Eagle crank

-

kikgas01

Reaction score
Here is the Eagle crank that come out of my 440 stroked to a 500. Notice the nice little crack in it? I think its just a crappy design It is from the oil hole out to both sides.
brokecrank001.jpg

brokecrank004.jpg

brokecrank002.jpg

brokecrank003.jpg

oh dear lord. good thing you saw it when you took it out instead of finding out with a rod through your block!!

oh dear lord. good thing you saw it when you took it out instead of finding out with a rod through your block!!
It started to hammer and I shut it off instantly and saved everything! It has a ton of money in it and now another 3,200 bucks,including a new 700 dollar Ohio crankshaft with the 8 bolt flange like the Hemis have.

did you talk to ohio crank about fixing your crank? they have fixed two of them for me there motto used to be if its in one peice they can fix it and if I remember right it was pretty cheap.thats been back in the 80s.thay did a god job on both cranks thay were in dirt track motors that was turnd 7500 with no problums. just tring to help.. Artie

150 miles,and used racing fuel. I hate the thought of fixing a crankshaft so I just bit the bullet and bought another.godfatherofchry the crank that cracked is a Eagle so I bought a Ohio. I emailed Eagle,but heard nothing.

Here is their response to me. They think it bas broke prior to installation. They are calling their product JUNK!
That is a strange place for a crack to happen. Usually, cracks will originate in corners or other stress-concentration points. Heat-related fatigue due to improper oiling will not be a single crack. It will look more like a spider web around the entire journal. That could possibly have been there prior to installation. Was the crank turned or modified prior to installation? If you had noticed that before installation, we could have replaced it easily.

Also, if you wanted an 8-bolt flange, why didn't you order it with an 8-bolt flange (part number 444241506760)?

We have never had oiling issues with our Chrysler cranks before, so I do not believe it is a design problem.

Here is my 2 emails back to them.
email 1...
Of course it wasn`t that way prior to install. Why,should your crankshafts be broken prior to install? it was a BRAND NEW crank with 150 miles on it. Luckily I shut it off when it started to hammer or it would have ruined my entire engine.. I got by with a 3,700 dollar repair bill instead of having to buy another brand new 440 stroked to a 500.
email 2.....
I know another person who races 440`s and shelled 2 of them with Eagle cranks and guess what? It`s between 1 and 2 crank journal! Just like mine but over a little farther. If you don`t want to hear my concern that is fine. I have posted my problem on several websites with pics of it and can post the previous email about it possibly having a crack prior to installation if you want? I just wanted you to be aware of the problem and thought maybe I could be a asset to you, your company and your product just by checking your product against other products and comparing them so you could get a better product for the public but I don`t think you are interested. Thanks for responding anyway.
ALL I CAN DO IS WARN EVERYONE TO CHECK THEIR CRANKS FOR A CRACK BETWEEN 1 AND AND 2 JOURNAL ON THE CRANKSHAFTS!!!!

Eagle Cranks Are Garbage!!!!!!
This Is The Umbteenth Time I Heard This Happen..and Seen Pics.

btw what main clearances? was it line honed?

Ohio Crankshaft Has A Far Superior Product.FYI
I Run One And Know.

I told them I will post this on every MOPAR website that I can find since they won`t stand behind their product and they basically call their product JUNK before its even installed!!!!!!!

Me chinese,
Me play joke,
Me put big crack, in your stroke!

I saw this on moparts. That sucks.
That's a bummer it's gotta cost someone all that money to get back to square one because of a faulty component.

I think you'll be a lot happier with an Ohio.

3,700 dollars later. I hope I will. I have a AWESOME mopar guy rebuilding it for me. I can`t wait to get my Dart going again!!! He is the one who recommended Ohio crankshaft. It was 700 plus shipping plus having it balanced. GULP!!!!!

I was told by an experienced engine builder that Scat is the only all Chinese crank to use.

it's that or spend more like you just did....

Me chinese,
Me play joke,
Me put big crack, in your stroke!

I saw this on moparts. That sucks.
That's a bummer it's gotta cost someone all that money to get back to square one because of a faulty component.

I think you'll be a lot happier with an Ohio.

now that is funny...lmao..

sfi balancer and flex plate. It was a funny saying BUT SUCKS re buying parts LOL! I think I should email the saying to them LOL.

sfi is the brand of flexplate and I think the balancer is summit or tci. I will have to dig through my receipts,but I know it`s not a fluid damper.

Callies Dragonslayer are also imported but the Machining is done at Callies.

Thats why I said all Chinese....

Originally Posted by mopar340dave
I was told by an experienced engine builder that Scat is the only all Chinese crank to use.

it's that or spend more like you just did....

-
Back