Elec. Wiper Motor 6V.

-

Doctor Dirt

Reaction score
Looking to swap out a vac. wiper system in my 49 Dodge Wayfarer. Would anyone know of a company that produces an electric set up that can be used with a 6 volt system. Thanx much, Doc.

we converted our 46 WC to 12 volt but speedway and a couple others make 12 and 6v kits...

Thanks, tried Speedway, they have the single wiper (truck) set up!! I'm unable to dig into the dash because of injuries so a friend will check it out for me and see if its rigged correctly. If it needs a rebuild and its my only option than thats what needs to be done. I was hoping for a more reliable set up. thanks, Doc

Have you thought of "other options? Just how often do you NEED wipers in the car? Could improve the vacuum motor operation?

1--Investigate a dual diaphragm fuel pump

2--Install a vacuum reservoir

3--There used to be electric operated booster vaccum pumps

4--With today's diesel engines, maybe rig a belt operated pump off one of them?

5--Personally I'd be converting the car to 12V!!!

Hoping to stick with the 6V if I can!!! The car was restored about 7 years ago a complete rotissere job was done and the car is stock. I thought about the redue but for now the only real draw back is wipers!
I will look into a "boost" and hopefully that can be a real assistance. The car will be used alot and I plan on some short tour runs coast to coast in Florida, 400 mile trips!

Wipers and vintage A/C will be the only additions. The car runs strong and other than a steering box thats needs attention the car is pretty true! My first car was a 49 Plymouth wagon used to take tree stumps out of the ground with that thing!!!! Sorta of a /car/tractor thing!!!!! ha! thanx Doc

My 51 Plymouth had 6 volt electric wipers. I also had a 49 Dodge pickup that I rebuilt the vacuum wiper motor, ok I just took it apart cleaned it and greased it up and made a gasket out of a cereal box. The secret I found to the vacuum wipers was to step on the gas then let off and the wipers wild go like crazy for a second or two.

The secret .......... to the vacuum wipers was to step on the gas then let off and the wipers wild go like crazy for a second or two.

LOL. This doesn't do ya much good if you're climbing a long hill or have a loaded truck, trailer. Add ice and snow, and you have a lot of fun.

My Dad, Gramps, when I was a kid, had more than a couple old Chev/ GMC pickups with vacuum wipers.

1966 and earlier VW beetles were 6V. They are simple in both wiring and linkage. Get complete, system if you can. I will try to provide pictures and measurements later today.

Here are a couple of VW units, the top one is 6V. The bottom one is 12V in the event you convert to 12V. They both measure 15 5/8" between centers of wiper arm pivots. They are 2 speed with park. Not sure if ones like this will work for you.

Attachments

• IMG_0784 (800x600).jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0785 (800x420).jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 130
-
Back