Driveshaft length ??

-

70-duster

Reaction score
So I take my 70 duster and drop the 7 1/4 rearend and put in a 8 1/4 out of a 74 dart. I go to put the driveshaft in, and remembered that the 8 1/4 is larger, so I know it won't fit. I drop the car back down put it in the back of the garage and start hunting for a driveshaft for a 904 trans and 8.25 rearend. I get a FABO guy that says he has a 904/8.25 driveshaft out of a 73 duster, so he sells it to me. I get the driveshaft and it is 3 inches longer than my original driveshaft (which is already 1.25 inches too long). Now he won't take the driveshaft back. My question is, that either this guy is jagging me, or I am missing something, which is it? I have the dart driveshaft, and it is even longer than the one this guy sold me, hence the longer wheel base. Just need some clarification on this. Any help would be great. :protest:

I would post it publiclly that he sold you the wrong part & will not make good on it. The other members should know who the stand up guys are & who aren't & I'm sure he will see the error of his ways & make good on it once people start responding. I think the 1 you need is 54.5 or 52.5 long is I remember right

I would post it publiclly that he sold you the wrong part & will not make good on it. The other members should know who the stand up guys are & who aren't & I'm sure he will see the error of his ways & make good on it once people start responding. I think the 1 you need is 54.5 or 52.5 long is I remember right
Nope, the driveshaft should be around 49" long, center to center of the u-joint. I think you both were a little negligent in not doing some measuring before the thing was shipped. Not knowing what was stated in the e-mails, we have no way of knowing who said what. What do the two driveshafts measure?

Here is an older vesion of drive shaft lengths that has been floating around the internet. I hope this helps. Just match up the components.

http://users.eastlink.ca/~imackinnon/driveshaft.pdf

Grassy

That list is worthless. It doesn't identify what car they fit and we all know that there are 108' and 111' wheel bases on A bodies. Those numbers represent far more cars than the A bodies.

take your original shaft and have a good service wack 1 1/4 out of it. i just had 4 inches taken out of mine, welded, spin balanced and u joints installed all for 65 bucks...

-
Back