Early A Rear Sway Bar Install Pictures? Mounts to Axle

-

nerd racing

Reaction score
Anyone have good pictures of an aftermarket Early A body sway bar installed? The one I picked up seems to be setup to mount to the axle, not the body like the factory one.

This is going on my 64 Barracuda.

Thanks!

Most aftermarket ones I have seen mount to the axle with U-bolts. The arms point forward and mount to the frame rails, with short end links.

While mounting to the body is superior from the standpoint of unsprung weight, the physics are the same either way. Mainly, design & packaging is much easier, since the axle shape is always the same -- only the length and spread of the arms have to be changed for different applications. A body-mounted bar would need to be custom-shaped for every different application.

At least one vendor makes a body-mounted rear bar for later A-bodies (might be Hellwig). I don't know if one is available for early cars.

If you do mount to the axle if using 3 inch tubes on axle housing use spring pads to mount sway bar. They do not bend like u-bolts will.

Anyone have good pictures of an aftermarket Early A body sway bar installed? The one I picked up seems to be setup to mount to the axle, not the body like the factory one.

This is going on my 64 Barracuda.

Thanks!

This question has been tossed around several times and so far no one has come up with documentation (that I know of) that a Mopar rear factory sway bar ever existed for the early A.

Someone said a factory camaro rear bar would work. Junkyard pull. I think a bar on the axle and end links to the chassis is easier if you can find the right size bar.

@ Oklacarcollecto:

I believe you're right: In my reprint of the Mopar "Hi-Performance and Dress-Up Parts" catalog for 1962-66, sway-bar kits for the early A-bodies are shown for the front only; uprated springs and shocks are listed and pictured for the rear, but no sway bar is mentioned or shown.

To my knowledge the only factory rear sway offered in ANY A Body was in 76 on the A Body cop car.

I think I mounted the frame well link mounts first. Jacking one side at a time and removing wheel helps. Work safely. Then add mounts to rearend, leave loose for adjustment. Last add end links.

I think I mounted the frame well link mounts first. Jacking one side at a time and removing wheel helps. Work safely. Then add mounts to rearend, leave loose for adjustment. Last add end links.

Sounds good to me! I have to do rear shocks, filler neck grommet, and add the rear wheel adapter/spacers and slap on my Bullitts today so I'll be in the right area for sure. I'll try and grab some pictures when I'm in there.

-
Back