Dukes of hazzard Push bar

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
anyone know what the measurements were on the dukes General lee push bar?

I would like to find out and slightly scale it down to put one that looks like the general lee on my 69 dart

Attachments

• gen_lee.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,060
Why not just build it to the width of the rails to avoid having to do anything "creative" in getting it securely mounted? Seriously doubt anyone is going to play around with a percentage calculator to make sure it is a scaled down version....

Is this a for looks thing or do you intend to do some actual pushing with it?
I would guess for the real deal you would want 1/4" plate for the verticals
and 2" pipe for the horizontals.
You could lighten it up on the verticals with 3/16" or 1/8" plate for a not
so functional bar. The horizontals choose your wall thickness the same
way. Exhaust tube for light duty.
If I was to go about making one I would make it out of cardboard and
those paper tubes upholstery fabric is rolled up on to get your patterns and scale you were after. Let me know if you can't find any paper tubes.
I believe we are going to see a orange dart with vector wheels posted up someday.

anyone know what the measurements were on the dukes General lee push bar? I would like to find out and slightly scale it down to put one that looks like the general lee on my 69 dart

Here are a couple results that I found by using the Google search engine.

Push Bar

Diameter of the bars: 2-3/8".

Center to center the bars are 8-1/2" apart.

The overall width of the push bar is 36-1/4".

The thickness of the upright pieces is 1/4" .

The depth of the uprights is 3".

The top of the lower bar lines up vertically with the center of the bumper.

Attachments

• push bar.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 527
are you sure you aren't ingesting anything illegal at those raves?

I am sure...... but I am not sure that the mass quantities of mountain dew might be rotting my brain out LOL

Why not just build it to the width of the rails to avoid having to do anything "creative" in getting it securely mounted? Seriously doubt anyone is going to play around with a percentage calculator to make sure it is a scaled down version....

I will run it on a proportion calculation first and then see how much difference it is compared to just going by the rail width.

Is this a for looks thing or do you intend to do some actual pushing with it?I would guess for the real deal you would want 1/4" plate for the verticalsand 2" pipe for the horizontals. You could lighten it up on the verticals with 3/16" or 1/8" plate for a notso functional bar. The horizontals choose your wall thickness the sameway. Exhaust tube for light duty. If I was to go about making one I would make it out of cardboard andthose paper tubes upholstery fabric is rolled up on to get your patterns and scale you were after. Let me know if you can't find any paper tubes. I believe we are going to see a orange dart with vector wheels posted up someday.

great idea on the mock up idea.

It is for looks only, I don't push other cars with mopars anymore because I cant stand the look of bent bumpers so I have an ATV with a padded bumper to push non running cars into the shop now. You read my mind with the vector wheels and that is exactly what I was thinking ....I am strongly considering making a General Lee 69 dart. Only reason is because I am a Dukes fan but I don't like chargers. I had a 68 charger before and I am a small person so I don't regret getting rid of the beach whale charger and replacing it with my dart which is such a smooth and comfy car to drive.

If I do a General Lee dart I would use the "01" on the doors and the Dixie horn but I am debating whether it would be appropriate to use the confederate flag. I am probably not the typical demographic someone would expect to be driving around in a dukes car. LOL

Here are a couple results that I found by using the Google search engine.Push BarDiameter of the bars: 2-3/8".Center to center the bars are 8-1/2" apart.The overall width of the push bar is 36-1/4".The thickness of the upright pieces is 1/4" .The depth of the uprights is 3".The top of the lower bar lines up vertically with the center of the bumper.

wow where did you find that. I googled it too before I made the thread but I didn't find anything even close to this. :supz:

I found a website in high school that had those measurements for the push bar and measurements for the decals as well. But i cant find the website anymore

Rani, Your as crazy as a ****-house rat!!!!!!!! BUT, you have a good IDEA, I'm just not THAT against a Charger to turn a DART into the General Lee! MAYBE put "00" on the doors, and paint it "North Blue" and put the AMERICAN flag on the roof, of the year the car, matching them, together the year the car is, and then put General Grant, in place of General Lee.. Maybe a "You Lost Get over it" mural on the truck edge?

:violent1::violent1::violent1:

OK MAYBE thats Sacrilegious? :D:D:D

Rani

The general has been over done

Might want someone to photoshop you a dart lee

The push bar maybe, never know when a deer will jump out in front of you it could be useful

You also have to consider which push bar style you want to go with. Early in production, the bars were narrower. In later years, when Warner Brothers was doing the Lee conversions on the cars themselves instead of farming out the work, the bars became wider.

Rani, Your as crazy as a ****-house rat!!!!!!!! BUT, you have a good IDEA, I'm just not THAT against a Charger to turn a DART into the General Lee! MAYBE put "00" on the doors, and paint it "North Blue" and put the AMERICAN flag on the roof, of the year the car, matching them, together the year the car is, and then put General Grant, in place of General Lee.. Maybe a "You Lost Get over it" mural on the truck edge?:violent1::violent1::violent1:OK MAYBE thats Sacrilegious? :D:D:D

be aware, the south never surrendered.... they just stopped for awhile to make more GRITS and CANNONBALLLS!!?????? LOL

Rani, Your as crazy as a ****-house rat!!!!!!!! BUT, you have a good IDEA, I'm just not THAT against a Charger to turn a DART into the General Lee! MAYBE put "00" on the doors, and paint it "North Blue" and put the AMERICAN flag on the roof, of the year the car, matching them, together the year the car is, and then put General Grant, in place of General Lee.. Maybe a "You Lost Get over it" mural on the truck edge?:violent1::violent1::violent1:OK MAYBE thats Sacrilegious? :D:D:D

HAHA!!!

yes that would be sacreligious The idea of building a general lee car is so that people can see it and say "she is a Georgia peach, aint she" :D

How can you build a Georgia peach without the requisite orange and all the rest of the apparatus making it a general Lee car :evil3:

In the movie it stuck in my brain when the Duke boys go back to Cooter's place to get the General Lee before it got impounded by the evil Roscoe and Bo looks at it in shock and Cooter says "she is a Georgia peach, ain't she"

BTW: I just love the newer style Georgia plates with the peach in the middle I would nominate that as one of the best looking plates in the whole country......and that coming from me is huge because I am so biased to Colorado on everything, usually.

here we go ....now this is sweet but missing the very important push bar.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 543
agree'd ----^

Loose those damned wheels would ya! LOL

Rani, yer funny, love the idea tho....... I'm doin an "Anti-Duke" car much to what I mentioned above in "North Blue" colors.....

I had a chance to buy a General Grant charger once, but blew it.

It was like 1985 or 86, I was driving a 66 Mustang Fastback, was cruising past the local Ford dealer, when I saw something that stopped me in my tracks.

Sitting there on the lot was a 68 Charger, Bright Red, 00 on the door, and a 13-star American flag on the roof, with the words "General Grant".

Well it was a Sunday so the dealership was closed, I went home, polished up my Mustang so I could trade it in, got up the next morning and drove straight to the Ford dealership, go there about 9:15 am. And some other guy was already signing the papers on the Charger. Should have gotten up early and been waiting at the door when they opened.

Anyway,
a quick bing search turned up a couple of General Grant pics, but not of that particular car.

Attachments

• 4747569126_1e535d2a73.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 383
  • l.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 747
-
Back