Durability of Redline Dash Panel

-
Reaction score
So I ordered a Redline Gauge Works dash blank for the Duster, and it arrived today. I was somewhat disappointed when I picked it up and felt its thickness, or lack thereof. My question is that with its lack of reinforcement, will it actually be able to hold up to repeated drag strip launches, even in a slow (mid-12s) car? I would figure for $100, the plastic should at least be as thick as the retail packaging that anything comes in.

Or are my fears unfounded?

I have a redline gauge panel, and I'm not concerned about the thickness/ quality of it. I don't see how using it on a car that goes to the drag strip will have any impact on it.

Not what you want to hear...but you could reinforce it, I'd imagine. But I agree...it is very light weight...I got one two but decided I rather restor my original...

Good luck.

Aloha!

If only I could reproduce my own with good plastic or metal plastic being the more challenge...and help this mopar world a bit haha any pictures?

Not what you want to hear...but you could reinforce it, I'd imagine. But I agree...it is very light weight...I got one two but decided I rather restor my original...

Good luck.

Aloha!

Thanks a lot, I was planning on using some sort of reinforcement...if I didn't get the answers to reassure me.

Johnny Dart...I didn't ask them because whenever you ask any company anything, their product is the best. I asked here because I know some people on here have used them in the past. If its a problem, I'll remember not to post in the future.

71blueduster...launches at the track repeatedly can have a tendency to make the little crappy nuts on the back of autometer gauges come loose, or at the very least, pull on the plastic with the weight of the gauges. Launching hard causes more pull on very thin plastic. That is how it has an impact.

As for pictures...I'll get some when I start mocking it up to mount the gauges.

What the hell kind of answer is that ?
You asked a question, I thought I gave you a reasonable answer. You see that is how the site works................

I happen to know the owner of Redline Gauges. He is a very stand up guy, and would have no problem giving you a honest answer.So your analogy about any company saying there product is the best doesnt hold water. There gauges and products are being used all over the U.S. and some guy named Chip Foose uses them almost exclusively .

threefortyduster,

Could you add a 2nd "layer" of plexi or aluminum behind it?
Also, what about double-nutting/lock-nutting each gauge's mounts?

From what I hear you saying, you are concerned about the performance of the plastic in a stressed environment.

How about slipping a metal tube under the "dash pad" rim and another along the rib where the electrical bundle normally runs? Connect the tubes in place of the dash mount. Place a diagonal connecting the tubes. Hang the dash off this bracing so it is not part of the body structure.

-
Back