early 64ish center section question

-

3404spdfish

Reaction score
I just cam across a pile, well small pile of 64ish 8.75 b body rear ends. I know they have tapered axles and the hub/drum are pressed on, however I noticed there 741 housings and almost all are sure grip or well something is going on in thee due to the fact that both axles spin the same direction. the question is since nothing else interchanges with my 8.75 do the center sections interchange. are the axles ends the same spline and diameter? some input here would be nice before I get to stripping them down

Yes, the 741 case will have the 30 spline axles. The early sure grip have 2 piece side gears and sometimes you will find the axles may not be long enough to in-gauge into both splines of the side gears. I pieced milled a early B 8 3/4 and found this out when letting the car down off the jacks and although it was in park the car rolled down the driveway.
As far as the housings go,the flange axle housing can be upgraded to use the 65-up axles by changing the axle end studs for longer ones.(Dr.Diff has those) then you can use the 65-up axles and backing plates etc.

You can send them to Moser or some one else who knows what they are doing and have the housings shortened and the newer housing ends welded on. Add used OEM small bolt pattern axles or new big bolt pattern "A" body axles to finish the deal. I'm not sure if you can add the buttons to the sure grip to get the correct thickness for the "A" body axles to work. Moser or Dr. Diff should be able to help with that.

-
Back