Driver for mileage

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Anyone else out there looking at good gas mileage cars for a daily driver. Never worried about it before but now i,m looking into getting something cheap to daily drive. Include what youve looked at what kind of mileage it gets and any opinions you have of cars youve checked out . All input apreciated. I am currently considering a caliber or maybe one of those neat looking little mazda hatchbacks.:read2:

My wifes 4 cylinder accord will easily get 32 on the highway and has caused us zero problems in 3 years.

I get around 27 in town and 31 on the hiway with my 89 Lebaron coupe. I have had it for about 3 1/2 years now with little to no problems with it. Thought about selling it a awhile back, but sure am glad I didn't.

We`re on our 3rd Toyota Corolla, approximately 150k on each of the first two. Change oil every 3k and put gas in `em. 35mpg, what can you say?

Had a 98 Intrepid with the 2.7 motor and on the highway it got an honest 32. Around town around 25 - not bad for a V6

Had a 98 Intrepid with the 2.7 motor and on the highway it got an honest 32. Around town around 25 - not bad for a V6

Didnt know the intrepids were that miserly. Have to check into the new ones . Wife wants a new car.

Do you one better than that. My bro (the one with the 70 340 Swinger) has a Magnum with a 2.7. He swears he got 34mpg going to Galveston poking along @ 70

I decided to sell my 04 Ranger along with its payment and bought a 93 Dodge Ram V6 5spd for $1100. I lost a couple MPG "Ranger 23 HWY" to "Ram 20 HWY" but am saving on less Insurance cost and no car note!

The truck runs great and provides me what I need out of a vehicle!

I can't control the $4.00 a gallon for gas, however I can control what I drive to save money!

01151301160701040420080423de2d10587b3d51cb10003da4.jpg

I`m doing my 67 Barracuda convertible with a low performance 273, hoping for 20mpg highway???

It's do-able. Mine's a 273, 30 over with 10 to 1's and a mild Isky cam. 3 on the tree. 21 MPG highway.

I get 20 @55 with my hp273/833/3:23. I have a 833/od that I might try which should increase mileage by 3-5 I'm guessing.
I'm also running the original engine/carb/ignition so it's not too efficient.
Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. toolmanmike

88 Honda accord 32 combined. 5spd. not to bad for something paid off 18 years ago

The Ram is killing me with a whopping 12-13mpg. We are looking at picking up a Toyota Yaris for a daily driver. It's supposed to get approx. 32 city and 35 highway but I have friends that are getting around 40 on the highway. They run about $12.5K + T&L. If you want the power package, add about $1300-1400. We are also looking at the Chevy Aveo. I know they are not Mopars but desperate times call for desperate measures. We have ruled out diesels and hybrids at this point after looking at initial costs and ownership costs over a five year period. As for the Caliber mentioned, we rented one recently when we went to Spring Fling and the best we could get out of it on the highway was 26.5mpg.

You need something small and probably imported. Good used is hard to find-
everyone wants one. If I was to buy a new one I would get a hy-bred or at least a flex fuel vehicle (e-85 is $1/gal. cheaper) Just my.02 Mike

I have two 98 Imports (sorry). The 98 Civic gets a rock solid upper 30's all the time. You would have to try to get under 30. 150K on it and has been trouble free with the usual maintenence.

The other is a 98 Tacoma standard cab 4x4 4 cylinder. I have to try to get under 20. Regular is mid 20's. The smaller the tire the better the MPG. I am actually going smaller on the next set of tires. That is blasphemy for a 4x4 enthusiast, but I'll do it and drive the monster jeep when needed.

ROB

Try $5.00 a gallon here in Canada.

I just bought a '65 Dodge A100 with a slant 6, it should do pretty good.

Why new? How 'bout a Slant 6 with 833 OD?

You could probably get a Slant for free, the OD's are relatively cheap.

Would be much cooler than some crappy FWD econobox. 8)

It's do-able. Mine's a 273, 30 over with 10 to 1's and a mild Isky cam. 3 on the tree. 21 MPG highway.

just build it stock, my 67 barracuda convertible (273 2 bbl/auto) got 21-22 mpg with over 100K miles on powertrain.

I`m using the original 273 block at .030 over and approximately 9.5:1 cr. The cam is a stock 2 barrel grind. The carburetor is a 500cfm Eddie, ignition is a MP electronic, fan clutch, dual exhaust, and soon a 2.94 rear gear. I hope to increase the mpg a little over a stock build. Headers help maybe?

I just bought the wife a Saturn Astra. Ya, not a Mopar, but at least the dollars are kept somewhat within North America (car is actually built in Belgium). It's actually replacing a '98 Tercel. The Tercel is still mint, but it's too damn small. We've had the new car for about two weeks. I did a bunch of research on it before we bought and actually learned about it a few months ago watching an old Top Gear episode. :)

I swore to myself I'd never buy a Saturn, but this is no regular GM car. The finishing is nice, solidly built and pretty comfortable for a five door hatch. And the wife likes it, which is most important.

i gave my dad my 78 volare 225 3spd ( i have too many cars and his volare jus died) ..
he swears he's getting 25mpg or better....plus cheap insurance and registration,and since it was a gift, no sales tax... and its still mopar...:cheers:

fThe Caliber supposedly gets 29 hwy and 21 city. There is always the Avenger which is 30 hwy and 21 city.

I want to know how you guys with old Mopar daily drivers are getting these MPG results. I just don't see how they can be getting you those numbers.

Some times they just do. I had a 68 Satellite wagon, 9 passenger, luggage rack, two way tailgate, P/S, P/B, A/C. And with it's original 318/904 got 16+.

I weighed it after installing the 440+6 and 727 (still with all the power stuff) and at the track it weighed 4580!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a pig

-
Back