electric water pump vs. alternater belt

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I have a new Proform electric water pump and need at least 3 inches from the harmonica balancer to the center of the v to get the belt to not rub against the inlet tube of the radiator, and also an under drive pulley for drag racing. I was wondering if anybody has had the same problem and exactly what they did? Pictures would be awesome to and/or part numbers?? thank you for any experience with this situation it's a small block la motor and I'm trying not to go through all the hassle of relocating it to the drivers side and getting it in the way of my timing marks and such. Again thank you ...

^^^thank you, I was truly hoping to be able to simply find a way to space an underdrive pulley or find a 3" one.

There isn't much with electric water pump and alternator combos surprisingly. Best of luck!

I have a new Proform electric water pump and need at least 3 inches from the harmonica balancer to the center of the v to get the belt to not rub against the inlet tube of the radiator, and also an under drive pulley for drag racing. I was wondering if anybody has had the same problem and exactly what they did? Pictures would be awesome to and/or part numbers?? thank you for any experience with this situation it's a small block la motor and I'm trying not to go through all the hassle of relocating it to the drivers side and getting it in the way of my timing marks and such. Again thank you ...

Now you see why I took mine off....and went to the stock water pump and Moroso style electric pump with the belt...

The lower radiator hose was getting rubbed on from the alternator belt...tried to make a cover for the hose ....but had 3 lower hoses get a hole rubbed in them over the past several years...with the last one being at the last race and that was the last straw...the other two cars use the moroso set up...so now everything is the same...and simple.

make a spacer out of solid aluminium to fit the bolt pattern of the underdrive pulley....to space it out

I only used 4 of the 6 bolts holes on the pulley

Now you see why I took mine off....and went to the stock water pump and Moroso style electric pump with the belt...
yes this is the one that I just took off because of its problems and lack of dependability. I guess I was just trying to do something to help my situation. its so funny when you go to the track and you see all the different configurations of different cars. I have yet to see two cars exactly the same. I'm thinking about the spacer idea myself, but I would assume it would have to be extremely well balanced considering its position? I was even giving some crazy thought to little 1 inch spacers x6 on the bolts between the harmonic balancer and the pulley itself? but it sounds a little sketchy.

do you have any pics of the setup. I'd like to help.

So much easier to simply run a stock style belt driven pump.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pieces-4-...206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418f3550be

something like this....have local machine shop cut to size and drill holes....

take the pully to the machine shot and even the balancer so you can get it cut to fit inside it.....plus show them you need 3 inches with the spacer and pulley in place
I have half inch aluminum stock at home again it's getting it all machine down and seeing if its worth it? I noticed some other two pulley applications that may be a little deeper?

So much easier to simply run a stock style belt driven pump.

Triple R I'm already committed . It's paid for and on. PLEASE just this one time help me be an idiot !! Nothing has been simple, why start now!? It's already a hodge podge of aftermarket parts that I've fought tooth and nail to make fit together. Again, please help-NO "I TOLD YA SO's" just this one time?

This may or may not be of any help..........Maziere remote electric pump......... ATI damper with Chev pulley pattern. It opened up dozens of choices for pulleys.

Attachments

• cutting 034.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 307
jpar
I have a shed full of stuff that didnt work out the way I'd hoped.I really have to agree with Rusty on this one.Sometimes its better to back up, than to keep banging into the wall.

jpar
I have a shed full of stuff that didnt work out the way I'd hoped.I really have to agree with Rusty on this one.Sometimes its better to back up, than to keep banging into the wall.
na- damn the torpedoes ! I'm going to make it work. I seem to live for the challenge in almost everything I do, and especially the duster. I just find it hard to think I'm the only one who has or has had a problem with this configuration?

This may or may not be of any help........Maziere remote electric pump......... ATI damper with Chev pulley pattern. It opened up dozens of choices for pulleys.
now wait a minute isn't that a race car? shouldn't you have about 6 or 7 more pulleys to keep the belt stable? LOL
I don't understand why you can have a custom motor and I can't? Is it because my car is not fast enough yet?
It's really seeing hard core engines like yours that inspires my thinking of what I whould I'd like the motor to be like. (The first comments are for Triple R--Remove, Repair & Replace)

You have helped keep me encouraged and thats all i really need to keep going!! Thank you.......

First you get good...............Then you get fast..................Then........

Back to your pump.Tell you what I would do.I would; Put a hi-flo mechanical pump on for now, with a thermostatic 7-blade, large diameter fan, and go have fun for the summer. I would then work on the electrical pump,ptoui, next winter.
No thats not true. That pump would end up in the shed with all the other, um , ideas I had that didnt work out.
Solves all your current pump/belt issues.

now wait a minute isn't that a race car? shouldn't you have about 6 or 7 more pulleys to keep the belt stable? LOL
I don't understand why you can have a custom motor and I can't? Is it because my car is not fast enough yet?
It's really seeing hard core engines like yours that inspires my thinking of what I whould I'd like the motor to be like. (The first comments are for Triple R--Remove, Repair & Replace)

You have helped keep me encouraged and thats all i really need to keep going!! Thank you.......

This is a street car. lol
I simply haven't gotten it to the track yet , but I made a series of compromises to give it some manners. That is roughly four years of scrimping , saving and doing a lot of it myself.
The open cam drive and belt driven distributor are more show and tell than necessity.
Thanks for digging it. That is one reason why it took the form it did.... it will see the track very soon and if I can get it to hook , it should be even more fun.

I have a NOS six blade pump laying around if you need one , and I like the keep it simple advice.
The learning curve gets steep and slippery when we get to the deep end of the pool.
Get it running and reliable , then start trying to figure out how to change that. LOL
I had a very nice running 340 in this and enjoyed it for five years or so before I lost my mind and got serious with it.:D

yes I thought I would share a couple up to date pictures to kind of let everybody know how committed I am to the electric water pump. as you can see its already on paid for and everything. I do have a stock fan, stock shroud, stock pulley, and stock water pump if I so desire. Which I don't. this car is dragging only and you can see the old pulley that I took off that really doesn't match completely custom motor and accommodating parts. I can't see how taking off the electric pump that's brand new and you know how much those cost scraping the gasket off all that stuff and putting on an old stock water pump is going to be easier and simply finding an under drive pulley and putting on the six Bolts and a belts?
tubtar-thank you for the offer of the fan and that stuff. I don't have any cooling problems whatsoever as a matter of fact I have to look to make sure I got the car warmed up enough in between rounds. the car does run very well and I'm very pleased with it. certainly have a hard understanding what would go through all the trouble of putting and I say putting as in its like simple or something which it's not a hard project. scraping cleaning regooping draining all the water all that crap just to put it all back the way it was. Again I would rather just find an under drive pulley put it on with 6 bolts and call it done.
I really just opened this thread to get maybe a picture of someone who's done the same thing I can't imagine I'm the only one out there was a small block Mopar that bought a Proform electric water pump and needs a underdrive pulley that protrudes 3 inches from the flywheel to the center of the groove.? It just seems unrealistic that I'm the only one who's tried this or have done this?
Triple R - reduce reuse recycle mom said if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all
you just seem to want to throw a stick in my spokes instead of help?
this is strictly built as a quarter mile car and is constantly at six grand plus I don't want to run the water pump and other things at this rpm. even though I don't have any kind of overheating problem I haven't made it to the heart of the summer yet, it is nice to be able to turn my fans and my water pump on and let them run and cool the car as I desire or as needed.View attachment 20150621_204547.jpg

View attachment 20150621_204418.jpg

View attachment 20150621_204441.jpg

-
Back