-
Status
Not open for further replies.

two fords

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
1963 to 66 dart V8 K-frame setup for Corvair steering box. Had in 66 dart with Big Block great exhaust clearance. (see avatar) $150 & shipping Engine can be moved foward to access transmission bolts from under hood

Attachments

• DSC00219.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 645
  • DSC00218.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 885
This is pretty cool, and if you ever attempt this conversion, you'll appreciate the added room this steering box gives you. off the shelf headers are now again possible. Heck, even SB headers are possible now. Good work.

Me too. And I did it with a stock box and 2" headers....Like I said to the interested buyer...."you'll appreciate the room..."

nice job two fords. just out of curiousity why did you remove it? what did you replace it with? i am guessing maybe an alterkation or similar to save weight?

I took the 440 out and I building a 32 roadster around it. I replaced that with a 360 (roller camed with 340X heads and air gap intake)

Attachments

• DSC00231.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 553
  • DSC00198.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 550
did you come up with that steering box conversion? that very cool. do you use the rest of the car's steering linkage or something else? was there a corvair power steering box that could have been used? sorry for all the questions

I did do all the engineering and fabrication. I build all my cars except for interiors.
I reversed the lower arms and drilled them for hime joints and bought swedge tubes from speedway to replace the drag link and tie-rods.

I did do all the engineering and fabrication. I build all my cars except for interiors.
I reversed the lower arms and drilled them for hime joints and bought swedge tubes from speedway to replace the drag link and tie-rods.

how did it steer? could it back up ok i realize the extra weight of the big block but how did it handl/steer?

Didn't have any problems. Of course it not power assisted and we mostly drove in a stright line. (1/4 & 1/8 mile at a time) I was looking at a external Power unit from a 50's merc that bolts/clamps to the center link but the pump looks like hell on the engine.

I been building my cars since I was in high-school, my first was finished in 66 as my class project in auto mechanics. If you just sit there and keep looking at it will come to you. everyone has some ideas don't be afraid to cut anything. Yes make paper templets see if it will fit. but you can put anything into anything.

did you come up with that steering box conversion? that very cool. do you use the rest of the car's steering linkage or something else? was there a corvair power steering box that could have been used? sorry for all the questions

Just an FYI...Corvairs were rear engined & had very light front ends. So light that, IIRC, they recommended running something like 15 or 17 psi in the front tires to make the early models with swing-axle rear suspension handle correctly. Power steering was never available on them.

Hey fellas I own 3 "FYI" 61 66 and a Fitch Sprint. Fitch in Conn made racers out of them as well as highly modified street cars. Please research a car before making comments as a Ford/Pontiac guy I know that Ralph Nader had an agenda to get rid of them, even today the second generation car looks ahead of their time. Oh there was a prototype model of a Pontiac made from that platform

TO 64 CUDA,
I couldn't understand "IIRC" so I looked it up please let me know what it means?
This is what I found:

Category filter:
Acronym Definition
IIRC If I Recall/Remember Correctly
IIRC Interactive Illinois Report Card
IIRC If I Read Correctly
IIRC If I Really Cared
IIRC Image and Identity Research Collective
IIRC Impedance Imaging Research Center (Korea)
IIRC If It Really Counts
IIRC If I Recollect Correctly
IIRC International Internet Recruiting Consultants, Inc.
IIRC International Inter-Society Research Committee (on Nuclear Codes and Standards)
IIRC Internet Information Research Center
IIRC Immunity and Infection Research Centre
IIRC Interstate Insurance Receivership Compact
IIRC Information Integrity Research Centre (UK)
IIRC International Interpretation Resource Center
IIRC International Interdisciplinary Research Colloquium
IIRC Iraqi Islamic Reconciliation Conference
IIRC Inactive Item Review Code (US DoD)
IIRC Isn't It Really Cool
IIRC IVF & Infertilty Research Centre (Calcutta, India)
IIRC In Internet Relay Chat

TwoFords, don't take all comments as attacks on your credability or parts. We are not here to tell you your business or take down your posts, but just to shoot the **** and have a good time. IIRC is used here as "if I remember correctly" and that is a big IF. Please dont take it as a "your full of BS, It was this way...". If you are an authority and want to set us straight on a topic or fact, go ahead. Just do it tactfully as we all want to leave this forum a little wiser, not belittled..like, "wow, that guy schooled me in front of everybody" FWIW of course ;-) BTW, I am still looking at your modified K pics, very nice.

I just pulled my Early-A Kframe out lastnight for some chopping/boxing in.This thread gave me some ideas.Thanks.

All I meant was If I Remember Correctly. And I've always loved Corvairs (still have a few parts from one laying around). VWs too. Also took a lot of crap for it in high school. I always thought anything air cooled was sort of an in-your-face statment. Can't explain it but somehow I liked air-cooled cars before I even knew what air-cooled was. And rear-engined cars can be a blast to drive.

Pishta,
Sorry if I came off sounding that way. I didn't understand what the letters were and what the obvious faults of the covair had to do withthe boxes use in other applications. I have used them in 32's, T's, fat fender's as well as other cars. There repops now sold for the same reasons.
The biggest thing I found in doing a Mopar is to move the motor mount hole foward about an 1 1/2'' you will be amazed what it does for engine swaps and clearance and if you don't like it move it back. (see the pict'sof the modified K frame I listed.
Bob

Totally agree on early A's. If you move the '64-66 motor back toward the firewall 2 inches (hardly possible with the distributor there) you really help in '67 header to steering gear clearance. Im currently sectioning every tube from a '67 2 inches down where the steering linkage to get it to clear, dimpling wasnt going to clear it. Now if I could find shorter idler and pitman arms and a fast ratio steering box, that might work too, but for now im just working with what I got. Im convinced that when Mopar went to the 67 chassis, they changed the motor to suspension distance. It's all good, no harm no foul...play on!

Hey two fords, I just wanted to let you know... I wasn't pointing out those things as faults in the Corvair, just as reasons why there was never any power steering offered on them... it wasn't necessary with that light front end. And you're right, the Corvair box has been popular for street rods for decades. It's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back