Dumping the exhaust behind the rear axle?

-
Yea I was really lazy when I did my system. Just slapped it together so I could get on with my busy day of laying on the couch.

Maybe some cars just cant get over the axle due to design issues.....like having air ride or a huge diff or narrowed rear ends or 4 link or all of the above.

No I wasn't totally offended.....just had to much coffee this morning.:blob:

Now that looks innovative. Cool.:cheers:

My 57 Ford had them right under the bumper but you couldnt see them as they were beveled. super quiet inside as the pulses were directed to the rear, not the ground under your car so it can bounce up and be felt in the cab. Im going to run a single exhaust from my turbo 6 out the passenger side in front of the wheel NASCAR style. Dumping under the car, especially before the axle makes everything under there black with soot too.

One of my best friends had a 65 mustang in high school, the exhaust went over the axle and dumped behind the rear wheels.
That old 289 sounded great when wound out in gear.
Kinda like 6pacscamps put the pipes came down at about 45 degrees and you could only see the tips.

I have this same setup now exempt I used s-bends instead of 90s. Mine end at the bumper with round tips.

I'm having an issue of the leafs hitting the pipes

That's why I opted for the easy out the side. I wasn't to keen on the look but it grew on me. To get to the rear like I use to have would have been a pain in the ***.

I suppose the 68 Hurst Hemi Dart LO23 had all "lazy ***" people working on it. Yep just "junk" to
me too. Certainly "lazy ***" drivers. Sounds like a Moparts rant for sure. Sheez.:finga:

It still doesn't look good. And if you want to get technical I wasn't talking about factory jobs anyway. We were All talking about DIY exhaust. I don't think any of us here have factory exhaust. Except maybe die hard all original show car guys. Even then I don't see how the factory exhaust would last 40 years.

That's why I opted for the easy out the side. I wasn't to keen on the look but it grew on me. To get to the rear like I use to have would have been a pain in the ***.

It hits where the spring passes between the frame rai and the leaf. My car sits a little too low for this route

If your using tired factory springs it is tight. I'm running the 2800# MP spring

I don't know that they are tired. They work very well on and off the strip. I also run 3" pipe, not sure if that make s difference.

This year I'm going to cut the tank sides and modify the spare tire well and run the pipes straight down the framerails.

they sound soooo much better run out the back, you dont have to have chrome tips just have them come to back bumper and turn slightly down... mine are to the rear axle... im going to run them to the bumper...

6pkScamp;1970818506. Bought a box of 3" mandrel bent 90's and 45's. .[/QUOTE said:
Where did you get 'em and were they "reasonable?"

Where did you get 'em and were they "reasonable?"

I think it was called madrel bend solutions. Google mandrel bent exhaust pipe. That's how I found them. Eight 90s and four 45s 3" aluminized shipped to the door was $155. I look at as $15 a bend.

Sorry if I miss something I didn't bother to read through all 3 pages of responses.

Mandrel bends is great. That is were I source all my tubing my turbo kits. They will be your best priced option on exhaust tubing. The shipping cost can hurt but its still better than anywhere else.

Myself have a 71 dart that I dump just after the axle. I don't seem to have any pictures handy but as soon as the tailpipe come down after the axle then bends back toward the rear I cut it off and added some 45* dump tips.

I did this to hide the exhaust. I don't care for the look of the tips sticking out the rear. My car sits low enough that you cant see the dumps unless you get down on the ground to look for them.

With that said I have to find something else. By cutting off that 2ft to the bumper and adding the dumps it changed the frequency at idle. The drone can kill the ears. Cruising and driving are good but idle sitting still can be a bear. It may be the angle the sound waves are bouncing off the pavement.

What I have been thinking about doing is cutting off the dumps and adding a few bends to make it loop over the leaf spring and sit behind the rear tire. There seems to be plenty of room in the wheel well behind the tire on the darts. (I added a photo with a photo shopped circle where the exhaust may go.)

Not sure what I will end up with, and it may be a while till I get around to doing it.

Attachments

• exhaust dump.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 190
-
Back