Edelbrock Performer or AVS carbs for 318 dual quad?

-
650s !?!?! EEK!!!! I've got 2 500 Eddie AFBs on the STR-12 on my 340. I can't imagine why you would use 650s. If you are going to open the carbs at the same time, no reason not to use the same carb front and back. By the way, I used Performers (AFBs) because they didn't make AVSIIs in 2005.
View attachment 1716008811

View attachment 1716008812
I know 650's would be too big, just looking at the price diff and wistfully wishing... If the only difference between the "dual carb calibrated" 1903 and the plain vanilla 1901 is the secondary jet I'd save about $150 on the pair so I'm leaning that way.

btw, nice engine :)

What I have noticed with Edel AFB carbs: if man choke, it is a 'performance model'; if elec choke, it is an 'economy' model. Jetting for each is different. Not sure if this carried over to the AVS carbs.

I think that's for a 350. From the chart I'm looking at, for a 323 (.030 over 318) it looks like between 109 and 110. Kind of don't want to run a Comp Cams after reading about problems some people have with their hydraulic roller lifters. Leaning towards Howard's Cams or Hughes.
I just broke in a Comp cam, zero issues. Follow proper procedures, you’ll be fine. Check that the lifters skin in there bores and move smoothly up and down in them.

10 years ago when I said I was going to put a dual quad tunnel ram on my 318 half the forum was calling for tar and the other half feathers...
When I lost a half second at the drag strip you could hear a pin drop....
Assuming you're not going to be at wide open throttle at the drag strip 99% of the time and you're going to drive this on the street I would definitely recommend edelbrocks. They've been around a while and have infinite cleaning parts. If you study the Edelbrock that are specifically designed for a dual quad application they are not tuned exactly the same.... Have found while a wideband O2 sensor is extremely helpful it's not the end all... The important part is having fun..

Just to be sure this comes through clear: The dual quad calibrated AVSIIs are calibrated for a progressive linkage. For what you propose to do you definitely DON'T want them!!! If you are opening them all at once you want two identical carbs.

Just to be sure this comes through clear: The dual quad calibrated AVSIIs are calibrated for a progressive linkage. For what you propose to do you definitely DON'T want them!!! If you are opening them all at once you want two identical carbs.
So would I be better off with a pair of 1902's (.095 main primary jet, .077 main secondary jet) or a pair of 1904's (.095 on both primary and secondary main jet)? Either way, I'm going with manual chokes on both carbs instead of electric on one and manual on the other like their "matched pair" setup.

Whatever size you decide to run with, make them twin carbs, both manual chokes.

carbs.PNG

OK, now just need to decide on cam and pistons.

650s !?!?! EEK!!!! I've got 2 500 Eddie AFBs on the STR-12 on my 340. I can't imagine why you would use 650s. If you are going to open the carbs at the same time, no reason not to use the same carb front and back. By the way, I used Performers (AFBs) because they didn't make AVSIIs in 2005.
View attachment 1716008811

View attachment 1716008812
That's a bowl fulla awesome right there.

-
Back