Duster shift linkage

-

Bills70

Reaction score
I am trying to install my column shift linkage in my 70 Duster but am having a problem with the bracket that mounts to transmission not having enough room to go on! (not enough room between tranny ear and car body) and even if I would lower the back of transmission to install bracket, it would then hit the floor board when I raise tranny back up. I installed Schumacher 6 cylinder to V8 mounts and a new aftermarket tranny mount and was wondering if any one else has had this problem? even if I could get it on, it would be about an 1" to 1 1/2" higher than the bracket on the frame! I also made a new angle iron bracket that would lower shaft by a 1/2 inch but that was not enough, so I then tried to install the new bracket from the bottom of the ear on the tranny and that "did" line up the shaft with bracket on frame, but, then I could not install bolt and nut! there is not enough room, because shaft is now on the top of ear on the tranny so I can not install the nut! I am hoping some one has an answer! I could put a 7/16 helicoil into the ear on tranny, but I am not sure if that would be a good idea or not, because of the lack of room between shaft and ear! There has to be a reason that tranny is to high!

if I think all V8 dusters and demon had only floor shifters for both 3 and 4 speeds
are you saying 3 and 4 speed automatic and manual transmission's? if so, that must have meant that 6 cyl. engines set lower in car with auto trans!

And where did the linkage come from? Just asking and trying to get an idea of what you working with.
it came with car when I bought it! just assuming it is from this car! it also looks just like the picture of linkage in service manual! it is the linkage with arms I am trying to use, in picture!

DSC00191.JPG

it came with car when I bought it! just assuming it is from this car! it also looks just like the picture of linkage in service manual! it is the linkage with arms I am trying to use, in picture!

View attachment 1715179846
Assume huh? LOL well that's not a good start LOL but it's a start.
I've seen people post pictures of every variation of linkage that possibly is and it's pretty much mind-boggling. I just bought a 360 727 combination for my power wagon and by golly I wanted every last piece of that stock linkage for the kickdown! And still have issues LOL nothing big that I haven't mostly ironed out but still it can be hard with the correct stuff let alone just one piece not the correct piece for your exact combination. So yes it may be a little touch and go. Even when I was putting my 4-speed stuff together I had to get the correct ear to fit onto my transmission for the z bar. You may have a similar situation where it's just one little piece there it just doesn't belong.

No more assuming! LOL :poke:
after a little modification to the bracket I made, drilling and tapping ear 5/8-11 on tranny and installing 7/16-20 carbon insert into ear, I was able to mount bracket I made to ear so that I could install shift linkage! now I will have to put it to the test! I have not installed shift arm into column yet!

DSC00210.JPG

DSC00211.JPG

DSC00212.JPG

after a little modification to the bracket I made, drilling and tapping ear 5/8-11 on tranny and installing 7/16-20 carbon insert into ear, I was able to mount bracket I made to ear so that I could install shift linkage! now I will have to put it to the test! I have not installed shift arm into column yet!

View attachment 1715181896

View attachment 1715181897

View attachment 1715181898
I like the pictures. It helps people to see what you're saying. And hopefully help you in return. And others...

u Need V8 linkage and also 727 is different from 904. Kim. U have the wrong parts
Kim, I made it work! I had to fab up a new bracket for tranny side, drill and tap tranny ear 5/8-11 and install 7/16-20 insert with red Loctite. I also had to make some special brass washers for linkage and a brass bushing for steering column arm!

-
Back