Dumb Comments

-

70DartSedan

Not Banned - just hiding
Reaction score
I saw a thread on DC.com asking what are the dumbest comments or things said to you or you've heard made about your car. It can be an Mopar you own not just an A-Body.

Example: I had my '69 Charger in the garage and it was F6 green when we bought it. A guy who was building our new shed told he 6 year-old son "Hey, look, isn't that the car from Ben Ten? The car that Kevin Eleven drives?" :ncool:

I actually watched the show and it is not at all close. That car is a mutt, it has exposed headlamps, and it has rallye stripes a la Chebby.:banghead: See pics

My reaction was just to stand there speachless :sad3:

When I had the 'Plymouth' license plate on my Scamp, a guy said to me "why do you have a 'Plymouth' plate on a Dodge?"
I said "it's not a Dodge, it's a Plymouth".
He 'corrected' me several times before I finally just gave up.

"Hey, What year is that Nova?" It's '74 Duster...

"Hey, Ford 9" and everything huh!?!" - The guy doing my safety inspection looking at my 8 3/4...

We drove my Brothers '70 Barracuda to Autozone a few years ago. The guy behind the counter asked, "Nice Cougar! What year is it?"

I was sitting on the hood of my Duster in the staging lanes ready to make a pass, and some guy came up to me and said, "Nice car, is it yours?" Like I would just sit on some random guy's car.

I had people call my '74 :

A Nova
A Chevelle
A Mustang
etc

Both now and when I was working on it, people would come into the shop, stare right at the Plymouth lettering on the Grille (and the assorted "Plymouth Duster" repair manuals and FSMs that were scattered across the hood) and say "Man that is a nice looking Mustang :wack:

Also had a guy try to get in my '74 Duster at the gas station during the summer, when I approached him he started nitpicking about my car. Telling me the grille wasn't a '74 Grille (it is a '74 Grille, only I blacked it out), then he told me my Tail Lights weren't correct, that '74 didn't have the Chrome Bezels on the outside of the tail panel, instead that they supposedly mounted flush from inside the trunk :violent1: This continued for a while and I left before I felt the urge to knock him out (although him trying to get in my car without permission would have been reason enough for me to swing, had i wanted to)

About my panther pink 70 cuda with a built 440. Is it a slant 6 ?

I've gotten 'Nice Beaumont' a few times for my 70 Dart.
Also had someone say 'What do you mean your Fargo came with a 383? Isn't that a Chevy engine?'
One guy told me his dad had a 64 Barracuda, just like mine.. (mine is a 67).

Living in Canada everybody calls my 66 Dart(American)a Valiant:banghead:.I,ve had to remind the announcer at the track,that it,s a Dart not a Valiant.After fresh paint it will have the letters D o d g e along the rear 1/4s.Hope it works?

Living in Canada everybody calls my 66 Dart(American)a Valiant:banghead:.I,ve had to remind the announcer at the track,that it,s a Dart not a Valiant.After fresh paint it will have the letters D o d g e along the rear 1/4s.Hope it works?

When they ask if it's a Dodge Valiant, tell em "nah...it's a Mustang"

I saw a thread on DC.com asking what are the dumbest comments or things said to you or you've heard made about your car. It can be an Mopar you own not just an A-Body.

Example: I had my '69 Charger in the garage and it was F6 green when we bought it. A guy who was building our new shed told he 6 year-old son "Hey, look, isn't that the car from Ben Ten? The car that Kevin Eleven drives?" :ncool:

I actually watched the show and it is not at all close. That car is a mutt, it has exposed headlamps, and it has rallye stripes a la Chebby.:banghead: See pics

My reaction was just to stand there speachless :sad3:

Actually I can see the mistake from a non-car guy. I have a t-shirt that has a picture of a "muscle car". It has key lines that can become generic and can look like many different muscle cars.

I was sitting on the hood of my Duster in the staging lanes ready to make a pass, and some guy came up to me and said, "Nice car, is it yours?" Like I would just sit on some random guy's car.
So like your part signature pic? And why are people so stupid with cars out there. They all know about Ford and Chevy but not MoPar.
Stewie_Retard.gif

As for myself....I have had a guy I work with who is an expert on virtually any subject (just ask him, he'll tell you), look under the hood of my Duster and start telling me all the advantages of the Hemi I have. It's a 318.

I had one guy insist I had an 'A' body rear axle on my 'B' body Polara because I had wide tires on the back. I couldn't convince him the back end was all stock except for the tires. If you want to really hear some dumb comments, try selling your car. I could post pretty darn many.

I had people call my '74 :

A Nova
A Chevelle
A Mustang
etc

Both now and when I was working on it, people would come into the shop, stare right at the Plymouth lettering on the Grille (and the assorted "Plymouth Duster" repair manuals and FSMs that were scattered across the hood) and say "Man that is a nice looking Mustang :wack:

Also had a guy try to get in my '74 Duster at the gas station during the summer, when I approached him he started nitpicking about my car. Telling me the grille wasn't a '74 Grille (it is a '74 Grille, only I blacked it out), then he told me my Tail Lights weren't correct, that '74 didn't have the Chrome Bezels on the outside of the tail panel, instead that they supposedly mounted flush from inside the trunk :violent1: This continued for a while and I left before I felt the urge to knock him out (although him trying to get in my car without permission would have been reason enough for me to swing, had i wanted to)
Here is a 74 Duster and a Chevelle.
1974DusterPassSide.jpg

malibu%201.jpg

Well this was more of an insult that a dumb comment, but in 1985, on my honeymoon, my new wife and I went to the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals, and at that time my Duster had a snorkle scoop on it and on the scoop I had "360 ci" painted on it cause I had gotten sick of people askin me if it was a "340" or a "318" they never asked if it was a "360" but anyway we were riding through the fair grounds when some A-hole (most likely a chebbie lover) yelled out loud "hey that 360 on your hood scoop is that how much you paid for that thing??" I will remember THAT insult for as long as I will live, and so will my wife, that was 26 years ago.....

Attachments

• dusterold paint.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 818
Is that the car left? Anyway that guy is a azz.
yep but it didn't look like it does now, I will post up a pick when i get home, It was Rally red with a starsky and hutch type of stripe, It was in great shape NOT a piece, the guy was a tool.

Had a chrome air cleaner on my Dart, would see some teenager come up look under the air cleaner see the 2 barrel and say, "oh its a 2 barrel, its just a 318, thought maybe it was a 340", its actually a 273.
Had my 51 Plymouth (has a 68 318) at a car show, three old car guys were looking at it, and I heard, "is it a Buick nailhead, no thats not right, it's not a small block chevy, ..." This went on for a few minutes, then I walked up and they asked what it had, I said a small block Chrysler, 318, "Oh, thats it, I see it now" The Chevy alternator threw alot of people off.
My favorite was about a Mustang parked at a car show next to me, a parents talking to their child,"We used to have one just like that, except it wasn't a convertible, it wasn't red and it wasn't a '68." I thought was it even a Mustang!

I had one guy insist I had an 'A' body rear axle on my 'B' body Polara because I had wide tires on the back. I couldn't convince him the back end was all stock except for the tires. If you want to really hear some dumb comments, try selling your car. I could post pretty darn many.

Boy, ain't that the truth. And it seems to be no coincidence that the dumber the questions/comments, the less likely that they actually have any money. Plus, they usually spend the most time as well, I've actually had to tell one guy to leave.

Are you the original owner? Oh yes, I bought it new when I was five.

That is funny!!

Always when I'm at the track, all the "experts" come out and give me their 2 cents on what I should do to improve the car. Like I don't have enough money and time invested in it. I especially like the comments coming from people whose cars are slower than mine. Stupidity, it's spreading.

That benten car looks more like a Mustang or a Chally.

-
Back