E body brake conversion confusion

-

jawbone

Cuda_queer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Issue 1: Want to perform disc brake conversion on 68 Barracuda. Purchased 73 E body spindles (pn 3402626 and 3402627), 11 inch rotors and pin style calipers. Now for the confusing part. I understood the upper control arm would require replacement to accept large ball joint. If this is the case then why the following.

1973 DODGE DART Classic Performance A6374WBIK-S Classic Performance Stock-Type Control Arms | Summit Racing

Thought I could use later model A body upper control arm that accepts large ball joint.

Issue 2: Pins on calipers were bent in shipping. Replacements I have found are for pre 73. Cannot find for 73 and later. Mine are 5 1/4 inches long which is same as advertised. Do I possibly have earlier model calipers? Have a set of sliding calipers. Can I use them in lieu of pin style?

20240924_112928[1].jpg

20240924_112933[1].jpg

20240924_113007[1].jpg

20240924_113045[1].jpg

20240924_113144[1].jpg

Issue 1: CPP’s application chart is completely useless. This is just their stupid way of saying those are A-body UCA’s with the large upper ball joints. So a 73+ A body UCA is the same thing. B/E bodies used the same large upper ball joint as the 73+ A bodies.

Issue 2: I’m pretty sure that the pins are the same, I have definitely swapped pins between calipers that were from 72 down and 73+. Or at least were advertised as such, so, maybe that’s not a good indicator. The pin style caliper brackets are definitely interchangeable ‘70-72 and 73+, because I’ve run early calipers on the later 11.75” caliper brackets for a rotor upgrade.

And yes, you can use the slider calipers on those spindles as long as you have the matching caliper brackets, which you appear to have.

Last edited:
Issue 1: CPP’s application chart is completely useless. This is just their stupid way of saying those are A-body UCA’s with the large upper ball joints. So an 73+ A body UCA is the same thing. B/E bodies used the same large upper ball joint at the 73+ A bodies.

Issue 2: I’m pretty sure that the pins are the same, I have definitely swapped pins between calipers that were from 72 down and 73+. Or at least were advertised as such, so, maybe that’s not a good indicator. The pin style caliper brackets are definitely interchangeable ‘70-72 and 73+, because I’ve run early calipers on the later 11.75” caliper brackets for a rotor upgrade.

And yes, you can use the slider calipers on those spindles as long as you have the matching caliper brackets, which you appear to have.
Thanks for the very informative and precise response. Can't thank you enough.

Issue 1: CPP’s application chart is completely useless. This is just their stupid way of saying those are A-body UCA’s with the large upper ball joints. So a 73+ A body UCA is the same thing. B/E bodies used the same large upper ball joint as the 73+ A bodies.

I posted another question regarding this issue. The pins provided me will not screw into caliper mounting bracket.

I posted another question regarding this issue. The pins provided me will not screw into caliper mounting bracket.

Ok, I replied in your other thread. In the future it's usually easier to keep your questions that are on the same topic in the same thread, because I wouldn't have seen the new thread until you replied to this one. And now your answers are going to be in two different threads. Just food for thought.

-
Back