Dumping the exhaust behind the rear axle?

-

scott2683

Reaction score
I was crawling around under my duster the other night and I noticed whoever had the exhaust put on must have been a newbie. It hangs way too low and its been pieced together. I was going to take to a muffler shop and have them run new pipe and reuse my old mufflers since they look fairly new.

I'm not a huge fan of chrome tips coming out the back. It looks cool on a lot of cars, but I'm not sure its my style.

Do any of you guys have your exhaust dumped after the rear axle? I've got a mild 318 and its not overly loud. I just don't want a lot of drone. The old guy at the muffler shop looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested it.

Any suggestions?

Most elect to dump in front of the diff. I can't recall ever seeing it dump behind it.

I had mine dumped in front, but I didn't like it because if I was in a gravel area with other cars around it would stir up too much dust. I just went with a pipe back to under the bumper.

I have my exhaust dumped before the axle and the only complaint I have is the exhaust fumes can get obnoxious if sitting in traffic with it running.

Thanks for the advice guys. Would there be any benefit to dumping in front of the diff as opposed to behind it? Hiding the pipe behind the bumper is a good idea also ... I like that.

Why not have them terminate behind the tires like on the trans am, or at the bumper with turn downs instead of chrome tips.

Thats a good idea too, just run them behind the tires. That would probably be easy!

Hiding the pipe behind the bumper is a good idea also ... I like that.

I didn't hide it, lol, it's just terminates right at the bumper, instead of sticking out.

Dumping them before the axle may increase dust and noise in the car.

Exactly the reason I switched mine, it would stir up a dust bomb on dry days. Sound wasn't bad though.

i would go for it but sadly as said before it comes down to the exhaust fumes youll get when at lights etc and secondly back in New Zealand it's also been made ilegal for the every same reasons as if there is any sort of leak into the cabin fron=m the underside you end up breathing it in over a long trip.

Iv bent two exhaust jobs ending right after the rearend. One for a 66 Chevy II I did a 400 build for (straight drag car/pro street) a 76 c10 I did a 383 build for. Didnt have complaints about either, not much drone and not a lot of exhaust smell (I like it personally lol) I'll see if I can find some pics of them for you for reference

Can't find them :( can't even find any decent ones on google. For the Chevy II, imagine the way pipes would normally go over the rearend in a dual rear exit except cut maybe four inches after where they started to curve down after the axel, so pointing at the ground basically. The c10 was about the same except we turned them out a bit.

That's alright ... I appreciate you looking for them. I think it would work fine for what I need. I'm going to research it a little bit more.

Here is an image like badsport mentioned.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 885
Thanks for the advice guys. Would there be any benefit to dumping in front of the diff as opposed to behind it? Hiding the pipe behind the bumper is a good idea also ... I like that.

Mine dump before the axle, biggest reason is money, why pay for bending around the axle if ur gunna dump em anyway. I had a muffler shop do a custom job. I supplied the 3 inch flows and he made an H pipe and everything only charged like $125, my shop sends him a lot of work. Never any odor issues but on gravel/dirt it will kick up some dust. Surprisingly quiet tho facing down.

If you show up at a car show or cruise in a gravel lot or field get ready for a bunch of pissed off people when you idle through. I had a Duster that dumped in front of the axle and we went to a cruise one night and by the time I got it parked(4 speed, manual steering)I had totally dusted everybodies nice clean ride. Needless to say I wasn't real popular that night. The vibrations from the exhaust sometimes had a tendency to blow out my tail light bulbs.

I never thought about all of that! I definitely don't want to piss off other people or get their cars dusty

My first setup on my Duster had Thrush header mufflers bolted straight to the headers and ending right there. After about six months of this, the headaches from the noise and having the interior reek of exhaust made me a believer. I put on full pipes with the Duster bullet tips and Hush Thrush muffs and never regretted it.
I literally couldn't drive more than 20 miles or so without getting a headache.

$125 seems like a really fair price for that!

Ya, his shop is just him, and that's what he mostly does is custom exhaust. Plus he's friends with all the guys in my shop. I don't usually have a problem with dust. Around here all the car shows and cruise nights are usually held in big empty parking lots.

When I got my current car '71 swinger it had turn downs behind the wheel and if I had my two little ones in the back and my wife and I in the front for a little cruise they would rub and bang when hitting bumps etc, just a thought to keep in mind. I took it to the exhaust shop cause like you I didnt want pipes sticking out the rear and I was afraid of fumes getting in the car at idle especially with the youngins in there so i had them dump about middle ways between the axle and the bumper with turn downs. They're tucked up in pretty nice.

i would go for it but sadly as said before it comes down to the exhaust fumes youll get when at lights etc and secondly back in New Zealand it's also been made ilegal for the every same reasons as if there is any sort of leak into the cabin fron=m the underside you end up breathing it in over a long trip.

Illegal in many (most?) U.S. states too for that very reason. How'd you get a sticker with an exhaust that exited under the vehicle? CO poisoning is serious, why would you want to potentially expose yourself to it?

Here in N.H. trucks with open beds (no cap, etc.) can do it as long as the exhaust exits beyond the passenger compartment (ie-under the bed). Even though it's legal, some inspection stations will fail you for it anyway.

-
Back