Driving with parking brake engaged

-

pblawman

Reaction score
My wife drove my 1971 Duster home tonight on the freeway (about 25 miles). When we stopped at the exit I noticed a smell and asked her if she disengaged the parking brake. She hadn’t. Now I’m wondering how much damage may have been done and what I should look for to identify the damage. Should I take it in for an inspection, or just keep driving and watch (and listen) for something unusual?

I would plan on resurfacing or replacing rear drums and shoes, and go from there. There is zero chance you should drive that without inspection, as it may have seriously cooked the lining. Surprised you did not start a fire

I did that a few years ago to my bosses Lexus. Drove about 10 miles with the parking brake on.
I couldn't find the release (it was another foot pedal) ...so I drove anyway. :lol:
Stunk by the time I got back to work.

I have the same problem with my wife and my Darts. She can't pull on the handle hard enough to set the brake so when you drive away you can't even feel it.

This doesn't effect your front brakes at all so it isn't like you have no brakes, just be conservative. Me, I would drive it slowly (20 mph would do it) and try the brakes a few times - if you warped the drums you will feel it. That gives you more info for when you pull the drums and look at things. If they weren't on all that hard you might be able to replace the shoes and be good to go.

You're joking me right?.. you can't jack it up and take the five lug nuts off pull the tire and rim and pull the drum off and take a look?...

My first date (with now my wife) I drove to the neighboring town with the parking brake on in my '86 Carrol Shelby Daytona Turbo Z 5 speed. No harm done.... but I was upset with myself. ..... my, where does time go, that would have been almost 30 years ago...

I have the same problem with my wife and my Darts. She can't pull on the handle hard enough to set the brake so when you drive away you can't even feel it.

This doesn't effect your front brakes at all so it isn't like you have no brakes, just be conservative. Me, I would drive it slowly (20 mph would do it) and try the brakes a few times - if you warped the drums you will feel it. That gives you more info for when you pull the drums and look at things. If they weren't on all that hard you might be able to replace the shoes and be good to go.
Heck, you could go backwards and nail the brakes a few times, to get the " self-adjusting screw " to adjust...

My wife drove my 1971 Duster home tonight on the freeway (about 25 miles). When we stopped at the exit I noticed a smell and asked her if she disengaged the parking brake. She hadn’t. Now I’m wondering how much damage may have been done and what I should look for to identify the damage. Should I take it in for an inspection, or just keep driving and watch (and listen) for something unusual?
It's about the same as when I'm in the water box at the strip... lol

Driving it with the park brake on, builds heat. Depending on how hard the brake was applied, will effect "how much" heat was built over time. At minimum, I would expect to see the brake surfaces glazed- maybe even blued. Besides damage to the shoes, and warping drums, the heat build up can also cause issues with wheel cylinder seals and axle seals.

We all have done it!

I would assume at some point the drum brakes have generated enough gasses to slide some (brake fade)

I would do as 67Dart273 said in post #2

I am always amazed when I see people doing stationary burnouts without a linelock. the engine has to overpower the rear brakes, a lot of heat generated there too, but no one seems to give it a second thought

It’s good to periodically scan your wheels with a thermometer gun to see if one is dragging. My left rear was 120 degrees hotter. Needed new parking brake cable.

Most important isn't the lining if they are wore bad they will make noise, If the drums are warped you will fell it in the pedal.

What I would be concerned about is how hot did the wheel cylinders get . They will not give you any sign of failure if they go out all at once. Change the wheel cylinders and while your at it do the lining and a hardware kit for new springs. resurface or replace drums. This is only advise you have to decide how safe you feel driving it with confidence.

I did that a few years ago to my bosses Lexus. Drove about 10 miles with the parking brake on.
I couldn't find the release (it was another foot pedal) ...so I drove anyway. :lol:
Stunk by the time I got back to work.
Still got that job?

Did the wife apply it? If she applied it, it may not have been applied that hard and probably hasn't hurt a thing. All that stuff is pretty robust and can stand some abuse. I would jack it up, get the drums off and inspect everything. Shoot it with some brake cleaner, blow it off with some air so you can get a really good look. I bet it's just fine.

-
Back