Duster Rear Window Louvers

-
I use asterisks to denote when I am pretending to perform an action, instead of saying something. For instance, if I put "*sigh*", it means, I am sighing. If I post "*facepalm*" it means I am putting my hand over my face, because someone has done something stupid. If I put "*hides*" it means I'm hiding. Maybe I'm trying to be funny cause a topic has gotten out of hand or something, and I'm joking that I'm hiding from the people who are all riled up, cause I don't want to get caught up in the crossfire.

In this instance, my action was "*prods topic*." It's fairly obvious what the topic is: the thread we've all been posting in. "Prod" is what I said to suggest I was poking at it. Two analogies for this that come to mind are when you stoke a fire, it helps to get the thing back roaring, when it has cooled down too much. Fire representing activity in the thread. The second would be when you poke someone in the side, to get their attention. It's like saying "Hey, topic. Pay attention. We're not done with you yet!"

*bows*

I hope that helps out haha.

(Note: I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or mean. Just explaining.)

Oh crap.... Is all this directed at me? I never got an email. I was wondering when it was coming. I just checked my spam and I don't see anything either. Sorry guys.

Please send me a pm with your email. I will reply with mine again. Check your spelling, I'll check the pm and make sure I didn't mess up.

Oh. Dang.

XD I tried to send it, but it didn't go through! Some attachment error. I thought it had gone without a hitch! Good thing you said something, or I never would have looked!

I'll try again. Sorry guys!

Ok I got the drawing from Sully and just cause I'm such a nice guy I modeled them in 3D... Actually I needed to make the laser cut flats anyway so why not... I'm getting paid for this anyway... even a little OT... The fill in pieces are a little rough but I think you get the idea. I'll send it for laser quoting tomorrow... might have a number in a couple days...

If anyone thinks there needs to be changes made, now's the time to step up.

L3.jpg

L2.jpg

L1.jpg

From cardboard and scissors, to CAD 3D drawings, OMG....!!! *as he stares off in disbelief*.. My hats off to you guys for picking up the ball and running with it! Keep us informed.. Any idea what a rough cost might be? And are you making them out of Metal, Aluminum? These look so Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have only one thing to add here and i dont know if its already done with your design, but ...im no good with editing but you get the idea

Attachments

• L1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 284
Yeah I see what you did there and it looks better. Keep in mind that I still think they are, well... you know... Lol

I printed a full scale version of the profile.... It's quite a bit off. It's close enough for pricing but if you really want them I would suggest working on the profile so it matches the Window better.... I think the glass will need to come out, be traced, drawn in cad and probably reprinted and tweeked a couple times.

Here's the closest my car will ever see to these.. Well unless we make them and I do some test fitting... It's rainy any my garage is real small....

IMG-20120604-00148.jpg

IMG-20120604-00149.jpg

Thanks

Right. I knew it'd be off a little. Just trying to get something workable. will be easy to redraw. Btw, nice car man. Love that stripe on the silver.

Right. I knew it'd be off a little. Just trying to get something workable. will be easy to redraw. Btw, nice car man. Love that stripe on the silver.

Thanks Sully, only thing it's missing is a silly pair of these Louver things I keep hearing so much about..... NOT!..... J/k... We'll get these done sooner than later.

Not gonna lie. I think a flat black set would look great on it, but anyways haha.

I 'm about to go out of town. I can still do drawings, but I won't be able to take my window off to trace. I'll need someone to trace and scan one for me, or better yet, find thr original specs. A nice diagram from a window place or wherever you crazy kids get your info.

... Maybe we should just ask chrysler haha.

Sir or Ma'am,
Hello. My name is Aaron Sullivan. I am sending this email as a request for information to assist in a current project that has been brewing on a classic MOPAR enthusiast site: forabodiesonly.com. It's a relatively large site, and I feel it important to note that this request is NOT coming on behalf of the site itself, but rather, a group of members on the site, who are making it a personal, pet project, to design aftermarket side window louvers for Dusters and Darts. In order to get the designs absolutely perfect, it would be spectacular to have dimensions for the side-rear window from a reputable and trustworthy source of automotive glass. I understand that it's likely a long-shot that you would be willing to share information that you worked to obtain with us for free, but I felt that, in the interest of creating the best final version possible, that dimensions from a manufacturer would be the most accurate source. I know that it would be easier to simply pop the window off, trace it, and scan it, but that leaves out subtle details, such as the curvature of the window, that we simply lack the instruments to measure correctly. Digging for information on the web has also turned up fruitless.
Thank you for your time and consideration. A portion of what is a rather large classic car community would be forever grateful for the kind service you provided, should you help us out.

Sent that to a well-known automotive glass manufacturer this morning. Just because I'm bored.

Hey dart sport those louvers would look good in gloss black instead of flat.
Keep up the good work and you too sully I cant wait to see these turn from a drawing to the real thing.
Thanks Guys

I would actually like some opinions on the finish of these....

I am getting prices for mild steel, aluminum and stainless from my laser cuter... for comparison more than anything.

For the mild steel I was going to get a number from a painter/powder coating source that we use. I know there's a recommended powder coating supplier for users of this website but shipping them all over will be costly... I don't know if colors will effect price but I also cant be responsible for colors not matching...

I can supply them in raw metal as well and you guys can find body shops to paint them... just wondering what you guys think...

I think aluminium ar mild steel. Stainless would make them cost much more.
It is a good idea to have them sold either powdercoated or raw.

Keep in mind I work in a stainless shop and yes material is more but I bet I can do a set in brushed stainless for the same cost as me sending them to someone for powder coating or painting.....

I'm nervous about alum because its so hard to weld really nice...

O well didnt know you worked in a stainless shop. So either Mild Steel or stainless then and forget aluminium. Can you paint or powdercoat stainless? if you did paint or powdercoat it could you remove it and the stainless still look good?

Ok I talked to the shop owner about cost to build a set of these... I just basically wanted to get an idea of how much labor would be. He says just make one and we'll see how long it takes to put together.... So looks like I'm gonna make one.

Now, thing is, this out line of the window we have is not correct. I think that if we are going to make one then lets make it right... this will also give me a chance to make some actual clips to mount to the window and we can all see what we are going to get. If it ends up in the scrap bin I don't think anyone's going to care.

So I assume there hasn't been any luck getting drawings from glass manufacturers..... Can someone do the work and get me the actual shape of the window?

Just as a ball park price.... the material cost is pretty small... a pair in Mild Steel is $30 with laser cutting and in stainless is $60... I'm guessing if it took 4 hours to weld on at our shop rate of $65/hr then a pair might run $290 to $320 plus shipping.... Now that's based on 4 hrs... is its less then its less... if more then... you get it...

I'd like some feedback as far as a reasonable price... If you guys only want to pay $150 for them then I'm not going to waste any time making one. The real point to making one is to nail down the labor cost.

Thanks, let me know....

-
Back