Dying a dash pad???????

-

Reaction score
Any one ever dye a dash pad? My GT has two cracks in it's black dash pad. But I have a parts car with a like new light green dash pad. And I was wondering if I could dye it black and swap them out. But I have not been able to find anything but the interior spray paint. And I am a little unsure about that stuff. Thanks!!!!!!

Get ahold of Just dashes, they have the best dye I have ever used. It is a little spendy, but it is a true dye, NOT[AN AROSOL like SEM, and Duplicolor that are just glorified laquers that do not penetrate and actually change the color, but just merely coat the surface.

See here for a photo-illustrated report of my very satisfactory experience with the aerosol products 440abody seems not to like.

I have used "Mopaints" interior dye with much success over the years. The very friendly gentleman who runs/ran the booth at the Mopar Nats every year was very knowladgeable about interior dying and colors, and he should have been, he worked in the interior parts division when your very car was coming down the line!!!I haven't seen him at the Nats the last couple years, but I have seen reference to his company online.

I have gone from a lighter color to a darker color many times with very satisfactory results. I have also redone correct factory color pads with much success. Just remember that the pad must be CLEAN, and I mean CLEAN before redying, and if it has ever been treated with a silicone based product such as Armor All, good luck getting it clean enough for it to take. Laquer thinner usually works the best when cleaning most pads.

Good luck with your project, Geof

Yep, another vote for the SEM product. And also in total agreement with clean, clean,clean again. The only reason I've ever seen unsatisfactory results with SEM vinyl spray is due to prep before paint.

Thanks to every one! Since I am going darker, I think I will go the dye rout first. I figure if it dose not work out I can always try the paint then. Thanks again to every one for the input!

-
Back