TTI headers on my 73 Duster with a 360 engine new to duster
And they fit great I am VERY pleased with my new headers on my duster and everythingwent as directions Thank You TTI
RBEE

Ive installed 4 sets of TTI header and never had to massage any of them.

My TTIs did not fit at first. After I spent a week working on it every night getting the engine in the right location, egging out the k-frame slot on one side to slide it back some and shimming, they fit in with no dents needed. Mine are close to driver's side frame rail but I run Shumaker Torque Strap and they never hit not even once.

Sounds like they were the wrong headers. Glad to hear TTI is taking care of it.

Well the "correct" TTi's finaly arrived this week. I'm taking some members advice and wraping them in bubble wrap & tape to install. The coating gets damaged way too easy. :wack:

I'm going to line the frame & engine with rags as well. I installed a stud at the most aft & fwd holes to act as a guide for the flange and to hold the header gask. in place. You could use bolts with the heads cut off. Once the headers are in it's Rock'n Roll!

Attachments

• P4150024.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,059
  • P4150025.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,077
You got lucky after bashing the tube to worthlessness. I have a slight rub on my left side torsion bar but I also have solid mounts so I caould just shim the motor to get the best clearance. we'll find out soon how well they fit another A body when I swap the motor and headers into a 71 Demon from my 68 fish. Neither have power steering.

was helping a friend install his 408 indy stroker and tti 13/4 step headers in his 73 challenger and found out they had sent him a-body headers. good thing we looked at the p/n and double checked there web sight before damaging them when installing. one thing that caught my eye was the flange ports in the headers are round and the mopar aluminum heads are more rectangle.although the head ports are easily covered by the exhaust header round tubes just had to call tti and they assured us thats how they are made. something to do with them being the same as w2 heads

You got lucky after bashing the tube to worthlessness. I have a slight rub on my left side torsion bar but I also have solid mounts so I caould just shim the motor to get the best clearance. we'll find out soon how well they fit another A body when I swap the motor and headers into a 71 Demon from my 68 fish. Neither have power steering.

Please let us know how the swap goes. BTW I'm convinced TTi sent me E or B body on the first go around. It just does not add up and I feel good about bashing the lights out of the headers. TT's blunder set me back over a month....:wack:

Attachments

• P4170004.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,021
its been 2 weeks since we realized we were sent the wrong headers. appears to be another ????? weeks before we may get the correct one.

-
Back