Easiest headers to install?

-
Good luck. Seriously tho. Tti headers are the only option. If you don't want headers that drag on the ground, or have to cut your inner fenders to install them, they are really your only option.

I'll have to agree...spend the money and forget the headache.:banghead:..with TTI..you wont have to worry about them turning to chit on you...I'm glad I spent the cash on mine....mine will last longer then I will prob have the car...:toothy8:

I'll have to agree...spend the money and forget the headache.:banghead:..with TTI..you wont have to worry about them turning to chit on you...I'm glad I spent the cash on mine....mine will last longer then I will prob have the car...:toothy8:

Budget doesnt allow. Ill just go with the shorty ones. easier than full length, and only $143, thanks anyways.

here's a question...can you open up a set of stock exhaust manifolds to breath a little better?....just a shot in the dark...may make your buget better if posssible....just a thought

Budget doesnt allow. Ill just go with the shorty ones. easier than full length, and only $143, thanks anyways.

I had Headman Shorty's on my 360 Duster when I got it. They are easy to install, no clearance issues that I can remember. They do come down at an odd angle towards the drivers side of the block, or at least the headman's do. So bolting up your pipes to the collector might be a bit of chore. They sound fine, but that really depends more on what mufflers your running. I took mine off and put them on my truck though.

I have a 1973 duster I just installed the headman headers, I have an issue with the steering linkage on the passenger side hiting the header when I turn

^^Then you better do "whatever it takes" to fix that. Dent the headers, shim the motor mounts, investigate damage and wear in the steering system. I had to heat (torch/ rosebud) my Hedmans and dent them in a few places.

Summit brand headers fit that bill just fine.

I'll chime in here...
I bought Doug's D453 headers for my 68 318 Barracuda and try as I might, I still ended up "massaging" the #3 & #5 pipes to clear the power steering.
Not a big deal..and it didn't take a lot....can't even really tell unless you look for it.

No 2 cars are exactly alike. ......
10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. .....

Jeff

It's a five year old thread....

But yeah, any "cheap" headers will be difficult to install. I just put a set of hookers on my car. And yes, it was every bit of a pain as they say. Raise the motor. Take off power steering pump. Take off 90 degree adapter. Take steering apart entirely. All of that just to get them on the studs. I imagine it ended up being 6 hours to get them hung, not even completely mounted, just hung. And that doesn't include taking off the old manifolds. Over the course of a few days.

Then my buddy who's helping me snaps a stud. Then he snaps the extractor. Then we round off the next extractor. So it had to go to a shop anyways. Where I found out half the mounting holes were helicoiled and the studs were absolutely stuck. Took the shop 6 hours to fix everything.

I drive it home, steering still bumps the headers, can feel it drag over when turning past a certain point. And it's awful close to a torsion bar. And I'll have to weld/fab up some wicked bends to get through the exhaust channels under the body. Next time I will just spend the dollars and go Dougs/tti which are supposed to fit the best.

So there's that.

Passenger side is fine.drivers side the steering box is in the way.and the way they are bent dont think i could bolt up the collecters without hitting the oil pan

KEEP SAVING YOUR MONEY FOR A SET OF TTI HEADERS.OR PUT STOCK MANIFOLDS ON.MONEY WELL SPEND,UNLESS ITS A STOCK 318

KEEP SAVING YOUR MONEY FOR A SET OF TTI HEADERS.OR PUT STOCK MANIFOLDS ON.MONEY WELL SPEND,UNLESS ITS A STOCK 318

Shorty headers from TTI. And they were not exactly "easy" to install either. Kickdown linkage either needs to be modified (welding & cutting) or be replaced by a Lokar cable setup. Don't know why they designed them that way. Also attaching the TTI collector pipes to the headers is no piece of cake either. Bottom line is A-bodies and headers, any kind of headers, just don't play nice together!

So im learning.seems like money is the issue when it comes to headers.tti and dougs are so god damn expensive! But thats because they know they fit i guess

Don't be a cheapskate, this ain't a chevy. When you pound your cheap headers into pancakes because you scrape everything, tear them out and put Doug's or TTi.

I wish I would have done it right the first time. Autozone 20% discount on Doug's coated, price matched with Jegs is the way to go! The heat reduction alone is worth the price of admission.

Won't fit. At least on the drivers side. Exhaust tube #1 would probably run directly into steering. At least on power steering like mine. The number 1 tube barely clears as is with the kick it has. And depending on how far down the side the collectors are, you might never get the engine back in. When I was removing my hi pro manifolds, you cant get the collectors out with how tight it is between the block side and everything else.

Won't fit. At least on the drivers side. Exhaust tube #1 would probably run directly into steering. At least on power steering like mine. The number 1 tube barely clears as is with the kick it has. And depending on how far down the side the collectors are, you might never get the engine back in. When I was removing my hi pro manifolds, you cant get the collectors out with how tight it is between the block side and everything else.

Thanks, i wont spend the money there than, i think autozone is doing the 20% off right now so i may just have to buy those dougs headers.

Good man, you won't be dissapointed. I'm a cheap *** at heart so I can relate. Sometimes you've just got to lay the bread on the table!

Torque converters are another area NOT to skimp on. I'm not saying spend bank, but expect to spent around $600 for a decent one made for your combo.

This is another hard lesson learned!

i ended up buying the Doug's headers D453 through summit. i did the price match through the online chat so i got for same price as autozone.

-
Back