Early A experts, opinions wanted

-

Gryzynx

Senior Moment
Reaction score
As if I needed another project, but.....

My youngest son will be turning 16 soon. Found this '63 Valiant and it's speaking to me! Might turn into his birthday present. Price is right and it might run. I've got enough 2nd generation A body parts to get it going. I can find the obvious rust and I'll be looking at floors, frame rails, trunk. Anybody see any problem areas here? Anything hidden that I should be looking at?

Thanks. 006.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

cars 007.jpg

cars 008.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

cars 007.jpg

cars 008.jpg

Wow, looks pretty clean. I'd say she's a keeper! Just look for the obvious rust places. Don't forget the spare tire well and under the floor covering (rubber mat or carpeting)

Keep Her!!! That is a unique body style and looks well taken care of....well...more than most...:)

Wow, looks pretty clean. I'd say she's a keeper! Just look for the obvious rust places. Don't forget the spare tire well and under the floor covering (rubber mat or carpeting)

As always, check inside the cowl. Also, are you sure it's what your son wants? Sometimes our progeny haven't developed the same appreciation we have....

As always, check inside the cowl. Also, are you sure it's what your son wants? Sometimes our progeny haven't developed the same appreciation we have....

Gryzynx, if he doesn't like it you can always add a double decker spoiler on the back, maybe another on the hood, a fart can, some 12" wide wheels with rubber band tires, neon underneath, thumpa thumpa stereo, clear tailight lenses...... :-D

Looks Like a good solid car, If he likes it it will be a safe first car and the lil' slanty will carry him past many a gas station's...maybe gather some pic's of some finished to show him before you unveil it to him....:cheers: squid's are a tough crowd Lol...I have a few if you need extra's

Yeah, BIG problem!!!
Its a Valiant doghouse on a Dart chassis. Also, it looks like it has a lot of parts I need. I'll tell you when MY birthday is :)
Mikey Bynum

Yeah, BIG problem!!!
Its a Valiant doghouse on a Dart chassis. Also, it looks like it has a lot of parts I need. I'll tell you when MY birthday is :)
Mikey Bynum
No it's a Vart. Canadian Darts have Valliant front ends.

Gryzynx, if he doesn't like it you can always add a double decker spoiler on the back, maybe another on the hood, a fart can, some 12" wide wheels with rubber band tires, neon underneath, thumpa thumpa stereo, clear tailight lenses...... :-D

Now there's my worst nightmare!

Point well taken about whether or not the young folk will appreciate a car like this. My son is not particularly a car guy, but he did seem interested when I showed some pictures. Might be the start of a good case of Mopar fever, or it could fizzle. I see there are some young guns on board here, so it's not unheard of. Least I can do is try.

Thanks for all the appreciation and comments so far. If this pans out, guess I'll have to start a build thread.

I thought the back of that looked like my Dart. If you need any trim, let me know, I'm taking almost everything off my 63 Dart GT.

great car there. not alot of work needed to make it nice. wish my 64 cuda was that condition

There were no Darts in Canada prior to 67. The CDN Valiant was actually the same as a US Dart, except for the badging. (Vart) That looks like a nice clent, straigt example of the breed. Buy it and enjoy it.

hey thats a nice car there if he dont like it whitch im sure he will theres always more out there that will buy it. i got a 63 valiant wagon im proud to say shes mine.

if you get it just make sure that rear window gasket is good. its not replaceable. if you're planning to swap in a v8 you'll have to do some hammerwork on the firewall for distributor clearance.

as a non-brand-specific car enthusiast i kinda like that '59 el camino in the background (or is it a ranchero?)

-Tim

cool car! what a great present that would be.

As if I needed another project, but.....

My youngest son will be turning 16 soon. Found this '63 Valiant and it's speaking to me! Might turn into his birthday present. Price is right and it might run. I've got enough 2nd generation A body parts to get it going. I can find the obvious rust and I'll be looking at floors, frame rails, trunk. Anybody see any problem areas here? Anything hidden that I should be looking at?

Thanks.View attachment 125957

View attachment 125958

View attachment 125959

View attachment 125960

View attachment 125961

Looks like a great starting point- hopefully your son will get dirty fixing it up with you- it will mean more to him and be more careful. My advice with new drivers- Keep it in primer for the first year- tell him that if he has no accidents the first year you will give him______dollars as a reward-you fill in the amount
Rebuild the front end- totally redo brakes- I recommend at least a dual resevoir master cylinder- I like the SSBC dic brakes- can choose sbc or bbc-or change later. You can use 14" rallye wheels also.
I recommend (to everyone) to install new seat belts in cars we drive on the street. The original 40-45 year old belts we use are probably dry rotted and will break on any collision- think about it, I would like to see someone test this. I recommend the Paddock. They sell new belts ofr under $30 complete-choice of many colors....
Pray alot while he is out driving- don't let other kids ride with him for the first years
Just a few thoughts..........

If you're looking to keep the same drivetrain, pull the rear end cover and check the gears for pitting.(especially the spiders) If the 903 trans and column shift parts are good it would suprise me so figure having to put some money in that. Those ball and trunion type driveshafts are another trouble area to check. If the engine is good, everything else should be relatively minor. The brake upgrade mentioned is highly recommended! Have fun....
Thanks, Mark

I think that is a fine automoblile, ehh? But then I'm a little bit skewed to the north, ehh? I bought mine for my son (heh heh, at least thats what I tell the wife.)

Gonna put rallyes and K.H. front brakes on it for the boy... if he gets his grades up.

bought the 63 for my daughter; she loves it and drives it carefully understanding it's capabilities on the road. The am radio sometimes works but I like the fact there are no tunes , keeps her focused on the car and road. Did redo the brakes but didn't have money for the upgrade, installed seatbelts front and rear.

Looks like a nice score!I just pulled the carpet out of my 66 Dart,to find it,s starting to rot (floor)from the insideout.Looks fine when looking under car?Must have been a w.shield leak years ago.Check under carpet!

Now there's my worst nightmare!

Point well taken about whether or not the young folk will appreciate a car like this. My son is not particularly a car guy, but he did seem interested when I showed some pictures. Might be the start of a good case of Mopar fever, or it could fizzle.

That's how *I* ended up with my 'Cuda. It didn't have electric windows and mirrors, power locks, and A/C. My boy, as much as I love him, thought he wanted the car, turned out he missed the creature comforts of today's cars. We gave him the family Durango.

-
Back