Duster differences 70-71

-
I think the 71 fenders have a dimple & a cut out in the inner structure in the front for hood pins & the 70's don't have it. I must of got a rt fender from a 71 when I was junk yarding years ago because thats how my Duster is & mine's a 70 with a 70 left fender.

Maybe the change happened in the mid run of 71 cars ? I definitely had a '71 purple duster that had a low compression engine. I bought it in '73 w/ very low miles so I know it was the original engine.

Yep, you got the hood pin revisions in the core support and that may have been for only hood pin cars in '71...

For 340 cars and maybe all models and options

AVS?? in 70 to Thermoquad carb and spread bore manifold.
'70s had dual point distributors, electronic in later '71
Horned air cleaner to just openings in airfilter can
340s were balanced and more internal clearance was added.
'71s had HD rear springs...6 on left, 6.5?? on right
shoulder safety belts added in '71
darker rallye rim centers in '71
same jacks, but '71 had indentions in the bumpers for the jack hook
some '71s had indentions where the radio antenna was attached.
Calif. '71s had some emission adders
gas vent tube in trunk....I think '70 didn't have a vented gas cap.
electric window washers...option or a foot pump on both years.
chrome wheel well and sill trim...option
I've heard the X and J head issue for years, but I'm still out on that. I ordered a '71, received it 6-12-1971 and it had Xs, so compression was still 10.25-10.5. Very late '71 did not have HP exhaust manifolds...they were 72 style...compression change???

There were varations in cars actually built in 1971, not '71 models built in '70. UAW striked Plymouth (Mopar) in Feb. 71. Cars were assy. to various configurations and shipped to other plants for completation.

What else?
Greg

How can you guys remember all that stuff? The below car is a congromination of all the years!!!!!!!!!!

(I'll just call it a tribute, purists will call it an abortion, but it's my mopar)

sweet.JPG

I think the grille in 70 had a emblem where in 71 the emblem was removed. Did I lose my user name? Way too close this is going to get confusing.

71 340 car was a one year only as far as it had both the shark tooth grille and the ralley dash,Also the 70 and 71 had different ralley dashes,70 had a thumbwheel radio and cigarette lighter on the dash,71 was a two knob radio and had the lighter in the ash tray.

Just a few things I would dispute from some of the above posts, all minor stuff.. I had a '71 back in '73 and have had a '70 since 1978, so I know a thing or two about a thing or two :yawinkle:

1. My '70 came with shoulder belts, although they are the two piece belts and the shoulder belt has mounts on the head-liner. I always hated the feel of them (too close to the neck) so they've been tucked into the head-liner for most of the 30 years I've owned the car.

2. My '70 has a gas tank vent tube, that runs along side the filler tube from the opening, and vents into the atmosphere just under the trunk floor.

3. My '70 came with an electric w/washer motor.

4. My '70 came with the lighter in the ash tray an another in the console. That may have been part of the "light group" that was an option.

5. Sharks tooth grills were available in '71 and '72 only.

Again, all minor differences, not trying to be a "know-it-all" by any means.

This is a REALLY good thread that tells the differences between Dusters, Darts and Demons... Lot's of great stuff here..

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14339

Kenny

So to clone a 70 into a 71 wouldn't take much I gather. Did all 71 340 cars have rallye clusters ?

If you look at the back on the 70 they had " Plymouth" on the deck lid. in 71 they had it on the trunk lid.:read2:

This is just a guess based on what was done with E bodies.......
But did the 71 hoods (and maybe late 70s) have "dimples" in the "frame" for a crumple zone?

70 Duster had standard front disk brakes and to lock the car you need the key. 71 72 Duster you could push the door lock button to lock the car. 70 had the smooth trunk lid where the 71 72 had the raised center line. 72 bumper jack has the small hook that fits in a slot in the bumpers. 70 71 has the large hook that goes under the bumper.

Why I'm asking - IF I track down a sharktooth grill eventually (or willing to pay the crazy price) I'd like to clone my 70 to a 71. Only concerned about the externals. I doubt anyone would notice the ridge missing on the trunk - and I'm not familiar with the taillight bezels mentioned (anybody got a photo ?) Other than that - seems very little on the body is different ?

my 71 has the no ridge in the trunk but it is an early build i imagine later production date cars had the ridge. i think the ridge on the trunk is there for strength b/c ive seen some lids w/o the ridge and the metal seperates from the internal trunk and leaves a hump.. but ne way yes really the only thing u wud have to change is the grille and cut out the dash to make room for the rally gauges AND the tailights are the same for 70-71

70 Duster had standard front disk brakes and to lock the car you need the key. 71 72 Duster you could push the door lock button to lock the car. 70 had the smooth trunk lid where the 71 72 had the raised center line. 72 bumper jack has the small hook that fits in a slot in the bumpers. 70 71 has the large hook that goes under the bumper.

my 71 has the no ridge in the trunk but it is an early build i imagine later production date cars had the ridge. i think the ridge on the trunk is there for strength b/c ive seen some lids w/o the ridge and the metal seperates from the internal trunk and leaves a hump.. but ne way yes really the only thing u wud have to change is the grille and cut out the dash to make room for the rally gauges AND the tailights are the same for 70-71

The ridge was a mid year 71 change. The flat trunks were getting bent from closing.

-
Back