E 85 questions

-

Bill Dedman

bill dedman
Legendary Member
Reaction score
We now have access to E85 "gasohol" from a commercial pump.

Our new turbo /6 might benefit from the high octane, we're thinking, but we have a couple of questions about this different fuel.

Does anyone have advice about where we could send our Holley 4bbl for modification to run E85 in a blow-thru environment, with the proper mixture at elevated boost levels (25psi+)?

Is there any danger of parts degradation or damage to our fuel system (Walbro external pump; Mallory regulator?)

Will the chemistry of this fuel damage our aluminum half-inch line or fittings?

Any information will be appreciated!!!

He build my carb and have had no problem with it at all.

Troy

Well, the best laid plans....

Just talked to Randy at the carb shop and te told me unequivocally, that the blend of E 85 from a commercial pump is so unrealiable, from a percentage standpoint, that you need to check each fillup with a hydrometer to determine the makeup; it can range anywhere from 71 to 90 percent alcohol... That is for now. He says it's supposed to improve in the foreseeable future.

Guess I'll wait a while...
Thanks for all your responses!!!

FYI

The Ethanol content of E85 fuel is adjusted for the season and the locality where it is to be used. This is done to help starting in cold weather. Gasoline blends are also adjusted for winter and summer.

Just put on your Big Daddy Don Garlits t-shirt, grab a hydrometer and adjust your mix just like the big boys!!!

Art

FYI

The Ethanol content of E85 fuel is adjusted for the season and the locality where it is to be used. This is done to help starting in cold weather. Gasoline blends are also adjusted for winter and summer.

Just put on your Big Daddy Don Garlits t-shirt, grab a hydrometer and adjust your mix just like the big boys!!!

Art

He (the Carb Shop guy) was alluding to adjustments to the carburetor jetting, not the chemistry of the fuel. Not something I want to tackle on an ongoing basis..

Well, the best laid plans....

Just talked to Randy at the carb shop and te told me unequivocally, that the blend of E 85 from a commercial pump is so unrealiable, from a percentage standpoint, that you need to check each fillup with a hydrometer to determine the makeup; it can range anywhere from 71 to 90 percent alcohol... That is for now. He says it's supposed to improve in the foreseeable future.

Guess I'll wait a while...
Thanks for all your responses!!!

Yea here depending on year they run ( I thinbk) e-74, e-79, and e-85 depending on season. I don't drive alot on street so I normally just keep a barrell of e-98 and mix my own as it is just as easy as going to buy and test. Get a 55 gal drum of e-98 for between 200 to 260. then it is roughly a 4/1 mix with super unleaded and I always have the same mix that way. Plus I go ahead and thow in a bottle of grape top lube for the smell ;-).
The testers are extremely easy to use. Still beats paying $8+ a gallon for same octane

Troy

-
Back