Drag racing...where to start

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
Ok gang
As I am almost finished with my military career (14+ served) (6 ish to go) I think Id like to maybe do a little racing as I look at retirement. To get started in the sport what do you all suggest? Buying a car from someone is not an option, im very particular about ensuring things are just right (and safe) in my eyes before I do anything. Id like to run a Duster and it would be a race car only. No street time. What class? How do I research this? Thank you all FABO:glasses7:

By asking a mod to put this in the racers forum. Figure a budget,and what you can afford to do for maintenance planning. Find a racing class you like,start researching now. Will save you money in the long run.Good luck.

as said..Set a performance goal....figure out a budget....

I agree with using a Duster body...Try to find a 70-72 model...they are lighter...

As far as what class...that is depend on how much you want to spend...and how much maintenance you want to do on the car....

you can bracket race with a basically stock car...and move on from there.

a duster is a good choice, build it to run 12.5 , it's a fun bracket to learn

At NHRA.com, they have the basic's and classes listed. You'll have to do a bit of reading to do and understand the wide ranges available.

Get the car in as a complete condition as possible. Since your looking at a drag only car, things may be missing that have no effect on the car except weight loss. Purchasing someone else's project or light strip car is a good option. I know what you said above but there is an advantage to this.

First it will save you money, time and busted knuckles.
Second, you'll be going over the car with a fine tooth comb before it hits the track. Be it a dead stock car or mildly modified. You'll need to do the same work either way. So getting a hot rod/race car should NOT be out of the picture.

No matter what engine is in the car, go directly to the strip and start racing it as is. (After you go through the car and right the wrongs of course.)

The rule Book is available on line or in paper back. Read between the lines of what is written. There's wiggle room everywhere! The MoPar engines and chassis book are excellent sources for racing. You should grab these books.

Once you start running down the track, you'll start making mods to the car to increase your speed and lower your times one step at a time. Enjoy the ride & journey.

In all racing theres an easy equasion Speed + Dollars = ET the faster the ET the more dollars it cost and the less fun it is . I bought a tube chassis super comp Mopar a few years ago and got my NHRA comp license , it was by far the coolest racecar i have ever owned . after two seasons of racing and spending 2 to 300.00 dollars to go out for a day of racing i decided my awsome car was no so awsome , trust me is cool as hell to run in the 8 s , but not worth the fun factor you give up. Im building another 11 second a body with a 4 speed and get back a fun day at the races .

Here is my opinion. I literally grew up in racing. 2 days old sitting in the tower of the old Houston track. If you do not want to buy a car from someone that is already done and you want to build one look at it like this:

1. Build more car than you "think" you will ever run.
2. Even if you plan on foot braking a car for a while I would build a 4 link/strut car. You can get them to work very well foot braking and later down the road if you ever go to a trans. brake. It just takes some 4 link adjustments.
3. Start out slow and get to where you feel comfortable in the car and gradually grow your engine program so you do not jump so far that the change in speed scares you. Go look at my video of what kind of stuff can happen in a car you are getting used to in the thread I started yesterday.
4. Back to the first statement. If you build or buy a car and you go with the nicest car you can afford to begin with it will save you a lot of time, money and work later down the road. It takes a lot of all them to update a car to run faster as time goes on and its getting harder to find a good chassis shop/builder to do the work and it be right.

That should really be a good idea of a starting point. I can tell you it would be a whole lot cheaper for you to find a nice car already done that you can update or just clean up in the begining.

At NHRA.com, they have the basic's and classes listed. You'll have to do a bit of reading to do and understand the wide ranges available.

Get the car in as a complete condition as possible. Since your looking at a drag only car, things may be missing that have no effect on the car except weight loss. Purchasing someone else's project or light strip car is a good option. I know what you said above but there is an advantage to this.

First it will save you money, time and busted knuckles.
Second, you'll be going over the car with a fine tooth comb before it hits the track. Be it a dead stock car or mildly modified. You'll need to do the same work either way. So getting a hot rod/race car should NOT be out of the picture.

No matter what engine is in the car, go directly to the strip and start racing it as is. (After you go through the car and right the wrongs of course.)

The rule Book is available on line or in paper back. Read between the lines of what is written. There's wiggle room everywhere! The MoPar engines and chassis book are excellent sources for racing. You should grab these books.

Once you start running down the track, you'll start making mods to the car to increase your speed and lower your times one step at a time. Enjoy the ride & journey.
X2 there are a lot of good proven race cars in the national dragster for sale that are top notch and very cheap and a good seller will take you to the track and show you its ability and more than likely show you how to run it.cuz you can buy one for more than 1/2 the price of a new one and if anything is wrong with it the tech people will damn sure let you know..take for instance a top notch pro stocker now is prbly around 150,000 just for a car then I would say an allen Johnson motor will more then likely be over 100,000 and you still don't have it running and for that id figure another 150,000 and then you have to get her to the track and that's endless on what you would what and don't think you would want a pu and bumper trailer to do that..I wish I were in your shoes to make the choice..have fun im sure you will make the right choice no matter what.no one can do that but you.I hope this helps ya...and thankyou for your service my hats off to you SIR..=D>.....Artie

Thank you everyone, im taking notes and looking at the rule book. I appreciate the mods moving the post and im gonna check it every day as I gather funds and make a decision. Thank you all again very very much!

I also have a dumb question, do I need a title for a car? I see lots of viable options but no title

Not necessarily but it wouldn't hurt to have it. If you buy a car that has a Vin you might want to take that information to your local PD or Sheriff and have them run it to make sure it's not stolen.

On the "Build more car than...."

Same goes for the foundation of the engine. I'm not saying go for the stroker right away, but that in it self is not a bad idea. Even if it is a regular 318-340-360 stock stroke engine, that is fine, just use top notch parts. I would use forged slugs and hold the overbore if you can. Thicker walls are stronger walls that do not flex as much as one bored out a lot.

I also have a dumb question, do I need a title for a car? I see lots of viable options but no title

If it is strictly a race car that you trailer to the track then no. But like was said it really wouldn't hurt if you use a car that does have a title and you photo progress from the begining just for insurance sakes.

What's the ballpark budget?
Just curious.

Now days with times the way they are you can find a really solid bracket car cheaper than you can build it. I remember just last year there was a 70 ish dart swinger in baby blue that was a mid 11 second car and built very well for the 10 grand range IIRC.. I wouldnt rule it out.

Thank you for your service to this great country!

It's real easy, Buy this turnkey car. all the moneys been spent. top notch everything, aluminum 528 ci.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTOfoIUunCo"]5.90 run at irwindale - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5doMtkOoXlc"]Dons Dart Won & Done - YouTube[/ame]

My recommendations?
Do your research--you're already reading the rulebook, but that's only a guideline. Go to the track, check out varios websites, particularly those dealing with the kind of car you want to build (a Duster) and start getting opinions. Everyone's quick to voice their ideas, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Once you know what you want, at least consider buying a used car--they can be had for pennies on the dollar. What you don't like, you can delete or modify. Start off simple & gradually work up to the e.t. you want to run. Don't think you can jump into a car & instantly run 9 or 10 seconds--you'll only disappoint yourself.
It sounds like ultimately you want to run a moderately fast purpose-built car, so I'd consider perhaps a big-block powered car (less maintenience), normally aspirated (easier on parts), mini-tubbed ( less expensive to build) with an automatic trans (more consistent). Such a car, turn-key could be had for anywhere from about 8k on up depending on its mods, age & how complete it was.

My recommendations?
Do your research--you're already reading the rulebook, but that's only a guideline. Go to the track, check out varios websites, particularly those dealing with the kind of car you want to build (a Duster) and start getting opinions. Everyone's quick to voice their ideas, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Once you know what you want, at least consider buying a used car--they can be had for pennies on the dollar. What you don't like, you can delete or modify. Start off simple & gradually work up to the e.t. you want to run. Don't think you can jump into a car & instantly run 9 or 10 seconds--you'll only disappoint yourself.
It sounds like ultimately you want to run a moderately fast purpose-built car, so I'd consider perhaps a big-block powered car (less maintenience), normally aspirated (easier on parts), mini-tubbed ( less expensive to build) with an automatic trans (more consistent). Such a car, turn-key could be had for anywhere from about 8k on up depending on its mods, age & how complete it was.
X2 Very well said...........Artie.

-
Back