Dual Snorkle repaint ?'s

-

MoParking

Reaction score
I took the original mopar dual snorkle off my 73 Dart Sport hood and want to put it on a different hood, I would like to refinish the scoop first. I want to paint it semi-flat or semi-gloss black (I'm not sure of original paint).

Any body guys have recommendations on sanding, painting the scoop, I think it is plastic?

I would sure appreciate it.

Wet sand with 400, prime if you cut through, sand with 600 wet, then paint with SEM Hot Rod Black or equivalent.
Dallas

I am a new member and have been researching Organosol black paint. It was used in several areas on many different 60s and 70s Mopars.

This is what I have learned from several sources:
Organosol Black was originally issued as a Lacquer, PPG DDL9355.
With the demise of lacquer it was reformulated in PPG Acrylic Urethane as DCC9355. These two formulas are different in composition as they are for very different types of paint, lacquer vs urethane.

There are many posts on several different bulletin boards that all deal with persons frustrations with obtaining and using. Also I see some vendors selling a quantity of one of these mixes at significant prices. I, being a typical car guy restoring and having to spend responsibly knew there is a truth somewhere. The new DCC formula works well if mixed according to the correct ratios. PPG advertises the ratio mixes for a standard gloss application. Since we are trying to apply a paint with a flattener or suede those basic mix ratios change away from the gloss ratios.

I recently applied some DCC9355 and kept getting way too much gloss. I was using a ratio of 2:1 (2 parts paint to 1 part of hardner, thinner your choice) This is where the difference from the above paragraph applies.

This same formula with a flattening agent added needs a different ratio of 4:1:1.

This made sense as the runs down the side of the can are the right satin/flat. The only difference between what is running down the side of the can and the gloss I was getting on the car parts (spoiler, scoop, hood tach) was the ratio of hardener.

The bottom line is that despite what I was reading I was able to get DCC9355 to work fine once I understood the hardner mix ratios.

So, I would feel comfortable getting a quart of Organosol Black (DCC9355-Hardner-thinner) then mixing according to the ratios for a FLAT outcome.

I hope my research helps someone else
ps: use a respirator, this stuff is poison no matter how small of a part you are paiting.

Bob C.

-
Back